Adu for EJ, Altidore for TT

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Brandon313, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    The official ditch Eddie Johnson and Taylor Twellman thread. Until these guys can prove they can play with an international team....they need to be left at home. They are both great MLS strikers, but nothing more at the moment.

As long as we are in the mood of bringing up young players and trying to assimilate them early, might as well bring up our two young starlets who seem to be our only hope for a somewhat successful attack...I thought with Bradley taking over, he would bring these two up.

Maybe he is waiting to see how they show at the U-20 WC....ill tell you though, the future is bleak for the current American strikers. They bring nothing to the table right now

2. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oye, U-20 WC is more important for Adu and Altidore than Copa. I welcome Johnson and Twellman on the Copa team because they need to breakout internationally, and they need the experience. And if they can't hang at an international level, this is the time to find out; not 2010.

3. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ and TT = wastes of time... everyone knows in the back of their minds that these guys don't have what it takes to be taken seriously on the world stage. We're not waiting for their breakout game. :rolleyes:

I would much rather have seen the only future bright spots up front, Jozy and Adu, get a run out in the copa america. It would be nice to see them work with guys like mapp, feilhaber, clark, beckerman etc.

4. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ
    How can they prove they can play with an international team if they're to be left home? :confused:

5. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

They're in the U-20 World Cup roster going on as we speak in Canada. They're already getting experience in a major international tourney.

6. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC

Because they already have shown that they cannot do that....EJ had before the Gold cup to the present, and Twellman has had the Gold cup and a little before....I say give up on EJ all together, he has already had two stints with the NT...and he has blown both of them. TT might have a shot if they work with him, but not likely.

I say, after the U-20 WC bring up the young guys and get them into the mix

7. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so U-20 is better than copa america??? :eek:

8. gfranc79

gfranc79 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    NYC
    Adu is overrated so far. Let him compete in U20. Altidore shows more promise, but still hasnt broken out in RBNY. Give them some time. TT and EJ need to step it up, they havent lived to the hype at the international stage.

9. Kodak Jackson

Kodak Jackson Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Johann Smith?

10. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout Gabe Ferrari? The only (non-traitor) American in Serie A.

11. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see Stephen Hawking up front than Johnson's worthless a$$.

12. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he is smarter, I'll give U that...

13. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is injured

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Twellman is approaching the point of no return, EJ is worth keeping in the mix.

As for teenage bench players (Altidore) or struggling starters (Adu), no I don't think they would be the answer against world-class Argentinians. You like how Eddie Gaven looked?

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Adu and Altidore, hell yeah. They're good, but need to become great, and that takes training. I'd rather Adu and Altidore go to USMNT at the top of their game, than Adu and Altidore to re-enact Johnson/Twellman against Argentina at Copa America all over again.

And if I were Bradley, I'd want as many Americans getting international experience as possible. Right now, that means Johnson, Twellman, Adu, AND Altidore are all gaining that this month. All of them, living in America, need to get better outside the states to give Bradley more options for 2010. And I think we all agree that World Cup 2010 is much more important than U-20 World Cup AND Copa America.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Adu is not a striker

17. quakesforever07

quakesforever07 New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Cali
    I think EJ did pretty well against Argentina and seemed to lead the pack from the front. I'd like to see a little more movement out of him though. I think Eddie is better than Freddy, but replacing TT with Altidore might not be a bad idea. Taylor didn't seem to do anything against Argentina last night, and it's sorta becoming a pattern that has gone through Gold Cup games as well. I think Bob should consider his options, which I'm sure he already has, and play who he sees fits best.

18. ravenshroud

ravenshroud New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    How can you want to get rid of TT? Every time they put someone with him who ALSO can pass, such as Brian Ching, the offense looks great.

EJ can't pass, Beasely can't pass, Dempsey can pass, he just doesn't. TT and Ching until you find someone better.

19. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    this is a stupid thread, adu is a midfielder, and both players are better off playing in the u-20 considering they are both only 17 years old. you don't see alexander pato of brazil playing for copa, he's on the u-20 team, and chelsea want to sign him for over 10 mil euros. let them play with their own age group, it doesn't seem like they are dominating the competition even at the u-20 level.

20. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Without a doubt, the future of the US attacking core is at the u-20 world cup. Adu as an attacking mid and altidore, robbie rogers, johan smith, and Gabe Ferrari as strikers. That's a potentially pretty potent lot who will all be in the mix for 2010. As of now, let them play in the u-20 cup. I will say though that I think EJ still has potential. Frankly he just looks tentative out there. Twellman is simply useless. Can't win a ball, can't take anyone off the dribble,. can't pass. EJ is also still only 23. Twellman is 27 and will be 30 by the time 2010 comes. I do strongly believe though that come 2010, Bradley will be starting donovan ans a withdrawn striker and altidore will be with him up top. If not altidore, maybe ferrari. However, I don't think it will be anyone from the current men's team. What's nice is that come 2010, there will be some major competition for spots. It shows how much depth the US is sttarting to have. If you look in midfield at the possible names: Adu, Convey, Beasley, Dempsey, Bradley, Feilhaber, Clark, Mapp, Szetela, Mccarty, Klejstan, and Nguyen. In addition, you can also add the possibilities of Akpan and Zizzo as college guys taht could develop. Arguez might be another middie option as well. All in all, this is a transistional period and this u-20 team could really have a huge impact on the look of our 2010 team.

21. AreYouNuts

AreYouNuts New Member

May 28, 2007
    Adu would have gotten chewed up in this tournament.

22. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Eddie Johnson is more than capable of dribbing into 3 defenders and losing the ball or of sending a cross into the 10th row.

Freddy will just have to wait his turn to do all those things.

23. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let Altidore and Adu shine tommorow in the u-20 world cup, then they will get their chance with the MNT.

24. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    Twellman should never put on a USMNT jersey ever again. Seriously, i'd rather have a 37 year old McBride playing in 2010 than Taylor Twellman. Twellman can't score a goal in an important game. He just cannot do it. he can't. it's not in him.

EJ on the other hand just needs to have someone get into his ass. he looks like he could be dangerous, but as soon as he sees the goal, he gets scared. honestly, i don't think i've ever seen a player with so little confidence in my life.

25. skaman

skaman Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Let Altidore have a shot. Adu is overrated. Twellman is way past done. At least EJ runs in space. Can't do a lick with the ball but maybe he'll get lucky and an overzealous defender will foul him.