Advantages for Chivas USA over other MLS teams

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by solrac, Nov 14, 2003.

1. solrac

solrac Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good day everyone. I been reading about the new San Diego team and its connect to a mexican team. I have a question regarding a concern that hopefully you can help with.

I understand that there is a soft salary cap. For instance, if a player earns a paycheck from the league for 1 million dollars, only about 250K (player max) actually goes against the cap for his team. This allows teams to keep talented players in the league. I wonder if this loophole might be over used or abused by the ownership group. For example, a player only cares how much he gets paid not how much it is reported that he is paid. So Juan Smith (a hypo mexican player) who is under contract with the real Chivas for 2 million dollars per year is loaned out (no transfer)to Chivas USA for 25k per year. So basicaly the player gets $2,025,000. Chivas USA gets a player of very high quality that counts almost nothing against the cap. I wonder if mls people have looked into this.

thanks for giving me a bit of your time
    solrac

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, everybody's wondering how this is going to work. The only thing that is certain is that Vergara will try to find every possible loophole in the rules to give himself an advantage. He kind of reminds me of a kid crying for attention. But if it makes you feel any better, his methods haven't exactly dominated the Mexican League. Currently Chivas is 12th is a 20 team league. And that's without any salary cap at all.