AEG, SJState, and a stadium in a pear tree

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by HalaMadrid, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Ouch! :(

2. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff, you always have good things to say. That's an awesome idea! I definitely think a stadium deal would have to be more than just a bare bones stadium. For Columbus, that's fine. But for NJ or LA, a entire park is more appropriate to revitalize the area. In addition to gaining the revenues from tickets, parking, merchandise, etc., commercial businesses immediately adjacent to the stadium have an interest in the success/viability of the stadium since it is the centerpiece of the park.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Close. The Revs have moved into a soccer-ready facility (as have the Rapids). While not as ideal as having their own soccer-specific stadium, at least the Revs' Investor/Operators are receiving all stadium revenue and have total stadium control (including scheduling).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Heck, there were even rumors of the Tampa Bay Mutiny ready to acquire the NFL Buccaneers' Glazer family as Investor/Operators and moving the team into brand-new (at the time) soccer-ready Raymond James Stadium... unfortunately, that acquisition never materialized. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And of course, there have been rumors for DC and KC, as well as definite news for the MetroStars and Chicago, so San Jose was the last MLS bastion of the SSS rumorless/newsless... until now.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

4. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I used to practice at Cal State Hayward. It would suck to drive to, not very close to the freeways and with one or two access roads.

Although the view is nice, and it would probably shave 20 miles from my drive...

5. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Not sure if this would fly. I'm guessing that Spartan Stadium is really close to sea level. If so, the stadium can't be dug too low, because you'll break the water table. That's a big issue at Candlestick, which is why the field is always wet, and at the Coliseum.

6. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Superfund Site?

Isn't there a toxic Superfund site right near where we're proposing a new stadium?

If I remember correctly, and I might be wrong, the site is just southwest of the stadium. That could certainly cause issues...

Someone help me out here.

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    You are correct. The old Lorentz Barrel & Drum site was an EPA Superfund cleanup. It sits on the southwest corner of 10th and Alma Streets. Where I think they're looking, if the rumour linking AEG with SJSU is correct, is the northeast corner, the area once known as Bud Winter Field, alternately known as Lot 6 and 6a on your parking maps. Since SJSU's South Campus boundary ends at Alma Street, I wouldn't think that the old Lorentz Barrel & Drum site would be open to negotiation with the University.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    You know, for all of you dismissing this as merely a rumor, the Sports Business Journal is hardly the National Enquirer. It's pretty much the premier publication for anything sports-related in the world, much less the US, and this came out of an article that was about COLLEGE facilities, not soccer ones. If they said negotiations are taking place, you can bet negotiations are taking place. An agreement may never come to fruition...but something is certainly at least cooking.

9. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    First, Hala...thanks for offering this up to us. I agree with those that say it is nice to know the idea is at least being thought about.

While I love the downtown/riverside suggestion, the deal seems to be between the university and AEG, meaning it would involve land already possessed by SJSU. The two most ingenious items mentioned so far have been Spartacus' concept of a White Hall Lane-type facility on the block that is across the street on the East side of the current Spartan stadium. Also, Wolves gets high marks for his suggestion of "layered parking." (Leave it to a SoCal guy to think automobiles on a grand scale!) He's right, though. Picture if you will...

PHASE 1: Build a multi-level parking garage on the lot that is currently paved directly across the street from Spartan on the West side (7th Street/Alma.) I doubt SJSU owns it but whoever does would surely like to make a little "scratch" from AEG in a property deal, no?! Once a multi-level garage is built, you have accounted for parking and free up the grass fields on the East side of the stadium for later development.

(CQ and tailgaters, don't get mad yet....I'm not through. Stay with me.)

All of those who have been parking across 10th street on the would-be site of the new stadium could now park in the multi-level garage, making way for the bulldozers and shovels to have at it. All parking/tailgating on the East lot grass fields would continue, as is, until the completion of the new facility on the other side of 10th St.

PHASE 2: Build the new stadium using a good portion of that block but do it as Spartacus suggested, below street level. On street level, you create your offices/shops/whatever and leave a reasonably sized grass area that could act as a practice field for SJSU soccer AND double as an area for tailgating on game days, much like the grass on the East side does now. Once this is accomplished, you have now made way for anything to happen on the block where Spartan currently sits.

