Adu - Making the WC Squad Good or Bad for Freddy?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JRstriker12, Jan 3, 2006.

1. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Connolly from MLSnet: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060102&content_id=49872&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Fulfilled potential by Freddy Adu. Is this the year he explodes? Personally, I think the best thing for him is to NOT make the World Cup team. He needs another full year of professional soccer. Last year, he missed out by playing abroad with the U-20s and having a late-season fallout with the team.

If and that's a big "IF" Freddy makes the WC squad, do you think that would hinder or help his play in MLS with DCU? Connelly thinks it would be best if he did not.

While I would love to see Freddy on the WC roster, I find myself reluctantly agreeing with Connolly. I think this camp could do Freddy some good, but I think making the WC roster could have the danger of Freezing Adu's development. I'd like to see a hungry Adu this season, rather than, an Adu who found that his past level of performance was good enough to get him to the WC, when we know he has potential to do much more.

I want to see more than a little flash of brilliance here and there. Adu must dedicate himself to be a great player week in and week out. I wonder if he'll have that drive if he knows he can get to the WC without having to perform up to that standard?

Anyway, it's all speculation, but heck, it's the off-season.

What do you think?

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say Freddy makes the WC team and maybe even logs a few minutes in Germany. Then he returns to DC United and---sits. He's still behind Gomez for A-mid; still not an automatic starter up front with Moreno (especially if Esky returns); still not necessarily the best choice at left wing in a 3-5-2.... Can you imagine the blowup? It will make last year's snit look like nothing.

3. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it would be best if he didn't make the WC squad, and he won't make it.

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    To me it all comes down to whether he deserves to be on the WC team

Bruce and staff need to make that decision

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'm confused. How does your answer address the question, namely, "IF Freddy were to make the WC roster, would that be good for him (and his development) or not?"

Not trying to be snide, but there must be something behind your response.

6. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I wanted to be diplomatic.....I mean saying he shouldn't play in the WC makes little sense. Because it's presuming-before the facts are known-that he wouldn't be good enough to contribute, or mature enough to handle it, or it would hinder his development.

Say Freddy's good enough. Why shouldn't he play? He would add to the US' chances of doing well in the WC. And he obviously wants to play in the WC very badly. I find it hard to believe playing in a WC is bad for a kid's development IF he is good enough to play with the "big boys".

On the other hand, if Freddy isn't good enough, don't put him on the team. He could be embarrassed in the WC. H could lose time developing w/DC United. And having him on the roster would take away from another player's development in the WC, and it hurts the US' chances in the WC.

In the end it's Bruce that needs to make the determination, and Freddy who needs to provide the evidence, that Freddy deserves to be on the team. To say no ahead of time is a huge disservice to Freddy, who I think would be very offended to be told he can't even try out. I bet you he's very EXCITED to have the chance to show what he can do, and that's the kind of excitement that I think is good for a kid-he's focusing on his soccer and not sitting at home pouting doing drugs playing video games or going after you-know-what or whatever else teenagers do these days :D

In summary, keep an open mind w/Freddy.

There's your more thorough answer :D

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Thanks. That makes sense.

I think doing well enough to get on the team will mean that he has improved (and that is therefore good for him.)

On the other hand, NOT making the team might benefit him as well. If he understands that he was given a fair opportunity to make the team and doesn't get selected, then he should take that as a challenge to make himself better.

Either way (depending upon his response to events) would be good for him and for DCU.

8. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Absolutely.

I think not making the WC team would make Freddy focus on DC more, and making the WC team would have him focus on the WC more.

Which is why it's critical for Bruce to make the right decision, and nobody to my knowledge on this board doesn't trust Bruce to make that decision. I think keeping Freddy focused in the right direction is very important. JMO

9. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I'm not sure that making the World Cup squad would be bad for Freddy. He gets exposure and experience (on paper at least). This vaults him into a position where he is more visible to European clubs...which is exactly what I would think that he and his agent want.

Now, whether or not this is all good for DCU, the fans, and American soccer...well, that's debatable.

10. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Absolutely.

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is good enough that Bruce thinks he can be an asset for the US in the World Cup that is all that matters. You don't turn down a chance to play in the World Cup so that you can focus on your club. That is asinine.

Bruce has always had the ability to see skills and ability in players that most of us wouldn't look at twice. Brian Carrol on the National Team? He works his tail off for DC, but do you think any other coach would let him paint lines on the field for a national team? Bruce sees something in all of his players that fit a greater need. If Freddy fits that need, fantastic, if not, at least he will have been given a real chance to prove himself.

james

12. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Because he isn't visible enough with interest from Chelsea, ManU, Inter Milan or AC Milan or both, if you believe the newspapers. I think his visibility is fine, it could only get better if he plays really well and that's the big if right now. Would it benefit him to be the 23rd player who doesn't get a minute of playing time? vs. The playing time he'll get with DCU during that time? I think that's the million dollar question. Now if he is more like the 15th player in the depth chart and gets playing time in every game and does well then the answer is clearly it is good to make the WC squad. Right now however I would think that you would have compare the worst case scenario of making the team vs. not making the team.

13. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Playing at the highest possible level will only help him develop his game further. Learning a few tricks from more experienced cats can only help. And if, god forbid, he gets on the team, playing at a WC level will only help him realize how much further he has to go to become the complete professional he can hopefully be. I'm sure he'll come back to DCU with motivation aplenty, regardless of how far he makes it in this process.

When is Il Bruce expected to make some cuts? I'd love to see our boy get some time in at least 1 friendly.

14. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    First friendly is on Jan. 22. I would think a week or so ahead of time the game day roster will be released. With three friendlies scheudle in about a month's time, I would expect every player that was invited to camp to get on at least 1 game day roster, barring injury, and probably get at least a few minutes.

15. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cart = Adu in the WC, Horse = his development as a soccer player.

If we see his cart in the WC, then I can say we've got ourselves some horsepower. It would mean to me that he has developed well enough to start for DC.

16. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    If he makes the MNT, then I have to agree with others that Bruce has seen something worthwhile and i'll trust in that as he has yet to give us a reason not to.

If he doesn't, I hope Bruce takes the time (which I believe he will if he believes Freddy could one day be a force for the MNT) to explain to him why he isn't going to Germany.

If he goes, gets some time, and then sits on the bench when he gets back, it could get ugly. But he could just as easily progress a lot between now and then and could possibly oust one of the expected starters.

If he stays and does not get an explanation (i.e. these are the things you need to continue to develop) from Bruce, then I would expect to see him continue to flounder on the bench and progress little over the season with maybe another fit at the end of the season. If he does get the talk from Bruce, I think he might progress well this season.

My money says that Bruce is having his look, but Freddy won't see any time in the friendlies (if he isn't sent home early). I also think that Bruce will take the time to explain to Freddy what he expects to see out of him game in and game out if he wants to be a regular on the team. I think the season will be rocky for him, but he will progress at a good rate and could be starting in place of Gomez or Moreno by the end of the season (I think their fitness issues will help him in this (especially Moreno)).

-dave

17. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Kind of related, I've been assured that Freddy will soon end his mini media strike. He will begin speaking with the press and granting interview requests in the near future.

18. usfooty7

usfooty7 New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Interesting - I see Freddy shining as a foward in the future, as opposed to a midfielder. Until my beloved Moreno has retired from DCU however, a lefty forward position is unlikely for Fred. Why a forward? He traps the ball well, turns, and seemingly makes space out of nothing and strikes. He has a stunning foot, and can shoot at speed and in almost no space. Kinda like Moreno :)

19. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    he did an interview with the portugese press after then Ronaldo Zidane Charity Match

http://www.ojogo.pt/21-311/artigo520711.htm

20. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    :confused: Can someone provide a translation for the ventilators?

21. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Actually that's why I think A-Mid seems to be his best position. I see a lot of Etch qualities in him (in the OMG that was incredible arena), but he still needs to develop a better sense of the game so that he can use those skills to change a game.

I do agree that as long as Moreno still puts on this boots, he'll be a contender at forward. I just think (after watching him last season) that he age is starting to catch up with him. Yes we will have fewer games this year, but assuming there are no injuries to limit his playing time I expect him to be slowing down somewhere towards the begining of the last third of the season. If Gomez doesn't address his fitness issues I think he will be in a similar position. That's the time I think Freddy can make his move to become a regular starter in one of the two positions.

-dave

22. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    babelfish

put the link in the "Translate a Web Page" box and select "Portuguese to English". it's not perfect (for instance it translates Bruce Arena to Bruce Enclosure) but it is sufficient unless someone who speaks portuguese comes along who can do it for real.

23. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    "Bruce Enclosure" is too funny; any way we can make this his permanent nickname? (Actually, if you just give babelfish "Bruce Arena", Portuguese to English", it says "Bruce Enclosure for Bullfighting...")

24. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    If Adu makes the WC squad it would be great for both him and DC. It woudl mean that he has really stepped up and began to dominate. Bruce is not going to take him to take him so if he goes to the WC its b/c he is lighting it up - and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

However, perhaps he is named Captain for Life of the USMNT and is then subsequently cut - he could come back and play inspired ball (called John Harkes syndrome) and light the league on fire all while flipping off Steve Sampson (oops I mean Bruce Arena).

25. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brushes Sands already with the title.