Adude! Where's my car-eer?!: general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

effing beat me to it!!!:D

have a nice day.:)

3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You suggested that the people who don't rate him should stop posting.

4. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i also suggested the same to other groups who respond back with the same tired arguments (out of position, he has improved, etc).

and i never said to stop posting. i said some people should chill and evalute before posting the same thing over and over. once again, if you would have read my post i never said people should stop posting, just be more mindful before mouth breathing all over your keyboard.

here is my post, so you don't have to go digging for it.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All fantastic and kokoplus10 approved.

6. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you take this contract in sickness and in health till death do you part? Adu!

7. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Who loves orange soda? K-k-k-kelllll loves orange soda. Is it true? Mm-hmm! Adu, Adu, Adu-uuuu.

Sorry, I just felt compelled. It won't happen again.

1 person likes this.
  8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not sure if I need to explain my position again but I have long maintained that Adu has always been a little more than a hype, someone who excelled as both an early bloomer and an overaged player.

It seems like a lot of people in the "soccer media", aside of those who promoted him during his heyday, have come to this conclusion.

If that is the case - and you can believe what you want, as there are no hard facts either way - his career trajectory is far easier to understand.

When he was young, his age (mated to his ball control) was a major factor in his domination of the youth soccer scene.

As the age became irrelevant, his natural athleticism became a major hindrance.

Add some personal hubris that were arguably built-in at an early age when he was compared to Pele and you get a player with some potential but little willingness to exploit it in a hard-fought competitive match.

He will show flashes now and again but will also commit a lot of mental and physical errors when a player of his experience shouldn't.

Now, obviously, Benfica didn't agree with me after the 2007 U-20 WC and gave him a lot of money, largely based on those series of matches but that U-20 was basically Freddy's pinnacle.

They projected an improvement off that level but Adu did not progress as expected.

My reasons for that were at the top of the post.

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happens to more U-20 players than we'd care to imagine. Still, looking back on that day that we saw Adu, Altidore, Pato and Jo on the same field and Freddy clearly was in a different (and better) class than the other three, it's sad to see what's become of him since.

I can understand Benfica throwing some cash to acquire him after that performance. What I don't understand is their unwillingness to work with him enough to get some return on that investment. Leads me to conclude that either (1) Benfica isn't run like a very good business or (2) Freddy's not coachable anymore . . . or perhaps both.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I thought Pato, though he missed a lot of chances that day, was better than Adu and certainly much more of a prospect to his speed and quickness.

But the second best player that day may have been Sal Zizzo, who gave Marcelo a torrid time on the right flank.

Well, Marcelo is with Real Madrid now while Sal is with the Chivas USA.

11. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can nutmeg cones all day but if you don't play in real games on a regular basis you will not improve no matter how much potential you have...

12. USA2014

USA2014 Member

May 4, 2010
    Split cones yes, but how the hell do you nutmeg one?

Sorry, comletely off-topic...if there is a topic right now...

13. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't he have magical ball skills? :)

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. That's just what he tells the ladies.

15. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Opinion meaninglessness confirmed.

In other, perhaps promisingish? news "Hope everybody is doing great. Apologies for the lack of tweets recently but just concentrating on soccer/football. That always comes first." -freddyadu11

16. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So guys what is freddy future right now?

17. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Fred for tweeting to explain why you weren't tweeting!

In before the lock!!!

W000T!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Since this thread is still open, does that imply that all the new thread titles are unacceptable?

How about, "A Dun't Know What A Dun Wrong"

There's a new tweet, btw, that mentions the word "Greece". A clue!

20. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you post it?

21. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    "Finished training. gotta start training real early because it is wayy too hot in greece. Wayy too hot. Unbelievable"

If he is setting his own training times, I'm not sure that is a good thing...

22. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He cannot decide to unilaterally train in the morning. This is bad, really really bad. Maybe they will kick him out for insubordination. Oh wait that would be good, he could go anywhere he wants. Ahhh this is it, he is doing it on purpose. His listening to his iPod during training didnt work. Has this been in the newspapers yet. No. Lets publish it on bleacher report. Maybe then it will be in the Greek newspapers and we can have the press official comment on this, or even better say it came from a team member. The faster he gets back to MLS the better. But what if he stays, and tries for playing time. What, what, *@#$ this is heresy. Nurse, NURSE where is my medication.

1 person likes this.
  23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Did the thought occur to you guys that the coach/ team decided to train early due to the heat? He didn't say "finished training alone" or "finished my training." You may be right, but you're jumping to conclusions.

24. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    Yeah, that would make sense too.

But jumping to conclusions is our only training! :p

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz