Adu: Beleneses v. Olhanense 10/23

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Adiaga Two, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 in the PM, I'm pretty sure.

I've never heard of this Olhananarama club. If Freddy can't get some minutes in against them, then we know it's gonna take a lot of injuries for him to get anywhere near the playing time he needs to go to South Africa

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olhanense are a newly promoted club and can call on the services of the widely renowned Juan Martin Pietravallo in midfield.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pietravallo plays in this and Freddy doesn't, the folks who claim there is a bias against American players in Europe will suddenly have been given an awful lot of ammunition.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Projected lineups:

[​IMG]

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    is this a league game?

6. bolotoliko

bolotoliko New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    yes it is

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Check it out. Pele can't even crack the starting eleven.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    but, in fairness, he is 65.

9. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007
    How about we just root for Freddy to get in the game and take it from there.

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dat.

11. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing, mom.

12. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    They play for different clubs.

Just because a Dominican can crack the KC Royals lineup but a Puerto Rican can't crack the Chicago White Sox lineup doesn't mean that there's a bias against Puerto Ricans in American baseball.

13. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a Mongolian would have much trouble cracking the Royals' lineup.

14. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no bias in your analogy. Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Dominicans are sought after by all the big league teams. They have a good reputation...

In European club soccer it's almost the exact opposite. Americans have a negative reputation in general, though it is changing and is not the same everywhere (Fulham, Scandinavia and a few others), and we've had some bright spots (Reyna, McBride, Deuce, Bradley, Gooch, etc). To say there is no bias is just plain ignorant, but to play the bias card everytime is as well...

With Adu, he's probably experienced a bias by some of the coaches, disinterest by others, and desire by a few. Hopefully his current coach is in the latter category...

Go Cubbies ;)

15. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA

And you know this . . . how?

PS Go Cards! (101 years and counting . . .)

16. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, foreign teams are willing to sign good American players. They're willing to sign any good player regardless of passport. Americans have a negative reputation because most of them aren't as talented as you need to be to play football at that level. It depends on the situation.

There's been quite a few American players who had no business playing in a top European league (Hejduk, Wolff, Johnson, Bradley at first, Casey) who were given chances and accordingly sank or swam. Europeans are not biased against Americans. They sure as hell are biased against third-rate players.

17. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. You are right. But how do YOU know there isn't?

Yes I agree it depends on the situation. That is what I was getting at. You are also right in stating most yanks don't have the necessary skillset that other players develop sooner. This creates a bias against American players in general, but is not definate. But you can be sure that someone who is examining two players, one a yank the other from x country, is going to have that bias attitude somewhere in the back of their mind whether it be a microscopic amount or a big tatoo on the forehead that states "I don't like yanks", and while both players may be exactly alike the yank will be at a disadvantage because of it.

ADU's case makes it even harder for him because he was marketed as such a phenomenon...

This general attitude can be sensed and seen to anyone who will open their eyes and ears. Listen to commentators, fans, teammates, etc. Their is a bias for certain coaches, players, etc. It is just the way it is. We have opened a lot of eyes since 2002, and even this year, but it will be sometime before we completely wipe out that bias.
    I'm not saying it's like this everywhere or even in most places, but it does exist and I play with immigrants every week and can see it and hear it.

If you can't see it or choose to believe it doesn't exist than I just don't know what to say...

Oh and I do agree about the Euro flops you mentioned...

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a room.

19. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It is not up to him to prove something doesn't exist. It is up to you to prove that it does.

Far more important, does anyone have a stream for this match?

20. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...that is what the rest of my post was about :rolleyes:
    And if he can call me out to prove that it does, than I can call him out to prove to me why it doesn't. You sound like my ignorant philosophy teacher, but i'm sure you are much more intelligent and informed (not sarcasm).

Yes does anyone have a stream???

21. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I believe that people are selfish creatures who try to maximize their own benefit. Certainly, I'm quite certain the people who run top soccer teams are like that.

So to claim that there is unwarranted bias, you'll have to show that some coach/manager is going against his self-interest by playing a less talented non-American over a more talented American.

If the bias is warranted (ie, American players suck), then I don't know what you're going on about.

Again, my mind boggles at people who can flatly state there is no bias in major league baseball against players from certain countries yet can also state that there exists such biases in European soccer.

How are the incentives in European soccer any different from incentives in MLB?

22. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA

So your _proof_ is "This general attitude can be sensed"? Yeah. OK.

23. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elsewhere, people.

Starting lineups available?

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+