Adu probably means Etch is gone; Hudson too? (Wagman & Davidson, SoccerTimes)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Adu probably means Etch is gone; Hudson too? (Wagman & Davidson, SoccerTimes 11/21)

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2003/nov21.htm

Don't tell me we're not getting MLS's special "make it up as we go along" treatment here with the Etch allocation. The idea that we're due an allocation for a player that we're apparently going to waive ... !?! I repeat: !?!.

I understand why MLS is doing it. I just wish it weren't wrapped up in all this bullsh!t to make it look legit. Then again, maybe, it'll play itself out differently than Wagman and Davidson say here.

One other thing, even I, by reputation the most vitriolic of Etch bashers, think it rather classless that it'd come down to waiving him. That would lack all grace. Hopefully he'll retire or just move on and the whole waiving business will just go away. It would be a shame if it really did end that way.

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    When it comes to rosters, caps, trades... f-it, ANY player moves in this league for that matter, its ALL bull$hit.

Nothing surprises me at this point.

Between LA, NJ, and DC we are the Soupy Sales of soccer leagues.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Just say he's leaving on a free rather than being waived. same thing really.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I hope Marco decides to retire instead of trying to play in some crap league elsewhere.

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Who cares how it happens. Everybody knew that if Adu signed with MLS he was coming to DC. It helps the league and helps the kid. I'm more worried about that team being able to sign only Hispanic players.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As far as I know, Etcheverry is out of contract after December and saying that he will be "waived" is really just another way of saying that he will not be re-signed..

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could probably make big bucks playing in one of those "sheik oil leagues" like UAE.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Adu probably means Etch is gone; Hudson too? (Wagman & Davidson, SoccerTimes 11/21)

Lets stick to reality ! Etcheverry is old and need to be replace, thats the reality of any human endeavor, I really hope he stay and try to get a job as coach ...

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tray sheik.

;)

10. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    i hope etch moves on and gets an opportunity to play in europe maybe for a secound division english team then retire shortly after. I do not want to see him playing in asia. anything is possible guys.

11. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Now that DC has captured Adu
    It's time to bid Hudson adieu
    Put him in a ketch
    With Hristo and Etch
    And set them on course for Peru.

12. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    That's about the size of it.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...not with a bang, but a whimper..."

14. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Someone's been reading the "How to Write Hikoo" book from Sealab 2021. [/thatsucked]

If Marco is waived, that would be a sign of low class from the front office. I hope he would at least stay on as a coach. In fact, give him Stoitchkov's job and be done with it. Etch has practically been the face of United since our inception. Don't let him go to some shite league or do commentary and then trot him back on to the RFK pitch for a weak testimonial like they did with John Harkes.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Ahem] Wouldn't that be a limerick? [cough]

Gotta disagree about Etch as coach--I think he needs to move on. Coaching might very well be the next step for him, and he may very well be good at it (I wish him the best).
    The fact that he's been the face of the team since inception is exactly why I think that--the team needs to move on.

Having said that, they damn well better give him a classy send-off next season. Anything less than a halftime testimonial and some serious props from the front office would be a massive insult and some seriously stupid PR.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    About the Etch as coach issue ... Bruce Arena has said Etch would make a good coach and I think eventually he'll end up in the coaching ranks in MLS or elsewhere. It may not be the right time for him to stay on in a coaching capacity at DC United but perhaps in a few years ...

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Adu probably means Etch is gone; Hudson too? (Wagman & Davidson, SoccerTimes 11/

What are the specifics of the Valderrama situation? The 'Pids got an allocation for him.

18. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Re: Re: Adu probably means Etch is gone; Hudson too? (Wagman & Davidson, SoccerTimes 11/

I don't think they did. At least they didn't use it sign Grimandi.

"The Rapids signed Grimandi by using a Discovery Pick after the player visited the club and trained with the team at the end of last season. "

http://www.soccergamenight.com/mls/news2003/january/0108grimandi.htm

19. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Erm...you're right. I was a little too vodka-soaked this morning to realize what I was posting. It still sucked, though. :D

20. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Not to get too technical, that was actually a limerick. A haiku is 5-7-5, and does not have to rhyme, like below:

If Adu's 18,
    Not 14, Then Marco is

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Does that mean he wasn't playing in a "crap league" here?

22. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    The league set the precedent when it started giving allocations out for departing big-name players. If Colorado gets one for Valderrama (a player they waived), then there's no way we don't get one for Etch. Is it legit? No. However, I don't really see where the cover-up is. No one's making an effort to hide this, unlike the magic lotteries we've seen.

Go ask metrostar fans whether Colorado got an allocation for Valderrama. They'll tell you all about it before going into a long rant about deserving one for Tab Ramos.

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Did Arena really say that? - Watching the first DC-Chi playoff game and being dismayed at how distracted both Stoichkov and Etch got protesting a a correctly called Off-Sides on Cerritos goal (and remembering all the other instances), I'd say Etch has a lot of growin to do before he can coach at upper levels - This guy (and Stoichkov) need to gain some objectivity and calmness during the games - They're clearly not ready to coach a major team

That said, maybe a teaching coach for younger players would be a good idea - And maybe what Arena had in mind - Etch has had a positive teaching influence on some of DCU's younger players - And Stoichikov is supposed to have been instrumental in Beasley's (sp?) development at Chicago - But where? - Would they be able to be content as an assistant coach in MLS or anywhere else? - Coach for "Junior" team for a major European club? - Coach at a soccer academy somewhere? - Work with the US Youth teams? -

These guys have a lot of experience and a lot of enthusiasm and it would be a shame to let this resource go to waste

24. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I'm with John. The MLS guy I think will make the best coach in due time is Goose, but that is for another thread.
    The thing that I don't get is why single entity has to interfere with all this stuff. I understand it, but if DC are going to get Adu, shouldn't the two teams have to work it out between themselves with minimal interference between the clubs. It is not too dissinilar from when Lindros wouldn't sign with Quebec. I know NHL isn't single entity, but the AV's won their first stanly cup because of the concessions the flyers made. Listen I love DCU, but it seems that Dallas should really be making out on this one. If the two teams couldn't reach an agreement, I could see the league step in but the league really allows for almost no independence.