Adrian Simon Gill at FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by ShaftBrewer, May 27, 2018.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This user who is known to watch a lot of Barca youth footage rated Simons (?), Gill (?) in his La Masia Team of the Season. Still have never seen him play and he's still only 14, I think so no sense getting too excited for another few years.

2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup otherwise we have another Ben Lederman on our hands. Although he turned out mediocre for what happened.

3. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    not sure how this wasn’t posted here yet but high praise on simons

Gacm32 and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  4. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Extremely high praise. Is the author a reputable source, or just a random person? Either way, it’s great that he’s doing so well!

5. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    this guy one of the more knowledgeable la masia followers

PalmettoSpur and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  6. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    1378775517034389505 is not a valid tweet id

7. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    1382424576475471876 is not a valid tweet id

8. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piotr Guzinski, La Masia insider recently threw together a twitter thread on "the most interesting players from the 2006 La Masia class", which he calls "another great generation" and "one of the best in my opinion at the moment."

RE: Simons he has this to say: "One of the best midfielders in La Masia in my opinion. Very mature and intelligent. Great first contact with the ball, field overview, balance, technique. He also has a strong shot from a distance. This season, still without a goal, but has a few assists."

9. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    #34 run_it_out, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    He's now with Cadete B, which contains 2006's with one exception.

https://www.fcbarcelona.es/es/futbol/formativo-masculino/cadete-b/jugadores

It looks like Barcelona keeps the birth years together so that Cadete A = 2005, Cadete B = 2006, Infantil A = 2007, and Infantil B = 2008, almost without exception.

What I find really surprising is how strong the birth month effect is, where the older kids in each group are favored. I know this is a pretty well documented effect in youth sports, but I would have thought that La Masia would be smarter when adjusting for age in their evaluations. Maybe there's another reason for this that I'm missing?

Here are the number of players in either Cadete B, Infantil A, or Infantil B by birth month:

Jan-Mar: 43
    Apr-Jun: 16
    July-Sep: 7
    October: 2

There isn't a single November or December birth month listed on the roster for those three years currently at La Masia.

Edit to add that according to that roster, Adrian was born January 3, 2006. Lucky for him he wasn't born four days earlier.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  10. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    The only rational justification I can think of for the birth-month effect is that Barca figures there's at most one or two Iniesta's per birth year. These mini-Iniesta's are going to rise to the top anyway regardless of birth month, and you need to otherwise surround them with the best players of the age group, which are the older kids. Anyway, that's the best I can do, but it doesn't explain why the effect tends to carry over to the senior team as well.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  14. ogshortstufff

ogshortstufff Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Youth contract is up at the end of the year. Would have to think this promotion shows how much they value him.

ShortyMac and Winoman repped this.
  15. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca contract coming?

Quaker, sakibomb523, Peretz48 and 6 others repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  19. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Looks like he signed!

Should he get moved up to Yanks Abroad?

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is it? I was expecting more highlights for a whole season.

He reminds me of Aaronson. He doesn't possess a physical game, plays smart, looks for the easier, simpler forward pass. I think Aaronson's brother may be better than this kid, but this kid is just 16.

21. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah he still looks like a kid. We will have to wait and see how he develops on this front. At barely 16 he may still have a looong way to go with regards to his growth and muscle development.

22. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did anticipate and find good angles to ride guys off the ball defensively a couple times...but yeah, nothing on that that made me think of those vids of a young CP or either of the Aaronsons with their foot skills.

The thing that stood out the most to me is that Barca gave this kid the 8 or 10 jersey...and that's pretty cool.

LouisZ repped this.
  23. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    I saw that this guy actually had good play strength, especially for his current size (in particular, see the sequences at :20 and 1:10). Now these are select “highlights” which of course only tell part of the story, but those indicate that he’s willing to be aggressive and pretty skilled defensively despite being a bit underdeveloped with his frame. Wasn’t much evidence from that to say he was struggling with the physicality - maybe in full games it might be showing up more.

In addition, he’s very good in small spaces. His short area quickness is very good. Twitchy guy with an ability to create space and has good vision/anticipation. Not enough exposure from that cut-up to really judge overall attacking ability, but I’m sure there’s someone around here who’s watched more of him and probably has a good pulse on that. But he has some higher-level skills to work with. Overall technique doesn’t seem elite right now but is above average and projectable.

I think he projects well trait-wise from that cut-up, which is really what you’re looking for at that stage in a player’s development. I suspect that the video editor didn’t include all of his games or maybe he was hurt and missed some (and don’t have time to check right now), but regardless, production is far from the most important thing when a player is that young. Nice to have, but not as important as individual traits. I think he has some good ones to work with and we’ll see how he develops - as others said, still a ways to go and a lot can happen.

Winoman repped this.
  24. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything else you wrote- but that was something that popped to me as well. His ability to turn and the anticipation/understanding of when/where to do it and what the next options were popped to me a bit.

But again, my main take away is that Barca gave this kid the 8 and 10 jersey- not something they'd do lightly.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.