Advice to FC Daalas

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Hitman, May 19, 2020.

1. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Setting aside another embarrassing moment (this was tweeted out over the weekend as part of a FCD wallpaper bit, and then pulled when the misspelling was pointed out), can we have a discussion about this club's odd, repeated attempts to brand itself with these tone deaf labels? FCD. is. not. original.

There are a lot of marketing things this club attempts that punch me in the sack.. And while this stinks because it's just wrong, it also is an insult to the numerous clubs that have been around for generations and are the real foundation of DFW soccer. Hell, FCD isn't even the first, second or third soccer club the family has owned.

It would do this club a great service to accept its true place, which very much should be a leadership position, but also one that is reverent of its forbearers. Make no mistake, the ONLY reason the Hunt family dumped KC and Columbus to make FCD its singular MLS property was because of the opportunity to grow a youth soccer business in one of the country's three hot soccer markets. One built by Texans, Sting, Defeeters, Longhorns, Comets, Kicks, Andromeda and Solar.

When FCD front office people complain about how all of the other youth clubs view them in an adversarial way - it's poorly thought out, cheap marketing stunts like this that add fuel to the fire the Hunts started in the 1st place.

Attached Files:

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm all for dog piling on FCD's "marketing" team (pretty sure it's just a bunch of interns who couldn't get hired by the other big 4) but are you sure you're not reading too much into this? I feel like this is more about being an original MLS franchise. Not an original pioneer of the youth movement in the Dallas area.

Hitman repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Peet, I know that you're used to a steady supply of gaffes from the crack FCD marketing team, which you're not getting during the league shutdown, but this almost feels a little forced.

Me personally? I'm more annoyed that their Twitter account wished Walker Zimmerman a happy birthday today. I mean, why?

burning247, TCS35 and Hitman repped this.
  4. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    ok fair enough. maybe I've seen/read/heard many attempts by the club to position itself in this light, I did read into it. I flashed back to the "pride of Texas" youth campaign from a couple years ago?

I am a BIG believer this club would do itself a lot of good if it would go out of its way to pay attention and homage to the clubs that made up this soccer community long before it showed up.

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That sounds like using logic and common sense. That is not allowed here on Big Soccer or anything FC Dallas does.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've talked to some people who played on club teams in the late 60's. Titans I think. I'd love for someone to cover how it all started as I think especially those of us who've been here a while (but not the whole time) take it for granted. Seeing how the area just keeps pumping out talent year after year shows it is something very few other areas can match and those that do are a lot bigger. If every area in the country did what N. Texas does the national would be a top 10 team perpetually.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is there any reason to believe Walker Zimmerman isn't running FCD's marketing department as a side-gig?

boneall and ElJefe repped this.