AEG powerman blasts ChampionsWorld, Man U

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Nov 14, 2004.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Re: AEG powerman blasted ChampionsWorld, Man U

Nobody's saying there shouldn't be some restictions so they all don't flow to one club, but the league has got to open it up. NASL collapsed for a lot of reasons, primarily over-expansion. I've never said start ten new teams at once. And certainly not in places like Salt Lake City.

I don't always write these posts anymore, since I'm aware you good folks don't want the league to grow into a first-class world league. Most of you prefer the guys to stay home and not go abroad, bring in a few cheap slave-wage Central Americans to flesh out the rosters, and keep it all to your little cult selves. In other words: "Eff the world. It's OUR league and it's gonna stay OUR league."

Some of you also tend to look down your noses at those who may be newer fans. I call this the "There At The Creation" complex. You think your somehow superior because you've been watching crap longer or something.

The only reason I got into this thread is because I'm not going to stand by and have ChanpionsWorld bashed for being one of the reasons MLS can't get butts in the seats. If ChampionsWorld didn't exist, you think attendence would be any better?

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Changes in the soccer marketplace make this a very stupid proposal. There are alot of factors, but a very big one is that the money from the CL has gotten silly, so that a Beckham will always be more valuable in Europe than here.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Garber is such a brilliant businessman - MLS is lucky to have him, seriously.

He makes the nicey-nicey talk for the first two years of ChampWold tours. And let's them screw up. Bayern - ManU debacle? Low attendance in P-burg? Noises from Manu about how much more $$ they make on Asian tours than on ChampWorld tour.

Now he turns up the screws in CW. Now CW needs MLS to some extent or face declining revenue.

BTW Riverplate, what is the biggest draw next year for the soccer fan living in the US? ChampionsWorld or the US-Mex WCQ?

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

I should hope the latter, depending upon where it is and what the CW line-up is.

What's that got to do with MLS in the long run?

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

I would have thought a more relevant question is why can I see all these empty seats at the MLS Cup final, MLS's showcase game? Champions World is just noise in the bigger picture of things; not sure why people get so bent out of shape by a bunch of pre-season friendlies.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Oh, yeah, where do you intend on holding the WCQ? Someplace "safe" where Mexicans won't outdraw the home-grown throngs, I'm sure.

Hold it here at Giants Stadium. I'm dying to see the crowd make-up.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guarantee 27,000 tickets were paid for. However, with the Galaxy not making it, I'm guessing many of the Galaxy season ticket holders aren't there.

8. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I'm sick and tired of seeing these Champions World is bad for MLS threads!!! All the MLS fans start in with oh the Euros are so scared of how good DC United are and stuff like that. Look lets be realistic here if DC United played a full strength Man U Real Madrid or even a Celtic that would be really bad for MLS because it would show how far behind they really are and we would have nothing to argue about in these forums. But seriously if Man U and DC United played and DC got spanked like 6-0 or something like that it can only hurt MLS so basically there is no benefit to MLS in playing the Euro clubs there's only a downside.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

jayro... it's preseason... they wouldn't play everyone (they never have)... it wouldn't be that bad and either team could seriously win it (check past exhibitions between mls and euro teams for proof on that)

they should play us, but i don't think they should only play us

10. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I hear ya but 1 of the previous posts was how they're scared to play MLS teams. I'm just saying if a full strength Man U or Real or AC Milan played any MLS team and it meant something like a trophy or some kind of bragging rights then I'm sorry to say the MLS team is probably gonna get spanked and that can't be good for soccer here in the US.

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

they will never play a full strength team unless there was a crap load of money going to the winner

i doubt they care if they win or lose... it's a question more if the fans of their team recognize it's preseason... but i imagine they would have a clue

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And, how are those Cosmos doing now...?

:rolleyes:

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

yep, that's exactly the reason. That's exactly why top clubs never play friendlies against clubs from supposed "weaker" leagues and they never play friendlies against lower division clubs in their own country.

They clearly also fear the prospect of playing a match where their own fans would be outnumbered, and the prospect of facing a hostile crowd, as they just aren't use to that in their own countries.

Another reason the likes of Man Utd demand to play another top side is because they'd feel guilty about taking their guaranteed appearence money if their games didn't sell out. ChampionsWorld are obviously only too happy to take that loss, as they are running the tour as a service for soccer fans in the US, but the PLC mentality of Man Utd persuades them it's for their own good.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the bottom line.

Personally, I think that Champions World's hey-day has already come and gone.

15. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State

When Chumpworld started their little boondoggle, I came right here on Bigsoccer and said MLS fans should boycott the games because they do not play MLS teams, and provide no direct benefit to MLS. An MLS fan needs no more justification than that to keep their money, and ask that other MLS fans keep their money too. In fact, if Garber came out tomorrow and said that, I'd support him.

Chumpworld is a lost marketing opportunity for MLS, and Garber knows it. Getting MLS teams onto the field in front of fans who have continually turned their nose up at MLS is worth something. Many of these people showed up for a game in 1996, and never came back. He wants another chance at them.

Did Chumpworld and Garber ever talk cash? Was Chumpworld ever reasonable in demanding some amount of cash for one of their teams to play an MLS side? Or did the teams playing for Chumpworld say "look we already have the cash in our accounts from you and we don't like injury, let's just stick to the plan and not even offer MLS the chance to come up with the money. An injury to just one million dollar player makes the entire adventure a loss." Is that how it happened? No one knows.

I agree that MLS has gone too far the other way and is failing to sign high quality international players. The Mexican league is now replete with Brazilians and players from somewhere else, and the league is playing pretty well right now.

But don't stroke me, Euro-snobs will never be MLS season ticket holders anyway, so MLS risking millions to win them would be stupid. The object is to get them to come to two or three games a year. Even a Eurosnob could be persuaded to do that, if MLS puts up a good fight with a Chumpworld team.

16. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

I don't know about you but I get more excited thinking about the newest 22 year old draftee who manages to wrangle a "lofty" $850 a month developmental player contract.

Moves like this are what proves to me that MLS is serious about improving the quality on the field.

/end sarcasm

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Why would the league go belly up?

How would spending money on actual quality players be any different than some of the dumb crap MLS has pissed money away on the last 9 years?

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

I find the fact that you devoted three entire paragraphs responding to that post highly amusing.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

I will say this again.

MLS is trying too hard to emulate the other leagues in this country by trying to get by with mediocrity. The only difference is that people who love the game in this country can easily turn on a TV and see excellence, realise MLS is not it and move on.

We have done the same thing for 9 years. At what point do people start realising that some things need to be changed?

20. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

You have no idea how much in denial some people are.

21. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

The fact you actually believe this is quite sad.

Will that game draw several hundred thousand fans?

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't wait until Rommel gets to my post.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Listen eurosnobs are not to blame for everything.

At some point you people have to realise that MLS are not compelling and the quality is relatively low.

There are about three entertaining teams in this league. Few people want to spend good money watching Columbus draw ten games in a row.

At some point the fans have to put pressure on the legue to improve the quality.

24. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

What post?

And its Rommul not Rommel.

My handle has nothing to do with that german.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This one.
    My apologies for the typo.