Advice to DC and KC fans re: HD Center

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Dammit!, Nov 7, 2004.

1. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    Don't forget "The Special"! It's a helluva sandwich ;)

Mickey, does Mike Watt play anywhere locally on a regular basis?

2. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    Good point on the Joe's Special.

It looks like Watt won't be back in LA County until December 10: http://hootpage.com/hoot_elmarcuratodotour2004.html

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'd like to post driving directions to HDC on the DC United board.

Can anyone post the best driving routes from the west, east and south? I always drive down from the north, and my usual route is below but if anyone has a better way please post that too. Thanks!

Directions to HDC

*From the North
    1. 405 South
    2. Exit Vermont Ave
    3. Left onto 190th
    4. 190th becomes Victoria Street
    5. Cross Avalon. Stadium and parking on the right.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might think about posting a link to the Home Depot Center web site, which I think has driving directions.

5. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC fans looking for fine food might want to try the quaint little villa of Compton, just north of Carson.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It just sends you to Mapquest ... which gives rather dubious directions.

But I just found directions on the Galaxy website.

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    PISS BOTTLE MAN! :D

Damn Lastort youre slipping in your old age....
    :D

8. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    They're from DC. Compton will look like Bel Air. ;)

9. hakko ace

hakko ace New Member

May 9, 2001
    Rancho Los Cerritos
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ditto. joe jost's is excellent but it's a little far down into long beach. you might do better with ej malloy's on atlantic which is right off (north of) the 405, only 5 or 6 minutes from the HDC. there's two locations, so make sure to visit the one on atlantic. they have your standard guiness, bass, drafts, etc. plus a full bar and multiple tv feeds. on sunday they'll have nfl pointy ball on, if yo're ok with that. the fish & chips are first rate!

10. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    Mike,
    If you're coming to the summit, I would recommend talking someone into giving you a ride there. Then hitch a ride back with some of your DC fans who are staying not too far from San Pedro. Then take the taxi or call your dad. That way you can have the best of both worlds and the taxi ride will be half the price.

Hollywood is a long way from San Pedro. Torrance and Long Beach are much closer.

I remember in Providence the Summit hotel was about a $75 ride from there. Don't know if I'd take public transportation that late at night. If I wasn't from OC, I'd be glad to give you a lift. I'm sure others are willing to share a ride as long as you don't remind us of '96. I was there soaked to my bones.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Interesting. What sort of food would you recommend there? Any particular establishments you frequent?

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We're going to miss the summit. Our flight doesn't get into Long Beach until a little after 5:00 on Saturday.

Is public transport that dangerous at night? I've ridden the subway in New York at 2:00 am and never really felt nervous.

I promise I won't bring up '96. How about '99? :)

13. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin

and that's why you probably woudn't ride p-trans at night

late night p-trans is great and an interesting way to see the LA basin

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    He seems to have forgotton that RFK Stadium is located pretty much in the heart of the 'hood.

When I go there, I head down North Capitol Street, hang a left onto H Street NE, and drive down it to 14th, where I hang a right. Usually with the top down and blasting some hip hop on the stereo. :)

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good ol' Fry's Electronics. The times I've been to my nearest one, the returns line is just as long as the checkout line. I tend to see quite a few repackaged hardware. Hmm. However, I find what I need for okay prices and haven't had much problems with the products I've gotten. I've heard not to expect customer service though; but if you're a computer geek & know what you want, you won't need the employees there.

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, I'm sure you realize this, but just in case, he's trying to get you killed...

17. S.Bones

S.Bones Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Glendora, CA
    Probably before the match, and certainly afterwards, you can get a bacon-wrapped hot dog from one of the carts around the stadium. Do not miss these. Food in the stadium is average at best and over priced - but the bacon dogs are a deal at $3, and sometimes you can get two for $5. Get two - you'll want another.

18. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    The places to eat are in Long Beach, Santa Monica. The area around the LB Convention Center has been revitilized and there are a LOT of eating and drinking establishments.

Near Carson is a 50's diner that I like for breakfast or lunch but its too hard to give directions. Its in the Bixby Knolls area. You can always go to the Carson Mall. They have different types of restaurants like Tony Romas (ribs), McDonalds, Sizzler. Nothing to write home about but convenient.

Across from the stadium is a KFC for tailgaters. Nothing much around the stadium except for Carl's Jr and Taco Bell.

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As for grub, you might also want to consider the South Bay towns of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. Not too far from HDC. There's a wide variety of choices from fast food up to and including cutting edge gourmet restaurants in every price range and in practically every ethnic type. Torrance also has some particularly good Japanese restaurants.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I got it. :)

21. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    Sushi all over the place. IF you want a really big mall (for the wife) check out the Del Amo Mall. The place is about two blocks long and in door. I forgot about that place. My sister-in-law lives near there and I always dread driving by it with the shoppers.

