Advertising on Shirts is Banned

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MRschizoid21, Mar 23, 2006.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking that since advertisng on shirts is supposed to banned, why is it that Nike and adidas can put their distinct logos on every shirt they make?

Why is Puma allowed to put their logo on their shirts 3 times?

2. yaz2k1

yaz2k1 Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Putting your logo on your own product is not advertising:rolleyes:

3. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes it is.

4. Brooklyn718

Brooklyn718 New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Brooklyn
    werduyuestyjsety

5. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Didnt ireland have advertising for their shirts a while back? I think it eircom

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    You're allowed the logo of the manufacturer but nothing else. You can't have 'Vodafone' plastered on the front.

7. cm2006cm

cm2006cm New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    From my point of view, the FIFA will change this rule as soon as they would have found the way to put the money into their own pocket. Don't you think so ?

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember those shirts myself, but I recall someone here saying their actual game jerseys didn't have the "eircom" logo. Can't say, as I didn't see any of Ireland's matches.

National teams have in the past had training jerseys with non-mfg logos on them. Brasil's had Coca-Cola, and England's had Philips, IIRC.

You're probably right, but I hope not. As much as I think the one logo looks kinda cool on club jerseys (it's also a cool way for collectors to differentiate between seasons/eras), I'd hate to see them in the World Cup. The manufacturer logo and federation badge is enough.

Besides, it wouldn't be all that difficult for FIFA to make some money off it- they'd surely have done so by now, if they wanted to.

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

They still do.

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's not technically advertising any more than the "GAP" printed on a pair of bluejeans is advertising. It's the particular brand of clothing of the uniform.

11. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i remember there was some controversy in the olympics with adidas. the IOC had some sort of rule stating that the clothing suppliers could only have a logo of a certain size. but, like nike argued that adidas had a giant logo by virtue of their three stripes along the shoulders. not sure what became of it...

i know that in the 2002 world cup, there was some issues with ireland, who have worn uniforms during official competitions with one of their sponsors, Eircom. they had to remove the advertisement from their jersey...

12. Zerius

Zerius New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    i, ads should be allowed, the players just shouldnt be walking billboards

13. CultOfZurawski

CultOfZurawski New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Scotland
    Before Eircom, Ireland had a similar sponsorship deal with Opel. Basically, you would never see the team wearing the logo in an official competition but for the fan, it was / is very, very difficult to buy a replica Ireland jersey without the sponsor logo. The fans were used as the advertising medium with the Irish FA making a good deal of money from the agreement.

Regarding, the stripes, Johan Cruyff in either the 74 or 78 World Cup ( think it was 74 ) was part of an adidas-sponsored Holland side. Whilst every other Dutch shirt had the three stripes on the sleeve, Cruyff's only had two since he was heavily sponsored by Puma at the time. A true story!

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Must have been '74. Cruyff didn't go to Argentina.