Advice on how to analyze video?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by russianref, Feb 6, 2022.

1. russianref

russianref New Member

Motherwell
    United States
    Dec 30, 2019
    I plan on doing a deep dive on my team's games from the fall on film. Wanting advice on how to do some sort of detailed statistical analysis. I want to go beyond obvious things like goals, saves, shots, assists etc.

Thinking of things like when the player gets the ball, how often do they retain possession? How often do they break lines when passing? How many dribbles do they average? etc.

Suggestions on what to look for, how to quantify it, other resources that can help me, etc. welcome.

Thanks!

CoachP365 repped this.
  2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    What age level?

3. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Look for people moving when they don't have the ball. Do they get into position to support the ball, or do they sprint to win the loose ball after their team mate was disposessed?

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Look for trends that you see 3+ times. Those are more likely to be systemic. Something can happen once and be a fluke. It can happen twice over 90+ minutes and be a coincidence. If it's happening 3 or more times, that's a trend and worth noticing.

chookgoo86 repped this.
  5. russianref

russianref New Member

Motherwell
    United States
    Dec 30, 2019
    HS.

6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stats are worthless unless they have meaning for how you want to play football.

The truth is really in answering: why do our attacks break down? Where do our attacks break down? With whom do our attacks break down? And I do it for opposition as well.

Value added happens when you can link HOW you want to play football and the answers to the above questions.

For example: we play positional soccer, so we value pressing.

In a game, I saw their fullbacks were poor ball handlers. But they liked to play short to them. Halftime, we said don’t bother pressing the CB. Wait until they pass to the FBs. We score two goals for those situations.

it answered: where and with whom THEIR attacks were failing.

if you’re looking for xG and packing stats, dont bother. You’ll burn through practice time teaching them high value shots and locations when they don’t have the technique

chookgoo86 repped this.
  7. Jazlizard

Jazlizard New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    My first question would be what are you trying to get out of it? Are you trying to use it as a tool for players to see what you do / don't want from your tactics?

Are you using it just for yourself to identify breakdowns or areas of success?

Not sure you'd really have enough games to do much of a valuable statistical analysis , especially if this is actual HS where the players may change a good deal from year to year. I'd agree with elessar78 in trying to find trends (good or bad) that do or do not line up with your system/style of play.

If you're really brave you can post links on here :geek:

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I would just look at the problem areas. Look at their mistakes. Make notes. Do some drills to work on those problem areas.