Adu vs. (fill in the blank) {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by elbita, Jul 16, 2005.

1. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Re: Adu vs. (fill in the blank)

"Light years away..." the same could have been said of beasely, GAM, etc, etc before they broke on to the scene.

I'm not saying Adu's going to make it, but at least give the kid a chance.

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't disagree with your point of view, in general, but in the games I have seen, Freddy has given nice balls to Moreno and left himself positioned well for a return give-and-go type of situation. They didn't happen. Not saying they always should, either. Just that there have been a number of situations in which, to my eye, the best option would have been to look for Adu and give him the ball. Instead, Moreno seems to look everywhere but for Adu most of the time. Just my view.

3. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001

lol - I love wolff, as he plays for my wiz (though he's highly overpaid for what he does for us - but that's another discussion), but in watching Adu several times this year vs the wiz (and again tomorrow night), I would have to say the only thing wolff has over Adu is his hustle. Wolff almost never stops running. BUT, Adu's passes (vision of the field) and shots are much better than Wolffs.

I wouldn't relegate Adu to "the wolff role", unless you are saying potentially take wolff's spot, in which case, I'd agree with you and the entire point of my post is worthless. lol

4. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA

And just to put this in perspective, I remember the Chicago-DC game last year when Gros attempted to run down Beasley on the left flank. Even with the ball Beasley creamed him, taking it from box to box. It still sticks in my memory just how fast DMB was on that sequence, and gives you a sense of where Adu's relative speed lies.

5. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001

That's the game that keeps coming back to me - KC vs Dc - he made our defense look silly the first half with his passing, dribbling, etc.

Now compare that to the YWK, and it shows that Adu is still a kid trying to learn to play in different systems - a lot to learn yet, but moving forward steadily.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

C'mon, man, Josh is the absolute king of the flick-on, as evidenced by his assist vs. Mexico in World Cup play, and his goal in the Gold Cup on Saturday. Indeed, Josh would far prefer to flick than to shoot. ;)

OK, the flick-on is not the world's most important skill, but let's not deny the man his due.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This bears repeating.
    And, Bennismalls who wrote:
    I will take full credit for preferring Freddy over Ralston on the right. What's wrong with it? I gave my reasons and they come down to what I think Freddy can bring to the table (of Nats players, not DCU players) right now. I think he would blossom working with LD, DMB and JOB. Ralston is as good as he ever will be. Am I overrating Adu or underrating Ralston? I think not.

8. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001

lol - ok, I'll give Wolff that one also! (though I'm not sure how many I've seen Freddy do! Maybe he's still trying to figure out which tricks he's got in his bag...)

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Today?

If Ralston had occupied Freddy's spot at U20 Worlds, the U20 team would have done better. If Freddy were in Ralston's spot at Gold Cup, the senior team would do worse.

When it comes to World Cup selections, today is all that matters, not future careers. Although yes, this rank could change over the next 12 months.

10. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

Agreed. I love it when Adu plays for DC United against the Fire. That helps us win as he is often the worst player on the field.
    Comparing Adu to Josh Wolff is a bit much. When healthy, Wolff is a great player. Adu is a long way from being a decent MLS player let alone a candidate for the national team.

11. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003

that is factually incorrect

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Amazing, I pulled up the soccernet mls leader board for assists, and Adu was in there, and with fewer games played than most. Absolutely baffling how the worst player on the field manages that. Luck I guess.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

All in all, IMORIN, it was your opinion, but why would you want him there. No infact, its like you were saying Freddy Adu is better than Steve Ralston. I know its your opinion, but its just hard to swallow. I maybe wrong on your opinion.

Overall, lets leave Freddy Alone. He already has a big head. Him being talented is no question, but him being on peoples world cup roster is funny. Especially people who have such high reps.

14. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

has adu been tested against any other national team. no. he hasnt been a stand out in the mls so far. so why should we be putting him on the full team, because the. you think he plays better when his teamates are around his level. i didnt see any differance between his game in mls and the u20 tourny. hes only 16 and belongs no where near the nt for atleast another 2-3 years, and should be left alone and given tim to grow and develop so when he isnt tested now and fail, whereas he will get better by the time he should be put with that team.

15. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  16. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

Assists are a meaningless statitstic that no one outside of Aduville pays any attention to. A recent World Soccer article pointed out that the premier League pays no attention to it. I don't think Adu deserved some of those assists either, any more than some of the penalties. But...let us pray....

HE IS ONLY SIXTEEN!
    HE IS ONLY SIXTEEN!
    HE IS ONLY SIXTEEN!

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Especially that assist against Eygypt in the WYC, He was trying to shoot. Took a deflection. I cant believe he took credit for it.

18. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003

so if it was a deflection that went into the goal he shouldnt be credited with the goal?

And how exactly, are assists meaningless statistics?

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Its not the fact that it was credited to him. He made it seem like he intentionally created that goal. He said " i came in to create and thats just what i did" If thats not a big headed statement for a goal that was hardly created by him, then i dont know what is.

20. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, today. I don't care what Freddy did at the U20s. It doesn't mean a thing to what he could do with the full Nats team. I am dwelling on the skills he has and what he can bring to the proverbial table. Everyone is welcome to disagree with me. I just think his talent is so high that it cannot shine properly without the right surrounding, just like Donovan does not shine without the right surrounding.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

It seems that we are now having two conversations. The first being whether Adu will (or should) get a call up in 2006. The second is whether Adu is a "decent" MLS player. I think we have gotten to the point that it is unclear whether he will have the skills, speed, etc. by next year to warrant a place on the roster, but that he probably does not merit that position yet. Of course, it is also possible to put him on the roster and not play him, making the experience purely educational (isn't that what Ronaldo did in his first WC?). The second conversation about whether Adu is a decent MLS player is just silly. I don't think anyone here has claimed that he is the best, or one of the best players in the league. That being said, assists are an important statistic (and I am pretty indifferent to him) payed attention to by everyone.

22. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so youre saying this 16 yearold should be given everything that probably the best soccer player in the us, landon, just because he has more hype than anything ever on earth, and a billion times the hype that he deserves. im sure some day he will be a good player, but he needs to tune his skill, the on the nt is not the to do it, it would hurt the team. he stays off that team for a couple more years in my opinion.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Could be. Not my view, but I am well aware that different situations can lead to dramatically different results for the same player.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Dont compare Ronaldo to Adu. Ronaldo was 18 in the world cup roster, not just tunring 17. Ronaldo was bigger (which makes a difference), Probably faster, but thats a whole other Story.

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Now you are just being plain stupid.

Earlier this year, this was not the case (1-1 tie)

In the recent game in Chicago, Chicago led 3-1 at halftime (sans Adu). Freddy entered 2nd half, and drew a penalty early (he woulda likely scored) and the final score was 4-3 (win for Chicago).

2nd game: Without Adu- DC 1 Chicago 3
    With Adu- DC 2 Chicago 1

What you are saying here in total crap- throw against the wall and see what sticks..