Adu vs. (fill in the blank) {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by elbita, Jul 16, 2005.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Re: Adu vs. (fill in the blank)

I'm not comparing them as players, just citing a precedent for putting someone on the roster for the experience rather than the intention of using him extensively.

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Freddy is certainly as good NOW as Donavon and Beasley were when they got their first cap (if we are looking for a basis of comparison).

3. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not a chance. are you saying that if you put adu on the wc team he would be the face of the team because he is the best player and leader of the team, like landon and beas were 3 years ago. i dont think so, he may be the focus of attention over there, but it wont be because his skill, probably just to sell jerseys or something.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

How do you know, Freddy hasnt been given his first cap. If he does get a cap before the world cup, i hope its against one of those sorry concacaf sides (all of them suck except Mexico)

This is for JRI

5. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003

Tell me who is hyping him up. If not for this guy, half the people who have heard of the MLS in the U.S. wouldn't know what the MLS is or that it exists.Everyone around soccer is bashing him to bits. Only the media with no soccer knowledge is hyping him up, so why do you listen and why do you care. All these commentators, like Eric Wynalda, most fans that have watched more than a few games, and most soccer writers just talk about how overrated he is, how he's done nothing this season. He has become underrated in my mind among all people around soccer. Hello, he's 16! He'd be starting on every other team in the league other than DC, and on several of them he might be the best player. He also brings a unique quality to the team no one has. He probably shouldn't make the team based on what his skills would bring. There are probably a few better options, such as Ching, Wolff, Casey, Gaven, and maybe someone like Quaranta. But these guys aren't much better, if at all better, than Adu would be. And if Adu was on the roster, soccer would get much more coverage, and it would give a star for the future much more experience. Remember, our last striker in the last World Cup, Joe Max-Moore, didn't play a minute anyway. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't get much out of a player other than a valuable experience for him and a lot of media coverage for the team. He is definitely capapble of making a game changing play out of nothing.

6. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003

Yes, but the U.S. is not Brazil. Ronaldo would have probably been our best player in that World Cup, but he couldn't play a minute for Brazil. Adu wouldn't be in contention for this World Cup with Brazil.

7. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

What on earth has Adu done to earn the "educational experience" of being on the World Cup squad? He can't even hold onto the ball at the MLS or U20 level. It would kill team morale to have him in camp unless he has earned it.
    The next time DC plays Chicago I hope he starts and plays the whole game. It improves the chances for the Fire.
    I think a lot of people are afraid to admit they were wrong about Adu so they still cling to this belief he is some kind of supernatural player. Let's face it. He is at best a marginal MLS player who may not get any better. Give credit to the players coming up like Dempsey and Mapp. They are way ahead of Adu.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

I don't think anyone has taken credit from Dempsey and Mapp. Being an exceptional 16y/o that we hope is going to continue to improve is enough to earn an educational experience.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

So basically he is a marketing tool.

There are some people on here that say he should be on the world cup roster. Im going to get that link for you. If thats not overrating him them what is?

. Everyone would wonder why isnt Freddy playing then Change the channel. Thats what happend with my friends.

Im not bashing him, if your talking abot me. Im telling the truth. You say he should be on the roster just for marketing of soccer in America, but then that spot that he takes could be used for a player that could help win a match in Germany, or help do something other than get the media involved. Freddy will be even more pressured if he gets on that roster.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Not so with Donovan. Remember, when Donovan got his first cap, it was after an Olympic Games where he scored the only game that he got any real minutes in. Before that, Landon had dominated lower-age youth play even more than Freddy did (i.e., winning the Golden Boot at the U17 Worlds).

Wasn't Landon also playing more regularly in MLS by that time? Maybe not ...

For DFB, you might be right.

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I just said dont compare the two thats all man.

12. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003

watch the highlights i posted, if donovan had been the recipeint of that though ball it wouldve likely been a goal.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Who are you saying this to?

14. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003

everyone

15. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

It always comes down to HE IS ONLY SIXTEEN. I think that is not true, but so what if it is right? He can't play in the MLS yet. You assume he is 16 and will get better. Even if he is sixteen he might not get too much better. He sure hasn't gotten any better over the last 15 months has he?

We have enough small players. In Adu you have the smallest player who can't hold onto the ball and won't play defense. Give someone a chance who has earned it. Forget the hype.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

The issue of Adu's age has been discussed ad nauseum everywhere in BS. Unless Adu figured some way around multiple bone scans, you're breath smells like an outhouse. And yes, he has gotten better over the last 15 months. And I don't know that Adu's inclusion would mean the exclusion of someone who has earned it (do we have 23 players who have earned it?)

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Yes there are 23 players that have earned it. Do you want me to name them all?

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Not necessary. ;)

19. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

What bone scans are you talking about? FIFA just started using it and I know of no bone scan he has passed. In another thread someone said the USSF had done one but that sort of flies in the face of the Sanctity of the Birth Certificate doesn't it?
    He has not gotten any better over the last 15 months. He may have gotten worse. Even more troubling is he is not working at all on his defensive weaknesses. He shows no interest in playing defense. You can go on and on about HE IS ONLY SIXTEEN but with his attitude, he may not improve. Why should he? He is already rich and famous. He has gotten more goodies than any almost any other male soccer player in the US. But I don't think he can play and he has no business on our national team until he deserves it. It has to be that way if you want to win.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Please, let's not make this an age discussion! Also, since you can't provide a link for your statement, you shouldn't be throwing stones at Flannigan's credibility. Flannigan not the only one who makes stuff up on these boards, you know. He just gets called on it more often because he writes opinions that people disagree with.

21. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United

I actually agree with you that he has no business on the natioonal team until he earns it {gasp!!!} but I must disagree with you on his defensive abilities. I think that he has improved in that area somewhat. He is no Eddie Pope and he does not have to be. What he does need to improve on is decision making when he has the ball. (well, that's not the only thing but the one that stands out most to me). As with all players, the best way to get better is through playing time, which has been sporadic with the first team. He has played significant minutes (as far as I know) with the reserves and with the U-20's, but there has been a lot of inconsistency this year. I feel that being a teenager and going through all the media hype, the pressure to perform, etc. he has done well. He will improve.

22. elbita

elbita New Member

May 4, 2005
    London

fact check time:
    1. i thought ronaldo was 16 at the 1994 WC...anyone?

2. joe-max did play in the 2002 WC. not much, but he got in a little.

assists are meaningless. wow. tell that to dennis bergkamp. if you need an explanation, let me know.

mr. flannigan, is this all just a clever ruse?

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

I have to admit, I just did some googling one Adu, and could not find where I had read about his bone scans. Anyway, I still believe that he is 16. I once did not and made a comment to that effect on a board only to be neg repped into the floor. I think there is something to be said that if he weren't he would probably want to admit it so that he could play abroad. Also, I'm not sure that Adu would be a good inclusion on the roster, I just think that it is worth considering. While I am sure that we could find 23 players who are better than him, I'm not sure that we could find 23 that are better than him and would actually play. I think there is more value in having one or two of the young talents on the roster to learn than there is in including a player who won't see minutes.

25. elbita

elbita New Member

May 4, 2005
    London

ronaldo DOB: sept 22, 1976, from the link above.
    so, at the time of WC 1994, he was 17, almost 18.

wonder what carlos valderrama thinks about the value of assists in soccer.