Advice for injury prone players

Discussion in 'Player' started by htafc, Dec 26, 2009.

1. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    This season I've had multiple problems with muscle strains, particularly a persistent groin problem.

Anyway after looking into it I've found out about how many professionals have ice/cold baths post match, so I decided to bite the bullet and try it.

Firstly I'd want to warn you that a bath with no hot water whatsoever is not a nice experience (for me anyway), but it has worked wonders.

Just wanted to throw it out there for anyone else who has had muscle problems, it got to the point for me when the day after a match i was in a lot of discomfort but for me a cold bath has seen a noticable improvement.

2. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
  3. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yes, the cold bath helps reduce inflammation and microtears. However with your persistent muscle strains, how much time do you devote to stretching and proper warmup? How about a pre-habilitation routine? Focus on a preventive program.

4. futubolo

futubolo New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Stretch after the match. Most people stretch beforehand but very few stretch afterward. I'm one of them, I'm exhausted afterwards so I just want to get out of my cleats.

But a few of the older guys I play pickup with always stretch afterwards and they say it really helps. And I consider them in very good shape for their age.

5. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if these are mostly soft tissue injuries that you have and you play for a competitive club.... in all honesty I say mask it in practice and just play by running or kicking a certain way

thats what good attitude is in football

now if you have some time to rest (ie. no practices) then see a physio and he/she should give you some instructions on certain stretches you should do daily

for me, after a game I take out the 4 ice packs from the freezer and put them on my knees, ankles or other areas of discomfort and just rest for 20 minutes. I would listen to music to keep my mind off the pain

6. blufer

blufer New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    AC Horsens
    yeah great......
    agree