Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by tarheelblue31, Nov 5, 2007.

1. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm 17. I've trained a little with but never played on a competitive travel team. I've only played on house/rec league (although my team is the top team in the league - Mclean, VA.) Soccer is my passion, but my parents don't support it. They are not willing to put in the money or time. I know I could play at a top level if given the chance - I've been asked to but forced to turn down the offers. Any advice on keeping up top fitness/soccer shape until college? I'm looking to get into UNC next year academically, then play club (their Rams team is supposed to be a Nationals level team).

This might be shooting too high, but I'd rather do all I can to reach that level than give up.

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    It honestly makes me sad that you aren't getting the support you are asking from from your family. I am hopeful and optomistic that there are other issues involved that you aren't really talking about.....That being said, the best advice I can come up with is to continue to work hard and get the best training available to you. Try and get some extra time with your coaches to work on your skills.....touch the ball as often as you can. There is a lot of development that can be gained in your back-yard on your own. I would point to Clint Dempsey for the lack of opportunities to train at the highest levels and yet overcoming this in the end to make his dream real. I would suggest checking out his bio at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Dempsey if you aren't familiar with his story. Keep pushing toward your goals, you sound like a good kid! Good luck...

3. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    You might also want to call up the head coach for the McLean Freedom club, explain what is going on, if you have a drivers lic, maybe you could go do a few things with him and ask for some guidence?? Good Luck!!

4. if there are no other issues, i also find it sad your parents don't support you in something you want to do.:(

just curious, i am not sure how things will change with them when you go to college. if you can't play now, what makes you think they will allow you then?

5. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Very good advice.

I know of a few young athletes who did not have the support of their parents growing up. The parents however had no objection if the kids took up the burden upon themselves. The kids scavenged rides, worked on weekends to pay for team's cost and through hard work earned scholarships to very good programs.

So it can be done.

Will you be trying out for your high school team? Oftentimes the high school coaches do not care which club or rec teams the players played for, the bottom line is being a good player.

Good luck!

6. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    well, the way it goes with my parents, as soon as I'm off to college, everything I do is up to me. They don't mind letting me do what I choose once I'm in college, but it is now when I'm still living under their roof that I have to abide by their rules.

And just because it's been mentioned, here are the issues laid out:
    1. My parents think I should spend my time doing schoolwork, etc. To them, spending more than 1, max 2, hours once or twice a week playing soccer is more than enough. Therefore, between practices, games, travl time, etc., they think it's a waste of time.
    2. Fees are expensive. We all know this. My parents don't exactly have a high income, or are they willing to fork out of their income to pay for fees. I have asked if I could pay for my own fees if I work. They don't believe it's a good use of my money, they would rather me "save for college" than pay fees.
    3. My dad is a pastor - he doesn't believe I should play on Sundays even if it's after church. Even if he let me, I wouldn't be able to get to many places after going to church, as he works in a different state than we live in.

Overall, they just think soccer is not important enough to spend time and money on. Even when I tell them it is my passion, I am told I need to re-evaluate my priorities. Therefore, I have become a soccer junky - reading/watching online whenever I can (they won't even buy ESPN for me!)

I've missed out on what could have been 5/6 years of top level training, but I don't want to give up the hope of playing at a high level someday.

7. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Just in response to this, I am a senior in high school this year. I have been on varsity all 3 years thus far, but overall, my team is not a top level team nor a very dedicated team. I lucked out in the school I go to.

8. well, the way it goes with my parents, as soon as I'm off to college, everything I do is up to me. They don't mind letting me do what I choose once I'm in college, but it is now when I'm still living under their roof that I have to abide by their rules.

the reason i asked is because even though you will be living under the college roof, most parents still pay for that roof. it's a parental umbrella clause. it travels with you until they are financially free of you.;)

good luck!!

9. stryker29

stryker29 Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Best thing to do is to attend a try-out for a local club team or your high school. If you are talented and show a willingness to get better, these coaches could be an ally and talk to your parents for you. Once your parents hear from a person of authority, they might change their tune. All parents love to hear how talented and committed their child is. Also, they will tell your parents about the other benefits of being on a high level team, i.e. teamwork, getting along with a variety of different people, setting goals and working to attain them, discipline and others.

10. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    That is a very impressive accomplishment, considering that McLean has very good travel teams at all levels.

Keep working hard. Play as much as you possible can.

Education is very important, but it seems you are doing very well and you may accomplish getting into UNC (this is also quite an achievement!).

In College play club team. I have known quite a few players on nationally ranked teams who started on the club team at their respective schools.

Again Good Luck!

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check your private message