AEG given permission to move Quakes in 30 days

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

MOD NOTE: See end of thread for news of AEG gaining approval to move Quakes in 30 days (from post #331 on)

From this morning's San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13078199.htm

Good luck, Quakes fans! Hope everything turns out well for you.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

$20 million put in. We'll find out how much AEG will get to take out. Either way, they will probably lose money by owning the Quakes. A lot of EarthQuakes fans and MLS fans will still blame them however, for not wanting to continue to lose money.

I guess AEG had enough of 'losing money.' If no Sillicon Valley billionaires show up to save the Quakes, they will likely be gone.

AKA: I don't want to own the team and lose money anymore. Doesn't sound good.

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One dollar gets you five that nothing will happen next week (at least not publicly

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Exciting news. The meetings should be pretty interesting. They probably will announce stuff the week after the MLS Cup, if it's happening.

I hope they move KC instead, if they do move a team.

5. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're probably right. Can't have bad publicity until after MLS CUp on Nov. 13. However, if a local owner steps up, they might announce it on Nov 12.

However, if AEG is to be believed, they will not own the Quakes next season.
    So if AEG doesn't own the Quakes, who will?

50% chance it's a local owner. 50% chance it's an out of towner.
    However, it is likely that it's 20% local and 80% out of towner. I mean, if it's local, we would have heard of some names by now. We are like 8-9 days away from the MLS Governors Meeting and the undisclosed potential owner still remain a mystery. That doesn't bode well. I hope Quakes stay in SJ but it doesn't look good.

Also, if SJ Quakes move, who is to blame?
    1) AEG for not wanting to continue to lose money
    2) The city for not wanting to pay 50% of the stadium cost
    3) Some local billionaires that do not step up.

It's the same equation for KC Wizards too I think. MLS's plan is to be profitable in year 12 years or get rid of unprofitable one. I can't expect them to continue to stay in losing markets for the next 10 years.

Very Safe:

Columbus -SSS
    LA Galaxy -SSS
    FC Dallas-SSS
    Chicago-SSS
    Denver -SSS
    Rev -Owner controlled stadium
    Metrostars-SSS

Safe for the next 2-3 years:

Chivas USA ($3.5 million in local sponsorship goes a long way__safe or not safe depends on whether the team can be profitable)

DC United-new owner + SSS planned (if no SSS, it could be the next SJ-KC)

RSL-SSS planned (if nothing happen in the SSS front in the next few years, it could be the next SJ, KC)

In trouble and could move
    SJ - on sale and owner stating that it can't operate the team any more
    KC - on sale and the owner doesn't want to keep the team any more

6. Re: AEG: Odds of Quakes Move 50-50

Too many great soccer memories like one of the goals of all-time by George Best back in the NASL era for the Earthquakes to die. George appears to be bouncing back again after a close call. Hopefully the Quakes will do the same. Could the key be that facing the reality of losing the franchise outright as a tennant, San Jose State University finally offer a better lease deal for MLS at Spartan Stadium?

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Oh COME ON. :rolleyes:

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

notice the IF. If DC United can't build a SSS in the next few years, the new owner will sell the team. If building a SSS would have been that easy, DC United would have done it in 1998 not in 2008.

There is a huge different in planning to build a stadium and actually building one. I wouldn't rate RSL chance as 'really good' either. Yes, CHecketts want to build one in Sandy and there appear to have some political support but until I have seen 'deal finalized, the next step is groundbreaking' I wouldn't get my hope up.

let's me repeat. DC UNITED IS LOSING MONEY and WILL Continue to lose money until it has a good stadium deal. If I am an owner with no prospect of breaking even in the next 5-10 years, I would sell even if the attendance is 16k-19k. What good is attendance when you can't even break even?

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe. It's up to the potential local owner though. AEG appears to say it doesn't want to own the team after this year.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know about calling the Revs "very safe".

The Krafts have ground that franchise into the ground, from one that averaged ~19,000/game in its first 3 seasons, to one that's averaged ~13,000 its last 3 seasons.

If the Krafts continue to treat the Revs like a neglected stepchild, it's hard to see them making money off of the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if they put them up for sale/relocation within the next few years.

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Every one of your posts is retarded.

First, did you miss the article yesterday? Second, any team that draws 17,000 per game can stick around, even in an oversized stadium. That's not KC or SJ numbers, now is it? But that's irrelevant because the new owners wouldn't have bought the team without a stadium being a sure thing, and it is a sure thing, no matter how long it takes.

RSL has the support of the Governor. It'll get done.

Those two teams are virtually certain to get the stadiums built. It's a waste of time and effort to go crazy about "what if." AND, isn't this a thread about SJ?

12. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You like to argue with me for some reason. But if every one of my posts is retarded, it must be likewise for every one of your posts in BigSoccer.