PHASE 3: Do what you will to the current Spartan Stadium (or don't change anything. Why would you need to?) If you would have to rebuild the softball diamond and tennis courts, you could do so on the grass fields on the East side where we currently park and tailgate. (But we won't care because we'd now be tailgating across 10th street next to the new building!!)

End result...New SSS which can be shared by SJSU soccer on a loan basis. Football team gets their stadium all to themselves--no date conflicts. SJSU doesn't sqwuak about lost revenue because they get new tennis, softball and soccer facilities to use (maybe even some $$ from AEG to sew up any loose ends.) And, the parking capacity issue has been addressed by the new multi-level garage on 7th/Alma. Sure,that's a bit of a walk to the new SSS but it's only a shade further than the walk now. Wouldn't you walk an extra 50 yards to a new SSS?

What I like about this plan is that if you follow these phases, at no time is anyone "out" of a facility or parking. There would be no need to demolish the training facilities for the university next to current Spartan or the additional South Campus housing units.

Show of hands??

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys have a future as architects:)

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There are several underground parking garages in San Francisco. Doesn't San Jose have some? If they do, then the water table is low enough.....

BTW, in Monterey they have a parking garage about 60 yards from the beach that is 4 stories underground. I've never heard of it flooded....

12. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Re: Superfund Site?

"Hey coach, how come they put the visitors locker room so far from the field?"

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is that a picture of, goodsie?

15. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Yeah-What is that Picture?

I like it for our new digs (A.K.A. "The Epicentre"-maybe that "re" at the end is a little too euro-snobbish...). Now in the upper right corner of the photo, just shave off that area between the stands at a 45 degree angle, and turn that into team headquarters and townhouses that look out over the field and wrap the front of the building into a Santana Row-type of thing down the stands behind the goal and we're on to something.
    How about Donovan Drive? Or maybe just a pub called Donovan's. Or would "The Cowboy and The Goose" sound better?

16. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    that stadium needs a roof....

o/w.....nice......

17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

The Epicenter has already been done...in Rancho Cucamonga (Cal League Baseball)

And there's something not right with SSSSim...no luxury suites!

Donovan's Reef? Nah, I like the idea of Donovan's...sounds classy.

18. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Yeah, can't get in unless you take your shirt off.

...so when's "Lady's Night?"

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That's the soccer-specific stadium from SimCity 4. A team headquarters, townhouses, a pub, and a stadium roof will all be my next priority in the game. :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Notice how it's located near streets, a train station, a nearby highway, and future light-rail expansion... just like that empty yard near the 'HP Pavilion at San Jose'? ;)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Ran by Oscar Draguicevich and Jeff Agoos, no doubt? :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "And coach, why does my hand now look like this?"

22. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of great ideas!!!

Spartacus, great thought with the "White Hart Lane" look....

Remodeling the east stand of Spartan is probably bot the solution, unless you also do a major upgrade on the West Side. People who spend the big money want to sit on the shady side! As you know, the tickets on the east side currently are much cheaper than the same ones on the west side, which I believe was done to make the stadium look fuller for TV. Anyway, working press and fat cats don't want to be blinded by the sunset.

For this reason and others, I believe the new stadium is the way to go.

23. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Jmeissen found this quote from Garber in today's LA Times:

"We also are close to announcing an investor taking over one of our existing teams, and that would be the first transfer of ownership since Phil Anschutz took over New York in 2001. So we are feeling pretty encouraged with the new investor interest in our league."

San Jose comes to mind pretty quickly. This wouldn't fit if Anshutz badly wanted to build with San Jose State. His philosphy is to own as much of the entertainment property and transaction as possible.

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email to apply be on the committee to chose the new SJSU president. Hmm.... "So tell me, don't you think that soccer is the sport of the future and could be the most profitable sport for the university given proper investment? And as such, shouldn't the university invest more in this sport than any other, including investment in a new stadium?" Sounds like the perfect interview questions to me! :p

25. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    I hope, San Jose will still be managed by AEG, but some other team, currently managed by AEG, will be transferred elsewhere.
    It's a bit scary that one guy operates how much? 5? 6? teams in this league - it'd be better to not keep all eggs in the one basket.