Advice for Creating/editing video clips for uploading

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bostonsoccermdl, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am pretty much new to this, but used to upload raw clips of video games onto stage 6 b/4 they went bankrupt.

Now, there is a new site www.beta.vreel.net that seems pretty good for hosting videos.

Here is the thing. I really dont have any clue knowing how to add music and commentary to my video game clips (recorded with Fraps) to make them better.

so currently, I am stuck at creating them, then uploading the raw version...

Does anyone know any user friendly (preferably free) software that allows me to make intro, cut scenes, and incorporate music into my clips?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Windows Movie Maker. It's rudimentary, but it works well, and it's relatively easy to use. My wife uses it to add titles and convert videos of her show rides (after I rip them from the camera's DVD and convert them to DV) to upload them to YouTube.

Now I just need to get her to understand the point of editing out the lead-in and lead-out junk...

3. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    thanks. I will check it out.

Also.. All my music is on my itunes. But I cant seem to find it song by song when I check my itunes file folders..

Any idea if a) its possible to get it out of itunes and b) incorporate it into such videos?

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't know it, but you asked two questions. Fortunately, they have the same answer - Audacity. But it will take some work.

First, I don't think there is any video editing software, even the $10,000 ones, that will read DRM music like iTunes files. You will need to convert it to something that the video editing software can use, like a WAV file. When you play music on a Windows machine, every sound goes through a piece of software called the Microsoft Sound Mapper (in Vista - in XP I think it is the Microsoft Sound Mixer). Audio software like Audacity can record sounds going through that software, so you just play the music in iTunes, record in Audacity, and you have the music in whatever form you need.

And Audacity can also be used to do your sound mixing. Simple video editing apps like Microsoft Video Editor only give you one audio track. You can use Audacity to combine the various sound tracks, like the music, your voice from a microphone, and original sounds from the video.

5. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Excellent.

Thanks alot, both of you.

I do feel like an idiot, b/c I had the windows program Foos mentioned, and didnt even realize it until I checked my program files :D.

Glad I asked though lol.

As far as Audacity, I will look into it.

(its too bad these things werent easier and more streamlined..)