AEG to sell 3 of its 5 clubs

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Nov 2, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...833.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer-gal

There was a town hall meeting last night out in LA with AEG's Tim Leiweke. Big news for DC is that AEG wants to sell 3 of its 5 teams.

Other news according to this thread
    Leiweke also said that AEG is planning a 24/7 soccer network, Real Madrid is touring the US next summer and the expansion teams will be Chivas and Cleveland and they start it 2005.

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I worry that an AEG soccer network would detract from FSW, which has represented MLS very well over the past two seasons.

I hope there is a way they can compliment each other and work together -- for obvious reasons.

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now here's an idea: Have AEG sell DCU to Placido Domingo (who once owned a piece of the team). Not only is he a soccer fan (Spanish born, raised in Mexico), but he could sing the National Anthem the way it SHOULD be sung!

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one thing you must remember that FSW doesn't reach nearly as many homes as ESPN for example. Lots of people (if not most) only get the soccer that they can see on the Disney owned networks and whatever Spanish language networks they may receive. There is also a movement happening to make the sports networks premium. Adding an AEG soccer network will just mean more chance for more to get some soccer IMO.
    As I have mentioned many times, I can't even get FSW where I live and perhaps AEG will make deals that are more attractive to my cable system. A dish will not work here because of an obstruction called a "mountain".

Oct. 8, 2003
    "One of the nation's largest cable operators says the sports channels have become too expensive for its basic packages and should become premium content.

Jim Robbins, chief executive of Cox Communications, says his customers are ready to embrace the change he says is forced by the fact the ESPN and Fox Sports channels combine for 8 percent of Cox's cable viewers and 32 percent of its costs."

5. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    You could offer him all the nachos and hotdogs he can eat at the games as added incentive.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You can have Placido. I'll take Lisa Ferris!

[​IMG]

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The only thing that would change that is if people changed over to DirectTV, but like you said there are many people (myself included) because of the location of their hone.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I wonder which 3.

I hope the new AEG network will be available on cable. Right now I do not get FSW. The MLS shootout shows all the games but a lot of the games are now taped delayed because of college, e.g. the Metrostars game was tape delya.

I hope Real Madrid gets to play some MLS competition including DC United.

I have friends in Cleveland, so that road trip works really good for me.

I hate Chivas with a great hating already.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I thought the person who sang it last night did a great job.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto that is why I am paying extra for Fox Sports Espanol despite not being able to speak any Spanish, lest what I learn from my La Norte brethern.

11. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    AEG *wants* to sell 3 of its 5 clubs

I think this thread is badly titled. It suggests that AEG is selling three of its clubs. AEG has said it *wants* to sell three of its clubs; I *want* to have millions of dollars so that I can buy DCU (and a nice house overlooking the Potomac :) ). There's a long way between wanting to and doing so.

As for which three, the article (really an overgrown paragraph) says
    That *sounds* to me like they don't much care which three, just so they don't have to carry five on their books, so there will be more investors to spread the losses across.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AEG *wants* to sell 3 of its 5 clubs

Also, they have said something along this lines for a couple of years now.

13. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Yes. She has some nice lungs. A very well-rounded voice, too.

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    My guess is that he would retain New York and LA. New York is by far the largest market, and while technically the Metros are in New Jersey, they are the team that has the rights to the New York market. LA is where he has the Staples Center and now the Home Depot Center. My guess would be that if/when MLS really takes off, these are the two investments that he would like to hold onto and sell later. Also, if stadia are built in all of the markets, these are the two that are most likely to be of benefit to Anschutz, especially the Harrison, New Jersey location for concerts etc.

San Jose is almost certainly a sales candidate. I think Anschutz is holding off on selling Chicago until he has a stadium solution/commitment. DC is a team that might actually have interest, so they are a likely sales candidate as well. I know that there are many players who might actually pony up large sums of money for the rights to LA, but I don't see them offering those for a few more years.

If DC United is sold, I can only hope that we get a good owner, because we have been blessed with a great front office since 1996, and while the ship is currently listing, I do not expect it to sink unless a meddlesome owner tries to reinvent us in his own image.

-Digital

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm positive this is not correct.

I know Domingo's name was floated about a few years ago (when the team first went on the market and before AEG came and bailed us out) in terms of being interested in purchasing DCU, or being part of an ownership group, but he never wrote the check.

16. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    So is it set in stone that Cleveland will get an expansion team? I came is late.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If AEG sells United, what does that do to our stadium prospects?

18. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Lets say that both Chicago and Metros are successful in securing stadium deals, with AEG providing around 30 mil for each. That would mean that AEG would have to kiss goodbye to at least one of the stadiums that it has invested in, not to mention rumors that they are looking to put in 30 mil worth of renovations into Spartan Stadium. The way I look at it, AEG may be looking to "sell" the franchises that have stadiums at a steep price (25-35 mil) and retain either a stake in the teams, or at least operation of the stadiums(don't forget AEG's concert promotion thing), or both.

I guess what I'm trying to put forth is that Anschutz may be "fattening up" these franchises with stadiums. If that's the case, and I may be wrong, DC's stadium prospects look OK.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends on a lot of factors. The story never gave a time frame so Anschutz could be looking to build, then sell the franchise and act as leaseholder. He has a concert promotion business as well.

Or he could recruit someone willing to build themselves. I think the Kroenke move sets that up as the MO of future deals.

20. jkorzen

jkorzen New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    washington, dc
    Dan Snyder would be a fun new owner for DCU. He could shell out millions for some of the best players and coaches in the world and still manage to miss the playoffs every year.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    If you want prices raised every year and a mediocre product on the field, then Daniel Snyder would be the perfect owner. As a 'Skins fan who lives in Dallas what he has done to that historic franchise is criminal.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Wasn't there talk of Ted Leonsis a while back?

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'cause he's done such a good job with the Caps??? Besides, his pockets may not be deep enough after paying Jagr. And I think his stock tanked worse than Uncle Phil's.

24. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    AEG has been unable to sell their teams before. Not sure they can do it now. Maybe they'll offer ownership at a lower price and w/less single-entity meddling.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC, he lost around $20 mil with the Caps last year. This loss mainly comes from the fact that he does not own the Wizards or the MCI Center (there is an agreement in place for him to buy both once Pollion wants out/dies) which are the two things that make money. The Caps have gone down hill because Leonsis cannot afford to lose that much cash, so he has to cut back. Getting Jagr may have been a mistake, a very costly one, but he is not in Snyder's class.