Advice on how to land tickets to a sold out game?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by nicodemus, Nov 16, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the normal ticketbroker route, anybody have any advice on how to score a ticket or two to a college hoops game? I specifically have in mind the Alabama-Florida game in Gainesville in February. For some dumb reason, I wasn't expecting it to be sold out already. Back home, I just knew a lot of people and finding tickets to things was fairly easy, but now, I'm in a new place and don't know anyone really, so I was curious what the best avenues for scoring the tickets might be?

Thanks.

PS - Please restrain yourselves, and hold back on clever answers like "Plan better," "Buy earlier", etc. Thanks. :p :)

2. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    day of game scalpers outside the arena

3. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    You can always check out ebay, though it's probably going to be as expensive as going to a scalper. Another thing to do would be to start frequenting messageboards and forums of the teams involved looking for someone who suddenly had to go away on business or have gall bladder surgery and has to get rid of his tickets. If you're lucky enough, you'll find a guy who's a fan of your team and he won't charge you any more than he paid for.

There's also other, less legal ways of doing it. You could call/email the team, convince them you're a basketball scout from Germany and get them to swing tickets your way. Works quite well if you know how to do it.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, It's a 250 mile roundtrip drive to the arena. I'd like to land them in advance if possible. Thanks though.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good idea. I'd thought of that, yet hadn't bothered searching for the boards yet. Good call.

I'd think they could bust you on that one pretty easily. Perhaps sports works differently, but having worked in the music business for years, we always had a pretty tough policy on comps and could sniff out a BSer quite easily.