AEG given permission to move Quakes in 30 days

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

Most MLS players have other jobs coaching youth teams.

2. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus

no, columbus certainly is not.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, he's probably an "agent" for some of his favorite Hooters Girls.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) You do know that the Yankees were threatening to move out to New Jersey back in the bad old Whitson/Mell Hall Days and Georgie was crying about the crime rate around the Bronx stunting attednence (which was MLSian). Never say "Never"

ii) All Payne said was he'd move the team out of the city. Never said he'd move it far away. i.e if DC didn't put up and he could do it in Southern Maryland or Northern Va, so be it.

c) San Jose needs an I/O and an SSS. If they can't acquire either one, they are gone. If they do , they stay. Right now, it's 50-50. Attendence means very little in the scheme of things. I fail to see why this is such a ********ing difficult concept to comprehend?

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Now, I'm all into Smurf-Smack as a past-time (4-2 F.U.!!, but I digress :D )

But actually, if SJ were to have a decent, brand new stadium, they would probably average 18K.

They'd have more control over their dates. They'd be able to schedule 4th of July games. International double-headers would be more appealing and more frequent.

A key thing is that the stability w/ a stadium would speak volumes to the community, and SJ tickets would be more of a commodity. In short, instead of packing the East sideline (celui qui fait que "It looks like more on t.v.") w/ the 2nd cheapest tix in the house ($15 or $16, can't remember), they would be able to get legit prices for more of the house. $15 for 50 yard line!! That limits revenue.

One other thing is that a potential Club America Houston is worth a truckload more WITH a SJ franchise. Chivas USA currently makes SJ that much more valuable b/c they will bring in 10K plus per season in SJ alone. CA would do prolly a lil' more than that b/c the Bay Area is more CA country than Chivas, or so I'm told. Then factor in playoffs.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you saying the Crew aren't making money after being assessed their share of league costs (which I can believe) or that Lamar loses money on the Crew and the stadium (which I cannot)?

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SpartanShops does not own Spartan Stadium. They are just contractors to SJ State University.

If the University were to award the contract to the MLS team operator, instead of another entity that keeps all the parking and most of concession revenues, there could be a deal.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

When does that contract expire?

9. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA

While I wholeheartedly agree that "controlling revenue streams" and "keeping all the money" is the best-case scenario for any pro sports franchise, I'm not quite sure how they play a role in the better financial condition that Revolution executives told you their team is now enjoying. After all, Revolution ownership (the Kraft family) has always controlled revenue streams, both at Foxboro Stadium and Gillette Stadium.

Bob Kraft purchased Foxboro Stadium out of bankruptcy in 1988. He bought out James Busch Orthwein as the Patriots' owner in 1994. He launched the Revolution as one of Major League Soccer's inaugural season franchises in 1996. In other words, since buying the franchises the Kraft family has always controlled the revenue streams for both teams at both stadiums.

I would suspect that the Revolution being "better off financially now" is simply part and parcel of the Kraft's overall sports empire being more finacially sound - driven by the rise of the Patriots as a perennial Super Bowl-winning NFL power.

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

The thing is that one of the crippling factors for a public university, and the reason why they farm this out, is that any employee would be a state/university employee and be eligible for the stellar fringe benefits.

By the university collecting a predictable fee, that guarantees income for the university w/o the risk of hiring an 18 year old to sell pretzels and keeping the job for decades.

More than likely, AEG or MLS would be a more suitable operator b/c of their connections w/in the soccer world. I'd imagine that they would get a better deal than spartan shops. [/SPIT]

11. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues

come to QUAKES link to view backdoor scoop on AEG shanenigans

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As Shaydee posted on page 1:

http://washington.smartceo.com/cover.html

(Emphasis mine.)

Now, I don't doubt that this is a negotiating ploy, but Payne said it and it is within the realm of possibility because of what you said in your third point.

13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck Quake fans.
    You deserve to keep your team,especially with
    those great attendances at the end of the regular
    season.

14. bridgeviewturd

bridgeviewturd BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview

UM no, the Ft Lauderdale strikers were for a few years and the Seattle Sounders are still in exsistence, but go ahead and bleieve that if it makes you feel and better

the turd

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He'll believe that because he's right.

The Strikers were in Ft. Lauderdale in 1977-1983 and moved to Minnesota for 1984.

The NASL Sounders' last season was 1983. The current Sounders was a brand-new team that started in 1994.

On the other hand, the NASL Earthquakes continued playing after the NASL's collapse until 1988, though the franchise legally stayed in existence until 1990.

-G

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Earthquakes played in the Western Soccer Alliance for four years after the NASL folded. Not a high level, but better than anything else going on at the time, and as I said, the only NASL club to remain in the outdoor soccer business after 1984. 1988 was their last season, and their spot in the league was given to the San Francisco Bay Blackhawks, who lasted through 1992. The WSA became part of the APSL, precursor to the A-League/USL-1.

17. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

The Blackhawks had players such as current head and assistant coaches Dominic Kinnear and John Doyle as well as players who would later become part of the MLS San Jose Clash such as Paul Bravo, Eric Wynalda, Troy Dayak, Lawrence Lozzano and Paul Hollocher.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After leaving the APSL following the 1992 season, the San Francisco Bay Blackhawks played one season in the USISL (1993) as the San Jose Hawks. Later on, the Hawks morphed into the San Jose Clash (as explained in the 1994 and 1995 entries here, though I only got the info about the USISL Hawks after posting that timeline).

-G

19. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

San Dimas high school football rules! :D

...except for their keeper.

20. lpowen13

lpowen13 Member

Jul 28, 2002
    NY

this is ****************....plain and simple

21. Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

A couple of points. First DC, they will most likely get a stadium because the guy that bought them is a real estate developer and I'm sure knows how to grease the right palms in government to make it happen. Thats his whole business. I wouldnt worry too much there as it almost seemed like he bought DC as much as a pawn to develop the area where the stadium will be as anything. If it doesnt happen they are definately a candidate to move regardless of winning. Its business at the end of the day. As far as SJ goes, I've always thought AEG actually saved them rather than aquired them in 2001. I dont think they ever wanted the team. I think they did it as much for the sake of MLS as anything. As Tim L. says I think all they ever wanted was LA,Chi, and NY. The developments of the next month should be very interesting.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, AEG co-ran SJ in 2002 and saved/acquired them in 2003 (technically, in December 2002).

SVS&E ran the Quakes in 2001 and only left altogether several months after the San Jose Sharks were sold to new owners in March 2002.

-G

23. Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

OK. Good luck hope it works out for you guys.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. :)

-G

25. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football

AEG know whats in store for san jose they just wont make any firm staement so they put out this 50 50 crap.....

i asure you this deal is all but done and AEG and who ever have sealed the deal and will leave it to MLS o break the news at MLS Cup or a few weeks after