Adu's in w/ U-20s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dipsfan14, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Dipsfan14

Dipsfan14 New Member

May 23, 2003
    B-more
    There is a small story in today's Washington Post saying that Freddy has been invited to train with the under-20s next month after all. Rongen has apparantly changed his mind. Official roster for camp should be released soon.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Interesting. I wonder what changed Rongen's mind or if it was at all motivated by Nike, Richard Motzkin (also Rongen's agent), Bruce Arena or Dan Flynn.

Or maybe it was just changed because Freddy is really good.

Regardless, I still think Freddy is a long shot to make the team but I'm curious to see how he does.

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Is there gonna be any television coverage for this tournament?

4. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Why all the conspiracy theories?

But you hit on something more insightful in your 2nd graph. Too bad you still don't believe he's good enough to make the team.

But I still do.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adu would be a great guy to bring off the bench in this tournament simply because Freddy is a big time name at this point.

If for no other reason, when we bring Freddy on as a sub in a close or tie game, the other team may very well pay him way more attention than is warranted, freeing up space for guys like Convey, Clark, Johnson and Mapp (what's his injury like?) If the other team thinks they're about see some 14 year old go Pele on their ass, there's a chance it could disrupt their gameplan.

Freddy's certainly good enough to hold his own out there, but I'd be careful not to expose him to too much physical abuse. The 75th minute sub sounds like a decent plan to me.

Maybe the other teams vaguely have heard of Convey beacuse of the Tottenham move, but they KNOW Freddy. The kid's 14 and has made like 3 appearances on Futbol Mundial already.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I love this phrase.

7. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I'd expect it to be the usual Univision family of networks coverage, with most of the games probably being on Galavision and some on Telefutura and Univison. Basically the same set-up as the U-17's.

And I ditto the love for the "go Pele on their ass" phrase.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i KNEW i should have bought the Washington Post yesterday! this is actually very good news. Hopefully the kid can do well and bring some exposure to the game here. I'm sure that we'd get some sportscenter hits if the guy could climb up in age like this and score a couple of goals (crossing fingers).

9. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is no question that Adu is very good, but Rongen gave us a reason why he won't call up Adu and i accepted his resoning. Now the change of mind and we ask why ?, there could be one, or more then one reason as you mentioned above. I might ad that maybe the recent interest fron Euro clubs might have something to do with it. US Soccer and the powers that be in this country might want to keep Adu busy and involved constantly within the program and not give him enough time to think of Europe.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could that be it? some sort of pressure that is coming down from clubs around the world that want to see him? hmmmmmm, this is totally speculative, but does this whole thing smell of a soon to be signing somewhere for Adu?

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Just curious, where does the kid fit in one this squad? He isn't going to play forward. We're stocked there with Eddie Johnson, Santino Quaranta, Alecko Eskandarian, and Mike Magee among others. If I remember correctly Bobby Convey, Arturo Alvarez, Justin Mapp, Ned Grabavoy are among the midfielders he'd have to beat out.

12. gsc29

gsc29 New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Aleko is a U-23. EJ look sgreat on paper, but... Can't say that Santino has been the answer in DC. Magee has been a large part of the anemic Metro attack.

13. Isn't Freddy supposed to be going to MLS next year? He is finishing school early so that he can do just that. If so, why would anyone be worried about him getting beat up playing with U-20's. I think that he is going to have to get used to it anyway. Look at how teams played vs. Maradonna... In his prime he was CONSTANTLY fouled. I am not saying that Adu will be as good as Maradonna, but it is clear from the U-17 tourney that he is already a target. Personally I have no doubt that he can play with the U-20's. I think that his biggest obstacle on the U-17's was that the guys around him lacked composure and couldn't anticipate him. In essence, they were useless in combination with him. He will look better with the U-20's, as they have a lot more experience and skill than the U-17's, and won't feel content to just watch him try to take on the opposition by himself. I hope he makes it.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    considering where to play him, i've always thought the kid would be dynamite running behind two forwards- eddiej and magee or whoever but he could do some damage as a sub.

15. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I don't understand the questions about where Adu would play. He's not physical enough to play midfield, and he's lethal up front. He's obviously what Italians call a "seconda punta", the small forward who needs a big centerforward foil like McBride to play next to.

16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu has graduated from the U17's. Now, the assessment must focus on the rapidity with which he might be able to develop into a full USMNT player. The only way to do that, it would seem to me, is to insert him into the mix of various teams, e.g., U20's, Olympic, etc. to assess his fit with those guys. It doesn't necessarily mean he will be on the roster of any team going to any particular tournament. It does mean that he will be assessed in increasingly high level situations. There is a lot of maturity necessary before anything at the USMNT level can really happen, but that is the ultimate goal. Any lower level national team tournaments between now and WC06 would be great, but not necessary.

17. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other players should also be moved up to the U-20s. Memo Gonzalez and Johnathan Spector as well. Adu is possibly in the Japan-Friendly squad due to Quaranta's injury.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not to nitpick but I got a socceramerica e:mail today stating teh Quarantra was slated as a midfielder, and was added today to the roster....... (dont ask for a link, I already tossed the e:mail in the recycle bin..)

Still doesnt answer your question, but it is one less forward to beat out....

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Team of the tournament , U17s(WorldSoccer)

Oscar Ustari(Independiete)

Defenders

Leo(Brazil)
    Ezequiel Garay(Argentina)
    Francis(Spain/Barcelona)

Midfielders

Sisi(Spain)
    Junior(brazil)
    Fredy Guarin(columbia)
    Alberto Ramirez(mexico)
    cesc(Spain)

Forwards