AEG given permission to move Quakes in 30 days

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Nov 4, 2005.

1. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

After the doom and gloom of the last few weeks, I think the San Jose faithful should be ecstatic to have a 50% chance. And for AEG to acknowledge the existance of a local investor, you folks should be giddy. To be honest, I beleive most of us have been thinking the Quakes had absolutely no chance and now you got at least half a chance. That's good news, if you ask me.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Point is there are plans for a stadium, and alternatives should the current plans fall through. The team may move out of DC proper, but its pretty unlikely they move to another market all together.

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's exactly my point. We'll know in 2-3 years time if DC United will have a stadium deal or not. That's why I rate DC United as safe for the next 2-3 years. In 3 years time, if there is no prospect of a SSS and it looks like DC United will not break even until 2020, I think the owners will put the team for sale like KC/SJ. At least that how I would do it if I am the owners. However, it looks very good that DC United will have a SSS by 2008 or 2009.

My beef is with people that believe DC United will NEVER move. 99.5% chance of not moving is not NEVER.

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unlike DC United, the Yankees actually make money. If the Yankees continue to lose millions years after years with no prospect of profit without a Yankee Stadium, and they could make a profit by moving it to City X, there is a chance that Yankees will move. How much of a chance? I don't know.

People who refuse to believe that MLS will not move a team even if it can't make a profit for the foreseeable future is living in fantasy land. Look at the NFL, they moved out of Los Angeles TWICE. Look at baseball, they moved a lot of teams around. Look at NHL, they moved some teams out of Canada and into the SUn belt States.

5. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

Will the Yankees move if plans for a new ballpark fall through? (See, the criteria for the Yankees moving is a bit different than the KC Royals, MN Twins or TB Devil Rays -- and the issue is not just micro economics)

I don't want to hijack this thread any further so I'll let it go with this, but DCU has too much brand identity to MLS to ever move the team, even if as a stand-alone entity, they lose a modest amount of money.

MLS is not the NFL. It's not even the NBA or NHL. It can't afford to lose its most well-known brand, and one with one of its most consistent fan bases, at least at a time when it's struggling to make itself and many of its clubs a known brand.

Now if DCU's fanbase disappeared and attendance stopped being strong, that would be a different story. (Again, the relevance of attendance is not just monetary, it's an issue of image for the league. Perhaps the Green Bay Packers would be a similar analogy, with the exception that the NFL has reached a point where it could survive the loss of a marquee brand like that. MLS hasn't reached that point.)

6. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

Again, I'd like to know when you audited DC's books? I also disagree with your statement that the Yankees make money. I believe they actually operate in the red as a stand-alone entity net of their YankeeNets media arrangements.

If MLS were the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL, then that might be true. But it's not.

(sorry, this really will be my last hijack post. :D)

7. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right about that, but DC is the flagship franchise it would be like shutting the Cosmos or Yankees or Cowboys down (See the NASL which is the only league to actually have their flagship go under). While you can envision that scenario happening or even a scenario where it is even plausible, but it would likely also signify the deathknell of the league (since it would by your timeline have to occur within the next few years with either a stadium or they're gone).

MLS cannot do without LA, DC and a team representing the NYC metro area and have any hope of keeping Madison Ave $$$ funneling into the coffers. DC United is MLS to most people from the outside looking in. You can't clip your brand and hope to succeed. Anheiser Busch can't just say we're not making Budweiser anymore because it isn't profitable as we hoped. If they did it to Michelob or Busch it wouldn't look good for them, but they could live with it. Doing that to Bud or Bud Light would either send their company under or be a good prognosticator that they're already on their way. DC, LA and Metrostars are currently the "Budweisers" of MLS.

8. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You obviously have no idea what the ******** you are talking about. As several other posters have pointed out, it is all about the control of revenue. Ticket sales is just one piece of the puzzle and not the largest by any means. Parking, concessions and signage, not to mention luxury boxes are the big ticket items. You need 100% of those dollars, and you don't get that playing in someone else's house. Then there is the local sponsorship package (which Chivas USA understands) and local TV (which the folks in LA have done with Fox).

Kevin Payne undestands this, AEG understands this and deep down inside paranoid Earthquake fan gets this. That's why the threat of moving ANY team without its OWN SSS is real. 17K will not keep anyone around in today's economy jacka$$!

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will just say this: MLB might not be able to afford to lose the NY Yankees (even if the team lose tens of millions each year) but MLS can afford to lose DC United if the team lose $2-3 million each year with no prospect of breaking even.