I like a Peruvian restaurant near the stadium. Its at 1425 W. Artesia Blvd.
    Gardena. Doesn't look like much from the outside but I love their food.

Here's a local listing of restaurants put out by Carson

http://ci.carson.ca.us/shoppingincarson/Stores and Products/Restaurants1.htm

I discovered the Underground Pub in Redondo or Hermosa Beach. Kind of interesting beach community.

Or the OC is about a 1/2 hr drive south/east of the stadium on the San Diego Fwy (405). You can get to Huntington or Newport Beaches in less than an hour (depending on traffic). Just watch the rush hour. Hopefully for you guys with the long weekend (some of us are taking an extra day off for Vet's Day)traffic might be lighter than normal. But then So Cal has some of the worst traffic in the nation. We believe in vehicles for everyone - mass transit (what's that?)

22. 100_Fires

100_Fires New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    so cal
    Attn DC and Wiz fans: the post above is the best tip in this thread. BWHDs are delicious. I will be getting two prior to the match, that way i am not tempted to get one of the crap dogs or pretzels inside.

23. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Ya know, I'm vegetarian and don't really like the smell of meat, but those damn BWHDs sure smell GOOD after a game.

-------

Also, regarding transportation, just get yourself to a hardware store and look for the hispanic guys standing around. Find out who has a car and, boom, you got a driver for the day for $30 and gas money. And he'd probably like to watch the game too.

24. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Well, after brunch, if anyone's interested in refreshments closer to the actual game, you should be aware that tailgating at HDC has a couple strings attached. I mention this not to be a downer, but maybe just to start the discussion so folks aren't disappointed on Sunday -- maybe the discussion can draw attention from Galaxy fans who know more about these variables than I do.

Most tailgating for regular-season games happens in the large $15 lots (that's what they charge for regular season, anyway) north and west of the stadium (north is the HILL end, NOT the CLUB end, and WEST is the side with the practice fields). Also, it unofficially seems to be tolerated further out on the edges of the lots near the permieter fence, and less so right up on the sidewalks circling the stadium. Note that the lots are enclosed by a perimeter fence, which means you walk in at the pay driveways which are always manned by county cops.

The point is that alcohol seems to be officially prohibited, but unoffically tolerated at certain parts of the lot. I've been told by the bike cops that they basically try to discourage people carrying bottles around the lot, I've had less trouble with cans, but now I usually just pour into cups and I've never had a problem with that. However, if you're heading in with half a beer at the last minute, there is usually a loosely-bound line of bike cops that will stop folks at the last trashcans on the lot and tell them to finish it or leave it there, which can be a slight buzzkill.

A potentially larger buzzkill is the possibility of county cops at the driveway entrances of the fence surrounding the $15 lots. I've never been stopped for walking in with a grocery bag of beer (although I keep the beer low), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they stop people trying to carry coolers into the lot -- I would not be surprised at all. So, it might be better if you plan to bring lots of beer to just pay up and drive into the $15 lots.

EAST of the stadium are the $10 lots, which are a little farther away from the action. Again, I've not had a hassle over there, but it's probably farther away than you want to be if you intend to mingle with other tailgaters. I've never been bothered carrying a beer from the $10 lots to the stadium, but those lots are on the college campus and they have all their own rent-a-cops circling so I wouldn't plan to tent up a party over there unless you hear differently form someone who know better.

Now, having said this as a heads-up, I don't presume to be an expert on the subject, I'm just speaking from my own considerable experience at many Galaxy games.

THREE final notes of caution -- (1) don't expect sanctioned beer sales in the parking lot. It used to happen sometimes at the Rose Bowl but I've never seen it at HDC. (2) Street parking is tough to come by -- some spots are available for the very early comers on Victoria which borders the stadium property on the north, and on one side of Avalon to the west of the stadium. Careful in the surrounding neighborhoods, as most areas are permit-only specifically in response to uppiity neighbors who didn't wnat the HDC. (3) In-stadium BEER SALES are stopped at the 60th minute. I don't know if this happens league-wide, but it sure happens here and it bascially means buy your 2nd-half beers at halftime, or by the time you finish your 1st halftime beer you will be shut out on an early 2nd-half run.

If any Galaxy fans have better info on the tailgating, please share so folks can get together on it.

25. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    not a scalper, just a season ticket holder who isn't going to the game because I could care less for DC or The Whiz. If anyone wants these two great and very close seats, please email me asap at machupicc@yahoo.com.(only if serious please)

make me an offer I can't refuse and they're yours.

G for life.