ADU: V. Guimarães x SL Benfica (1/26)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by dilmo22, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Freddy never really had a chance to get into the game.

2. AmeriMex

AmeriMex Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Orange County, Calif
    92nd Cardozo with an empty net goal, as Cardozo picked off a poor pass from the GK, and then slotted it by the GK from almost the half field. Adu, I believe, had cleared the ball forward from the back line to the box and the GK just had a piss poor clearance. Cardozo will not find an easier goal than that

FT

3. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy looked lost out there... Hopefully he shakes it off in time for Mexico.

4. AmeriMex

AmeriMex Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Orange County, Calif
    I don't know dilmo..he had 3-4 nice touches, compared to the the 5-6 touches he had for the whole game, not bad.

5. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I thought he was pretty poor. It's probably a result of not playing much lately. The 10-15 minutes he gets will probably decrease as the new signings come in, so I wonder if they would consider sending him on loan to one of the lower sides to get some regular playing time?

6. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting scraps of playing time recently showed today. That's OK, not every YA can be like Mike Bradley!

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never have thought, six months ago, that I'd be nodding my head in agreement with this sentence.

8. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, play started with Adu clearing/passing? the ball...here is a clip

http://futebol.videos.sapo.pt/O4SBGPsKT2b0MpYK7NFW

9. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd call it a clearance, but a directed clearance. Not a bona fide "pass."

10. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    hence my clearing/passing? :)

11. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the question mark meant you weren't sure, and were soliciting our opinions by posting the video link. :D

12. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    No men, if he was going to get loaned out he would have been already. We need him in the squad.
    [FONT=&quot]I think he should have more time too, but if Camacho doesn’t feel the same way there is nothing we can do about it to change it.

Well, maybe we could bitch about it in the forum but I doubt he speaks English :D

Besides, it was just one game, no need to freak out.[/FONT]

13. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    A 32 year old Vitória de Guimarães fan was stabbed, but his life is not at risk.
    The author (a Benfica fan) was arrested.

Another 3 non identified fans were hospitalized for being hit by rocks.

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I'd call it a long pass - notice how Adu waits for the ball to arrive while keeping an eye downfield. If it was just a clearance he'd probably have moved to the ball, and it's unlikely that it would have ended up right in the path of the forward's run.

15. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its tough to come in as a sub and get into the flow of the game.

16. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Di Maria was superb, wow.

Setup a tap in for maxi to score with a ronaldo/quaresm-esque combined run, fantastic.

Adu struggled a bit, but cant really fault him..didnt have much support considering how aweful our midfield is in retaining the actual ball and dominating and being creative in quick distribution..which is a big shame for a portuguese club.

Still, the 3 points is what matters, and hopefully sporting shock porto tomomrow, although veloso, liedson, Polga, and moutinho alone will not be enough.

17. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Video of the goals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlHyhFLEo8

ps: Somebody asked long ago if it was usual to have scouts in the league games.
    In this game there were some english scouts from Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool.
    Also there were scouts from Nuremberg, the team we'll face in UEFA, Sunderland, Celta de Vigo, Seville, Malaga, Espanyol, Fiorentina and Marseille along side with other scotus from Portuguese teams.

So yeah, it's quite common to have scouts watching the league regularly.

18. Guilhe

Guilhe New Member

Jan 26, 2008

Cannot agree.

Di Maria had 1 good moment when he dribbled past 1 player and assists Maxi. I don't undestand why Di Maria is being so protected by the coach the media and some fans, I do hope he turns out to be a geat player but right now I'd like to see Adu (or even Bergessio as he says he can play there) be given a chance in his place.

19. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    This was one of Di Maria's best exhibitions so far!

He played very well offensively in the position he plays best (left wing).
    And he is improving defensively from game to game, you should take notice of his work on defense, he didn’t just create the second goal out of thin air (which by itself was pretty good already).

20. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    lol?

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Exactly, finally played his proper position and look how well he played.

We just need someone who can do welll on the right.

22. Guilhe

Guilhe New Member

Jan 26, 2008

Well, I don't think this is the thread to have this discussion but I just want to say that I still don't understand how can you say Di Maria had a good game, the fact that game was one of his best since he arrived only shows how much he needs to improve.

Do well on the right? What about Maxi? He has not Di Maria flair but he his competent enough and even scores some goals. we should be concerned about a right back or a left attacking midfielder who can do well in the short term as Rodriguez as hinted he isn't very interested in signing a new contract.Also I'd be careful about who we let go for free, the other day Inter was playing Juve with 2 central midfielders fired by Benfica.That was depressing.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    hmm, so that's why Benfica haven't bring home any silverwares in recent years. sad indeed.:(:rolleyes:

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Very hard to show anything playing 15 minutes per match. Am assuming that Camacho's view of Freddy comes primarily from the training sessions, because there really isn't a whole lot that can be judged from 15 minutes.