Adu Leads U.S. U-17 MNT Over Poland 3-2

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by IMOX77, Oct 30, 2003.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Freddy Adu scored all three goals for the U.S. to lead the U.S. Under-17 Men's National Team over Poland 3-2 in their second game of the Val de Marne Tournament in France. Adu started the U.S. off quickly, snagging his first goal in the eighth minute off a pass from fellow starting forward Quavas Kirk. Poland found the equalizer in the 28th minute, but Adu struck right back two minutes later placing one into the back of the net off a service from midfielder Dax McCarty. In the second half, Adu completed his hat trick, scoring in the 57th minute.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=45841

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work, Freddy. By the way, did you see the US roster? Who are all these kids? I figured it would be a similar squad to the one that played in Finland, but besides Szetela and Adu, they were all different. Did they all turn 18 or something?

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most of those guys are in college or on pro teams. These guys are younger, but some of them are still too old for the next u-17 cycle. I know kirk and adu are 2 of the young ones.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Good result...too bad we won't be seeing any video clips.

5. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Freddy needs to score against a major power now. France would do.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally we have a team that won a match in France! :)

7. GLYM3

GLYM3 New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    The team in France is made up mostly of 87's in residency. Adu, Sandbo, Szetela and Valentin were on the recent U17 World Championship team that competed in Finland. I beleive there are a couple of 88's from residency and the remaining players are 87's that were in residency last year or new 87's in residency program this year.

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Soroka, Kirk and Edgar are the 88s on the trip. These 87s are finishing their schooling so the Fed does well to give them a chance to play competitively through the year as they continue to train.

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rogers?

An interesting issue is why Robbie Rogers is not getting much playing time in France-is he injured or is it payback for electing to play in the adult PDL and train with J. Klinnsman instead of returning to Brandenton?Odd.

10. Dfuntime

Dfuntime New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    California
    You know it has to be either injury or payback, and last I knew he wasn't hurt. Can he help? Well, the Japan U-20 team beat the US U-20 team this month at Home Depot, and the Blue Star club then went on to play Japan to a 5-5 result, with Robbie coming in the game late and getting a goal. Go figure. He's very dangerous, unless he's not on the pitch.

11. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US loses to France 2-0

It will be interesting to see who played in the final. The defense is obviously not working, nor is the strategy of feeding the ball to Adu and hoping he will score.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: US loses to France 2-0

where did you find the score?

13. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.fff.fr/selections/m17ans/71709.shtml
    GOOGLE TRANSLATION:

France gains the Tournament of the Valley-of-Marne!

The national selection of less than 17 years faced the Saturday United States in the Bonneuil-on-Marne, for the third and last match of the Tournament of the Valley-of-Marne. After two successes vis-a-vis in Poland (5-0) and Japan (2-0), the players taken along by Philippe Bergeroo asserted themselves once again (2-0).

With the pause, the two formations were always with equality at the end of a first balanced period. After the rest, the French opened the mark by Flavien Berson. The medium of ground of the FC Metz benefitted from an honest blow of Maxime Josse to control the ball of the chest before connecting a resumption of victorious flight to bearing end (1-0).

With the 75ème minute, been useful well by the Lyonese Hatem Ben Arfa (photo), the Marseillais Samir Nasri (photo above) gained his duel vis-a-vis the American goalkeeper and thus doubled the mark (2-0). Thanks to this new victory, the Blue ones of Philippe Bergeroo allocate the edition 2003 of the Tournament of the Valley-of-Marne. A success of good forecasts before the final phase of the Championship of Europe in League of the Center next May.

For their part, the Americans had before beaten Poland (3-2), after having inclined themselves vis-a-vis in Japan (0-2). In the other meets day, Poland came to end from Japan (2-1).

14. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Re: rogers?

if they wanted to "pay him back" why would they take him on the trip at all?

I don't think Robbie staying in SoCal hurts anybody.

15. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rogers

It is strange when one of the top teens in the US sits on the bench-especially when the US team is struggling on offense.

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is unexplicably inbelievable. Fire coaches all.

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I'll see if I can find out. I'm a fan of his.

I think his decision to play in SoCal will prove to be progressive. Especially as more clubs step up to the table with full-time development, you'll see more and more of this.

18. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers

I have seen tape on him and was very surprised by the limited playing time judging from his talent Something is up.

Brandenton is a great opportunity for our US players. However, when opportunity dictates one of these great players should seize it without negative consequences.

19. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Could it not be simply that, considering this is the first time many of these players have been playing together, Ellinger wanted to get a look at a number of different player combinations?

Although some of the posters here seem convinced that even the U-17 team needs to win every game above all else, there's obviously other concerns here. We've got a number of promising forwards on this team, and I'm sure Ellinger wants to get a look at all of them before deciding who will get to play alongside Freddy.

20. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Nope. Massive conspiracy.

21. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    My bad.

22. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Ellinger

Did John Ellinger make the trip to France or did he stay in Florida?

John Hackworth is listed as the coach on the French Federation site. Hackworth also coached this team ('87) in England this summer.

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joking?

Testing talent in the middle of an international tornie? Come on! Rogers is extremely fast, has outstanding balls skills and is left and right footed. He is not a pure forward, has good playmaking skills. He plays midfield and forward positions.

Freddy on the otherhand is a pure forward/speed and finish. His talent is finishing not playmaking. Better chemistry????

Test talent on a home game with one of the local colleges. Put your top players on the field in an International tournament and win the thing!

I assume Hackworth is connected with Brandenton.I assume England was before Rogers left Brandenton.

I will be magnimous and give Brandenton the benefit of the doubt. The kid must have been injured or J. Klinnsman does not know how to judge talent.

24. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Why would he worry about who'll get to play alongside Freddy? Freddy is just biding his time, finishing school, until he goes pro next year. Ellinger will be looking for who replaces Adu.

25. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Re: Ellinger

Hackworth and Peter M. took the squad over. Ellinger stayed to work with the 88s.