Advice for sale

Discussion in 'Referee' started by chrisrun, Jul 15, 2005.

1. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see on the USSF site that for the Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game (2005 Edition) it says:

"A recently updated version of the publication "Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game", a compilation of international and national guidelines on interpretations of the Laws of the Game, is available for purchase at the link provided."

Any idea why we can't download this?

On a more general note, I wonder why USSF doesn't allow us to download ALL of their training material. I mean, those training videos look like they would be useful, but I'm not going to shell out $15 or $20 for each one of them. I would, however, download them and watch them on my computer. Wouldn't they want to get this info out to everyone, so all refs are more informed and thus more accurate and consistant?

2. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    It's all about making money. Obviously training is secondary.

3. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    USSF does not really make any money off the sale of referee training materials. The price is solely there to cover the costs of publication and distribution. They are only charging $5 to get your copy, so it is not like they are trying to rip us off here. Believe it or not, getting things published be it print or video can be expensive.

4. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    If USSF isn't trying to make money, then why won't it allow referees and others to download materials for free if they wish? Or charge $2 for the download?

5. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    As I said --

6. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone actually seen this new Advice to Referees? I am curious to see if it is really out, and if so, what has changed.

7. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose they expect the state and local associations to buy them to use during re/certification clinics and annual training. I agree; I'm not going to shell out $15 or $20 for a 20 or 30 min video to tell me something I probably already know. But they do make a great gift! ;)

8. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    I got my copy 'free' when I went to my recert clinic :)

9. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All referees registering or recertifying for 2006 should recieve a copy of this along with the 2006 Laws of the Game (navy blue this year).

The "buy" option is primarily for those who want to distribute the book themselves (some unsanctioned organizations use it as part of training, as do college intramural programs), those who "lost" their free one and absolutely can't live without a new copy, and similiar situations.

10. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    i was going to break down and buy one (only got lotg at recert for 06). and $5 won't break me. but, add on $6 to ship it to me and we're up to $11 for a publication i could download in prior years. i passed.

11. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I used the contact link to email a message asking when the ATR would be available for PDF download. Here's the response I received:

Hope that is as helpful to you as it was to me.

12. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
  13. david58

david58 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Oregon
    I have never received ATR upon recertification. Only time I got a bound copy was at initial certification.

14. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is a state thing? I'm in Florida. I haven't recertified yet (I like to wait a few months for them to work out the inevitable questions that arise each year), but last year I got the "Laws of the Game Made Easy". The years before was the standard LOTG book. I don't think I have ever gotten a print copy of the ATR. They told us to go to the website and download it. We'll see what I get this year.

15. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had recert this weekend. We received a copy of the LOTG, but not the Advice book.

They still had issues at the class, such as old slides that contradicted new slides, so I guess waiting a little longer didn't help this year.

16. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hey, I tried again and finally got a response to my question:

> Feedback:
    > When will the 2005 Advice to Referees be available on the website for
    > download?

Currently, there are no plans to have it on the website.

Thanks

17. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    > Could I ask why not? This is important data for referees to have in order
    > to do a good job.
    >
    > To whom can I address my concerns on this matter?

Thanks

Please write to:

Julie Ilacqua
    US Soccer
    1801 S. Prairie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60616

18. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    So does this mean I am entitled to get my $7 back?! I'm glad it is free now, but it sure is disappointing that they charged for it so long.

Wonder if they will do the same thing with the next version -- charge for it for almost a year or until it is about to be replaced by a newer version, then finally offer it free when its usefulness has diminished. Or did they finally just abandon the experiment of charging for it and will not continue that practice in the future.

How many of them do you think they sold? I bet it was far fewer than they were originally hoping.

20. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

Exactly, I finally ponied up the money about a month ago, and now it is free and there is a "new" version coming out? Honestly...

21. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I'm happy for it...i've been relying in the 1997 ATR for far too long.

Anyway, if USSF really want to cover their costs for publication and distribution and nothing else, they could easily make avi files out of their videos and charge users for the cost of bandwidth (plus the initial cost of creating the digital video) (which i would do for free if they wanted me to). For people who want a hard copy of the video, they can still make the purchase for a DVD or cassette.

How much do they cost currently? US$5 each? or $15? I've seen two different numbers given on this thread.

22. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1997??!?!? The 2003 has been available for download for ages.

Also, your RRA should have been happy to buy ATRs for any Intermediate or higher ref who wanted one.

23. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I never asked actually...ohwell. At least i have the 2005 version now.

I saw a link to the 2003 ATR on some website, but that link (and just about every other one) was broken.

24. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Probably because ussoccer.com underwent a makeover in the past few weeks.

25. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Probably anyone on this board would have emailed it to you! That won't help you now, but next time.

I personally have a soft copy of just about everything, both at work and at home.