Adu: Monaco x Nice 10/18 1PM EST (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Oct 17, 2008.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I prefer to torch my straw men, it's more efficient.

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Whatever Adu has been doing the past year and a half in Europe, it ain't working for him.

Instead of dreaming of ManU and Chelsea while warming the bench, he should ask himself some simple questions: What is missing in my game? What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do better?

Whether it be hitting the gym to build up some muscle and body strength, or working harder in practice, or showing more denfesive bite and work rate in his game. GO DO IT. Ohh, you're already doing it? Well, DO IT MORE, DO IT HARDER, because right now, IT AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH to get you off the damn bench. Good luck kid!!!!

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stamina is easy to correct in the right situation. If he really wants to stay in Europe he is better served by managing a loan to a dutch team. In Portugal and now in Monaco there is know reserves. Euro teams usually have short practices. Its impossible to maintain conditioning playing as a sub.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Marvell Wynne not only never gets caught from behind, he makes his markers seem stationary.

Right and that's what Freddy lacks - a player in his position has to ride tackles - not necessarily to beat someone off the dribble on his way to the goal - and hold the ball until his teammates make an expected run into space.

For a top level creative midfielder, that holding requirement is often aided by his ability to drive/dribble toward the goal against the marker and shoot from the outside.

Consider this an equivalent of a point guard in basketball (a Baron Davis or a Steve Nash ... and now I am talking like a Marcelo Balboa) who is a threat when he is marked tightly and when he is given space.

On the above standards, Freddy has following shortcomings - he doesn't have enough top pace to blow by a Top 5 league defender/defensive mid consistently on his way to the goal.

That lack of pace allows defenders/d-mids to mark him very tightly where, despite his excellent foot work and agility, Adu often ends up getting pushed off the ball, especially in the leagues where a lot of upper body contact is allowed.

Now, take an example of another small and slow attacker ... I mean, point guard, Steve Nash, who can get around most defenders despite not having a "breakaway" speed and who is a stupendous outside shooter.

But when you add up things Adu can't do - or, at least, isn't currently capable of doing consistently on the Ligue 1 level - you end up sitting him on the bench a lot.

But, should he move to a smaller league like Eredivisie, the average pace of individual players will be much easier for him to deal with.

If he doesn't establish himself with Monaco, a small step down (to Holland and/or back to Portugal) may be required for him.

He can be but he'll have to be Jamie Moyer'ish about it.

No, his pace and strength are average for a 2nd tier Euro League and far below the Top Six (if the Russian oligarchs have any money remaining after the latest economic developments).

And here's a major der kicker - you get a chance in Europe but, if you don't succeed there quickly and don't leave signs that you're about to break through, there's another guy to take your job.

This isn't the NBA or the NFL with its limited player movement. If a team has a gap at a spot, it is usually filled either after six months or after twelve.

PS. Also, this doesn't mean Fredua can't be useful for the US under some systems (4-4-1-1) where he is allowed to try and try again until he makes a play. But a decent Euro team isn't going to let him drive the bus just yet.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Freddy is FAR, FAR, away from being able to drive the bus. He can't even get on the bus right now.

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible? What they don't have treadmills?

Especially clubs that have big massive rosters, you see plenty of perenial subs able to give you a proper 90 without playing in Reserve matches.

I said this before but Monaco, have a massive squad for all the wrong reasons. I think this whole concept of Adu flying around europe till he finds a team that works for him is silly.

The man (boy) liked Benfica for whatever god awful reason ($), and thats the end of it. He has to live with his, and subsequently Benfica's, decision. They are not asking him to play a different sport, he needs to do whatever it takes to get on the pitch, which in my opinion is a theme that many yanks abroad have ignored this season.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Portugese league would seem to be an excellent stepping stone for a young world-class player.

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Also he probably saw a true legend playing the position he wanted that was retiring at the end of that season. He probably figured he could learn a lot from him while he was settling in and then replace him at some point, all the while training with nearly a full roster of international level talent. One part of that plan didn't quite work out, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion when he got there.

9. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I watched almost every game Freddy played for DCU and except for his first year, I don't recall him getting pushed off the ball even by the goons that inhabit MLS. Sure, he can't channel Brian McBride and hold off some immense center back, but suren't no one really expects him to do that.

Well, maybe they do . . .and leap tall buildings in a single bound. Freddy is clearly one of the best American players of his generation, and, at 19, already among the 15-18 best American players. On the other hand, very few Americans, other than goalkeepers, have been huge successes in Europe. McBride and Lewis had nice careers in England, but with second tier clubs. So what are reasonable expectations for Adu? or Bradley? or other young Americans in Europe or apparently on their way? Hard to say. Professional soccer is a tough career path, without being from a foreign land that isn't known for good soccer players.

It isn't hard to say that some of the expectations being tossed around are ridiculous. If Freddy settled in at a second division club in England or a team in Holland and had a career like McBride's, would he be an awful failure? I don't think so, but apparently there are lots of folks out there who think so. Freddy deserves a lot of credit for aiming high and taking the risk of going to Europe. It's silly to carp at him because he wants to do well and play with a big time team.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Couldn't agree more.

If you have the mentality to succeed, you can walk into any situation and make it work, even if it's a shithole. As long as you have the desire and the will to succeed and be the best, you will find a way to come out on top.

You can never walk into a PERFECT job or team. You just have to adapt and make the best of it. And I don't think up to this point, Adu is showing that he's capable.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    With all the hype and talents surrounding Adu, a reasonable expectation for Adu would be on a CL team and able to get off the bench in meaningful games (a la Jozy).

At this point, it seems that Jozy will surpass Adu in the next year. I will not be surpise to see Jozy get off the bench consistently, or even start a few games, for Villareal next season while Adu still unable to find consistent sub minutes.

12. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right On.

I love this talk of

He needs to play in 4-3-3 system or a 4-2-1-2
    He needs to have reserve squad
    He needs a coach that will give him a free role.
    He needs to be in Holland.

I think he's a great player but as smokar says he's got to man up. If it means working on your d then thats what has to be done.

I think Ricardo is a poor coach and I know this is a bad situation for freddy to be in, but it's only a loan deal and if he can get in the side regardless of how well or poor he plays, he'll be getting much needed experience playing with the big boys.

13. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The fact of the matter is that when Adu plays, whether for Monaco or Benfica (or the US national team). He almost always looks like the best player on the field. Whether it's against PSG, or the Spanish national team. Why is he not getting playing time, I have no idea. I would also wager that he has no idea either. But the work he has been doing has paid off in the sense that he outclasses bona fide super stars when he steps on the field. he just doesn't get minutes to do it all the time.

let's also be honest in that I don't think its ever happened before in Football history that a player ia able to consistantly embrass the defenses of teams such as Spain, Argentina, Holand Brazil. And not been able to get off the bench for significant minutes on a crappy team. it truly is unprecedented.

In addition, it's unprecedented for a player to play so consistantly well, and consistantly better than his peers, and still not get off the bench for significant minutes. Right now the situation is, when Adu gets minutes for the U.S. national team(where he gets more minutes than with his club teams) he outshines the best in the world. When he gets limited minutes for his club teams he plays extremely well, often without enough time to make a huge impact, but in his limited minutes he shows his ability. It is clearly not a question of performance during games, and is also, again, truly unprecedented.

14. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    While I agree that Adu is certainly extraordinarily gifted, I think some of you are reading a bit much into the Spain friendly. The US and Freddy especially performed to a high standard against top class opposition, but after seeing the Spaniards not bothering to maintain possession and practically strolling around the pitch at certain points in the game, I can't help but think they didn't give a crap about the game.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You must have erased those memories.

I specifically recall last season's RSL-Chicago game, where CJ Brown tossed him like a rag doll.

16. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I am confused. On the one hand, you say that it's reasonable to expect Freddy to get off the bench in meaningful games, but, on the other hand, you don't expect him to do that. What are you trying to say?

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

a) Speaking of strawmen, I never said he was slow.
    b) The phrase "changing the subject" implies that you get to decide there's only one subject that can be discussed, and you get to decide what it is. I assure you, you're not that important. :rolleyes:

18. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the best thing to do is compare Freddy to someone like the Crew's Guille Schelleto since they playing roughly the same position. Neither are particularly fast. About the same size.Both have good foot quickness.

I am not sure what GBS was like at Freddy's age. But now, you have an old player who has good vision, makes the players around him better (Rogers, Moreno, Gaven) by his use of space. Pretty tough to move off the ball. Plays decent defense when asked.

Freddy is does not have that yet. he is a young kid who has been pumped by his handlers for years and tends to play a "me first" style of play. Best thing Freddy could do would be to mentor with a GBS kind of player.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Schelotto had a really good pace when he was younger and often played wide.

I assume he's been a quality diver since his youth too.

Now, Sigi is using him more in the middle with Robbie (as you well know) and Eddie Gaven playing on the wings.

The trio could probably be even more successful if they had someone with more pace on top. Moreno's not fast enough to be released into a gap and has to play more of a lead/holding role.

BTW, I doubt if there's an MLS player slower than Blanco (or a coach slower than Blanco, aside of Sigi Schmid) but Temoc still manages to be effective.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Well, those looked like minutes against Nice. I didn't see to many torching runs.

And hopefully he gets minutes against Rennes, because if he can't blow past Bocanegra, he can't beat my Grandma ... and she's pretty much dead.

I like Freddy, but as with Benny F. and others, at some point you reach a critical mass of coaches where you can't say "they are all idiots." Ricardo may not be Capello, but he doesn't want to lose either.

If Freddy is as good as we think he will get handed the bilge pump on this sinking ship at some point, with this captain or a new one.

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He got minutes against PSG with much of the first team, and much of last year's first team. He didn't look like Messi but he certaintly looked like he should be starting. That's more telling to me than the 8 or so minutes he keeps receiving in league matches.

22. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Interviewed a couple engineers last week.

The first one got rated 6 out of 10. He rates himself as 6.
    The second got rated 7 out of 10. He rates himself as 10.

The first one got hired.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just might be that his coaches have doubts about his ability to play 90 minutes (effectively) hence their reluctance to start him. It is one thing to
    look good when subbed in during the last 15 - 20 minutes of a match. It is entirely another to look good during the last 15 - 20 minutes of a match as a starter.

24. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    How is Freddy doing at Monaco?

He has 6 appearances for 121 minutes, more appearances than 19 other players on the roster (Monaco has a total of 34), more minutes than 16 other players. Among the seven attacking players listed, he has the fourth most minutes.

Like many teams Monaco's roster seems to be divided into three categories: [1] more or less regulars (eight players have played more than 450 minutes (in 10 games); 14 have played more than 200 minutes) ( I think it speaks to Monaco's poor play that this group is not smaller. The coach has not settled on a starting team, apparently,)
    [2] The would-be or could-be starters (players who have been on the pitch for at least a few minutes) (Freddy seems to fit in here.)
    [3] The warm bodies.

Among the forwards, one (Nimani) has appeared in every game. Two others (Park and Pino) have shared most of the rest of the playing time. Freddy and Bakar and seen the pitch; two others have not.

Freddy is only slightly younger than the rest. Park was born in '85; the rest in '87, '88, and '89. Freddy is the same size (height and weight) as Pino, slightly smaller than Park and much smaller than Nimani.

Half empty or half full?

25. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So what is it that separates Freddy's qualitiesfrom Blanco and Guiile?