It's not about the fanbase, it's about breaking even and making a profit. How do you explain the fact that a lot of NFL teams moved around even though they have a good fanbase? If you answer "they didn't have a stadium deal" you may be right. If DC United draws 20,000 and yet loses $3 million each year, do you think it would stick around long if the owner is looking to make money?

I didn't miss the article, but nowhere in it that said that DC United stadium deal is finished with no more hurdles. It increases DC chances, but in no way it is a 100% certainty.

A lot of sure thing didn't turn into sure thing. It's DC politics we are talking about. If the owner is willing to put in 100% in private money, it might be a sure thing.

I guess I will take your words for it. Today, I am 100% sure that RSL will get a stadium. Not 99.9% but 100% because it has the backing of the Governor. Didn't the San Antonio lesson teach you anything?

Virtually certain? I guess you're 100% that RSL and DC United will get their stadiums. I wish I could share your optimism. I am only 75% sure that both will get theirs. Though I am 98% sure that one of them will.

Yes, I put SJ in the 'in trouble and could move' category and did an analysis for the other MLS teams.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

I like to argue with you because you post stupid ********, and I get amusement out of picking it apart.

MLS teams share the profits/losses. So if every other team is making money, then DC would be able to survive without a stadium.

And, if they drew 20,000, they would be making money for sure. I already posted this a while ago in the financial records thread, but look at it again:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/mls/news/2001/07/30/stadium_future_sa/

With 18,000 paid, we'd be making money," says Sakiewicz, whose organization pays nearly $1.5 million each season to use the Meadowlands.

I think the Metros might pay more now, but I doubt DC pays $100,000 per game for RFK.

No. San Antonio has a mayor who left office during the negotions to get a team. Huntsman (Utah Gov.) has at least three more years in office. Plus, they actually had teams bidding to get the stadium.

14. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://washington.smartceo.com/cover.html

15. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This has got to be one of the cheesiest variations channeling Pee-Wee Herman.

17. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego

PC4th:
    "Also, if SJ Quakes move, who is to blame?
    1) AEG for not wanting to continue to lose money
    2) The city for not wanting to pay 50% of the stadium cost
    3) Some local billionaires that do not step up."

4) the SJ fans for not showing up

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would blame the prospective AEG/Televisa partnership

Without that, I expect it would be much more likely that KC would be moved than SJ.

19. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Does that mean that Televisa's partnerships with Clear Channel have ended, or is it something that can be worked out by all three parties ???

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

SJ was 4th in the league in standalone home game attendance this year in MLS (this excludes doubleheaders with Real Madrid, or US Nats, etc.)

Does any MLS team make money? And even if they do make money on a year to year basis, they may have made a large investment in, for example, stadium building costs in order to get to that point. So even if they're making a year to year profit they may still be recouping a net loss taken over multiple years.

21. bridgeviewturd

bridgeviewturd BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview

Have to agree with you on that one. KC and SanJose without a stadium are dead weight.

If it means a healther league cut them.

The turd

22. bridgeviewturd

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview

How about blaming yourselves for not showing up to games in larger numbers back in 1998-1999-2000 and 2001.

No one wants to look in the mirror. Had you guys been going to games like you have been the last 10 games maybe this wouldnt be an issue and maybe you would have a stadium like LA and we have.

The turd

23. Raven49er

Raven49er Member

May 26, 2005
    Fairfax, VA

Dude, DC United would never move. You're on drugs if you think they would. They have a private owner, and while RFK is decrepit, its better than Spartan Stadium. Comparing the situation of DC to KC or SJ is silly. DC is getting its new stadium, once the land transfer goes thru. Maron Barry now supports the stadium, reports the Washington Times.

24. bridgeviewturd

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview

Where the hell have you been the last two years? LA is making money now and so is Columbus and

The problem lies with your cities unwillingness nor the universities willingness to work out a deal where the team can be profitbale.

All the stadiums have been joint ventures of some kind, with public land or money and private money.

SanJose on the other hand is too busy wasting time bickering.

I donty blame AEG one bit, they have done more than SanJose desreves.

The turd

25. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Move it where? That goes for either team -- or both? Has any ownership group stepped up for 2006? Has anyone or group asked to buy either team and move it to Houston/St. Louis/Cleveland/North Carolina/Seattle/......
    Maui????

I don't think the league wants to go through another round of cutting teams, not after trumpeting new teams to arrive in 2007 in the form of Toronto and Where-Ever, so exactly where are San Jose and/or KC supposed to go?

I think we should just grab a bologna sandwich and a beer, sit back and enjoy the show as MLS/AEG go through the motions of sorting out this mess while trying to look Major League. Nothing will be done to dampen the opening of a new stadium in Bridgeview, with Denver and Harrison to follow.