In business, firm/company can lose money for a number of years but if it has no prospect of breaking even for the next 10-15 years, it will likely go bankcrupt. DC United is a business with owners who are looking for a return.

Here's what DC United's future might hinge on

"We are going to create a large neighborhood," boasted Payne. "The first phase which will come even before a stadium is built will cost up to $700 million. We are 100 percent convinced that the project we will undertake will not only dramatically change the fortunes of DC United, it will also change the fortunes of the Anacostia community as well."

One key difference between the fight over a new stadium for the Nationals and the proposal for Poplar Point is that the baseball stadium project depends on a gross receipts tax on major businesses in Washington, in other words, public financing. Payne’s plan calls for all private funding, and he notes that a few potential lenders have expressed interest in helping him finance the project.

Will Payne and the other owners of DC United get $700 million from the potential lenders? Yes, but it's not a certainty. I wouldn't rate DC United chance of staying in DC as a 100% 'sure thing' if there is no prospect for a stadium in the forseeable future.

I agree. Let's stop with the hijacking of this thread and get back to the original topic. It's pointless to discuss the view that DC United will NEVER move and the view point that there is a small chance that DC United will move. Let's hope that in 3 years time, the DC United SSS is a reality.

10. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

arghhhhhhh MLS without a DC franchise would be like MLB without a NY Franchise ( Yankees)

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

This isn't even remotely relevant to the discussion - mainly because the Yankees already control most of the revenue from their current stadium. Please try again.

12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

Let's say in March that we knew in November that the Quakes would still have no announced owner or stadium. What would we have said their approximate odds of survival were?

It might be for a series of negative reasons - no buyer, no suitable stadium deal in another city, no chance of making a profit elsewhere in the near term - but I think the Quakes will be back in Spartan for yet one more year. Or if not in Spartan, the South Bay equivalent of Dragon Stadium. If someone isn't interested in buying your used car, you might not get new upholstery, but you don't push it over a cliff, either.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

You keep asking this. Have you?

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Spot on. Now let the speculation begin on what the South Bay equivalent of Dragon Stadium will be. Bye bye, Spartan Shops. ;)

15. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose

That should end the hijacked portion of the thread, anyways.

16. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Rev and Sox fan, I'm not seeing a downside here. ;)

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Agreed.

I think that by December 1st we should know where both teams are playing next season.

If San Jose is moving, I'd think they'd wait until after MLS Cup weekend to announce it.

If either team is being transfered to new local ownership, I'm guessing they'll want to introduce the new ownership - if possible - during MLS Cup weekend.

If Kansas City is doing a move now and expand back when a stadium is built, I can see that announcement being next weekend as it is a "win-win" scenario.

In short, good news next weekend, bad news by December 1st.

If we've heard nothing by December 1st on either team, the time frame for relocation begins to get prohibitively small for 2006.

I don't see contraction as an option, whatsoever.

18. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

If you want to start a separate thread about this, feel free.

19. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues

Time for a reminder. San Jose Earthquakes have been an institution since 1974. The MLS chose San Jose for the FIRST game to be played here. Obviously, the Quake fans know full well the core fan support and the potential to easily double the current range. Plagued with AEG favoritism for other teams, the MLS league bending over to corporations like AEG with deep pockets, Quakes continuous GM turnover, SpartanShops hijacking our stadium for $$ parking & $$ concessions, AEG manipulating players locations, and our own lame duck Gonzo Mayor favoring the Oakland A's long-shot & unlikely move to San Jose over the existing QUAKES team........only us Quake fans know what it is like to survive these past years with a roller coaster.

To try to say that us Quake Players & Fans should be "ecstatic for 50% chance" to continue to have a team is ridiculous. We expect only to continue to be part of the league, the other consequences? We join the A league soccer league and kiss MLS goodbye forever.

20. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boy, you DC United (you & bofahey) fans sure have a bloated sense of self worth!! MLS Doesn't HAVE any "flag ship" franchises, and if they do, its probably the LA Galaxy.

MLS has either franchises that are good for the league or bad for the league, but none are irreplaceable today.

Lee

21. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Bridgeview aren't getting 100% of naming rights. They are getting a large percentage, but not 100%.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck with that.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And with 4 little words, he's back!

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Earthquakes were the only team that stayed in business as an outdoor team after the folding of the NASL. The San Jose area has had a team at the highest existing level of US professional outdoor soccer for 29 of the last 32 years. 1993-5 is the only gap.

25. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

DC has no chance no of moving, because they are 99% sure to get a stadium. Any talk of moving from Payne is obviously a scare tactic.