Advertising hoardings block the view of the touchline..

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ghgm, May 7, 2007.

1. ghgm

ghgm New Member

May 7, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Yeh - point made.

I'm not - of course - saying "get rid of the boards", I'm saying move them back a bit...

For the MLS to succeed it will need both the commercial TV money AND the fans at the grounds - actually the two are quite intertwined.

2. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    So is she saying that ABC is not considered a "major network" ? :rolleyes:

3. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Like the positioning of the boards is going to bring in the masses and build up the "atmosphere" -- give me a break.

4. ghgm

ghgm New Member

May 7, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    OK - please ya self. It seemed like an obvious point to me. :)

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because of people who think like you our Country is going down the tubes

6. RedFive

RedFive Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definetly not. But look at the time we do get, it's few and far between. Which is a real slap in the face considering some of the absolute garbage that airs on Saturday afternoons when they could be showing a MLS game.

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    They just have to move those boards or the terrorists (and RSL) will win and we might even get stuck in a terrible civil war overseas, have the over-riding concern at our Justice Department be politics, see gasoline go over $3.00 a gallon, have a former male cheerleader running for reelection beat a bona fide former college soccer player for President and our Men's National Soccer Team might even be forced to play two tournaments this summer with an interim coach! Move the boards for AMERICA!

8. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah. The only reason professional spectator sports even exist today on a large scale is because of advertising dollars.

9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The EPL is awash in massive cash mostly due to television revenue and I have never seen a match with even picture in picture adverstising during the run of play. And no the networks here just don't 'get' that.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The do get it. Just because that's the norm in Europe, that doesn't mean it will sell in America.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    When the audience is there - those creative people in TV will figure out how to make money off an American Match.

12. ghgm

ghgm New Member

May 7, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I agree. In the UK the TV company that shows the premier league (SKY)
    - basically owns the league. Sky is fully commercial (like in the US) but they
    always show the football in full with no interuptions. Commercials at half time - sure - but the soccer is shown in full.

Sky is owned by Rupert Mudoch who also owns Fox. When the US scene gets
    big enough I'm sure Fox can sort out a way of making a soccer channel pay.
    It might not pay as much as Superbowl Sunday - but it will still be able to have a good healthy turnover.

13. ghgm

ghgm New Member

May 7, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    err, Murdoch.....