Adu to Chelsea

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Fah Que, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same process. Freddy would be rejected on the grounds of not enough caps then on appeal they would argue that he has the potential to have a positive impact on English soccer and they would vote. In Freddy's case it might be an easy victory.
    Now I have no idea on the question of age in the work permit issue in England.
    It seems that FIFA's rules mean nothing at this point, if this is all real, so who knows what the Home Office has to say about it all.
    This is getting confusing. :)

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Abramovich gets whatever he wants..
    If he wants Adu then he'll get him.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Convey was a complete bust, then he would unquestionably contribute more to English club football playing for Spurs, than Freddy would playing for Chelsea. So while you might be right, if Freddy were to get a WP, that would convince me that the WP system is hopelessly corrupt and favors the big clubs. Alot of the Spurs fans have been arguing this, and have come up with other situations that, in light of Tim getting his WP when he was just supposed to compete for the #1 slot, that are dubious.

But to go so far as to give a WP to a 14 year old who is an unbelievable longshot to play for the club in any meaningful matches would be pretty horrible.

4. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    with the strength of his family in his corner - I bet he ends up a DCUnited for 1 or 2 years and then he is sold overseas - after Arena caps him enough so he won't have a work permit problem.

5. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I, too, believe that he would be better in MLS for a couple of years... I think that the first team play that he would get would be much better than youth/reserve matches... it would surely be good for US soccer and it would be very interesting to see the kind of transfer deal that would eventuate should he turn out to be as good at "the next level" as we think he is capable... it could set a precident that would cause euro teams to set a significantly different benchmark for US talent (and, no, I don't think that transfering players to richer leagues for substantial amounts of money is a bad thing... unless they don't get on the field)...

I do worry about injury, but I'm not convinced that there are more thugs in MLS than in Europe (maybe a little less subtle;-)... I believe that the refs would protect him more than "golden boy" (and that is saying something)... I do worry about Hudson's track record in developing young talent (basically, none)... should be real interesting to see what happens...

rand

6. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Why doesn't Abramovich just buy MLS? Or at least a couple franchises. He's bought a team in Australia.

Then he can park the Freddy Adu's and Bobby Convey's of the world in MLS until they are ready to:
    a. to play in London
    b. be loaned out to another EPL team
    c. be sold on

Actually, I've been surprised that no Euro clubs have thought of buying an MLS team. Probably has to do with the non-Euro status of players here (See also, Bobby Convey work permit snafu).

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have you ever heard of the Real Miami rumor?

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm sorry to have probably raised this question for the millionth time, but if he was in their youth academies, and not even being considered for 1st team ball. Which would seem to be the most sensiable and realistic situation if he signs for any club in England. Is he still required to have a work permit even if he's in a Youth Academy?

9. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you ignoring my rhetorical question, that the reason the Adu's signed the Nike contract was to provide them the security against such premature temptation, is really really silly.

10. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    When am I going to stop taking the bait on these stupid Adu threads? I guess admitting that I have a problem is the first step.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Jovan didn't need one when he was in ManU's youth academy. But some British posters have said the rules have changed since then.

But this begs the question, why would a club do this? It would be foolish for a club to believe Bruce would give Freddy enough caps to get a WP when he's playing youth academy matches. Not even reserves, but in the youth academy. So a club would be paying something for nothing.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wish we knew a little more concretely what the story was with that. I know that with Spector it was mentioned that his 'work permit wasn't a problem,' because of his parents passport in wherever etc. etc. If we knew more about this regulation than the whole debate about the Fifa u-18 law would be moot. Or at very least would give some indication as to where this kid was going. The more I think about this given all the factors. MLS need for him to play here, but finacial inability to keep up with major clubs, the U-18 rule, the work permit, given the fact that Motzkin set up the Landon loan deal, I would be willing to bet a big european club finds a way to give this kid a bigtime signing bonus, and he's then paid by MLS on loan until he can play competatively over seas. Right now that just seems to make the most sense to me.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jovan had a student visa. He had an amateur status with MU. His WP was not an issue until he was given a professional contract. I do not know what do they by amateur status.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I get it now. I misunderstood you, I thought you were making a statement about Freddy's value on the open market.

15. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I appreciate the work you've done to educate this board on the child labor laws.

Freddy is not above the law now, nor in a year's time.

So, why only 3m over 4 years? Why not 50m over 10 years? You know, make a statement with your publicity if you're going to even bother to rumourmonger.

16. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    This is true. 16 year old Canadian (Jamie Peters) was offered a position with the Man City youth Academy, but did not go as he could not qualify for a work permit.

I've been thinking of this, and unless there is something that nobody has hit upon, the only possible reason I can think off is for the "splash effect". i.e. Make a big splash signing a much hyped player and perhaps this makes Chelsea's youth academy more attractive to the top British and european kids as a result? You know, we got the best players and the best youth players so join the Chelsea wave. Because you are right, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise.

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    To be approved for a work permit, I thought a player has to make a positive impact now, not one, two, or three years from now. I think most people would argue that Freddy is unlikely to make immediate impact on any EPL team.

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This quote exhibits the same lack of understanding about how MLS works that the Real Miami rumor does, along with the fear that Club America's purchase of San Jose or Chivas's new team. MLS teams will, as long as single entity exists (which Peter Wilt says will be a long time), not simply become farm clubs no matter who buys the teams. That is because the league, not the individual clubs, owns the player contracts. So, maybe something like the deal the Metros have with Boca could arise for Chivas or Real Miami, where the teams loan players (with options to buy) who don't look like they have much of a future with their clubs. However, because MLS has to approve any transfer in or out, you'll never see an MLS team being plundered of all its talent by its owner, simply because MLS would never approve cut-rate transfers like some people seem to imagine. If Abramovich bought an MLS team, he would have to abide by MLS's rules, just like Vergara is with Chivas de San Diego.

19. NOFX

NOFX New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm not sure if someone mentioned this yet but...

Unless the rules have changed over the past couple years gaining citizenship or residency in England is tougher than here in the US. In Freddy's case his parents would have to recieve a work permit, which is very difficult to do, or at least time consuming... like years. The easiest way is to work for a company that is in England also and recieve transfer there. Only if you are a citizen of European Union member can you just up and move to England.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Hey, someone Superdave doesn't have to educate. sweet