Adidas Thread [12] - Post info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost_striker

ghost_striker Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thank you so much for the kind offer, but in the end I decided to get a pair of AG boots, as I'll mostly be playing on turf now that the summer's gone:(

2. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    #1552 gusgorman, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
    Those are fakes.

3. bootking

bootking Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    SO I bought my first pair of World Cups. I got them off eBay as usual and I'm not sure they are genuine.
    They seem easy to counterfeit as they are so basic.
    Can you take a look at my pics and give me your expert views please?
    I know they are missing some studs, and one boot has replacement studs of a different type, please ignore this as I knew this when I bought them.

The things that bother me is:
    1) As you can see in the first photo, the size labels are different.
    2) The "adidas" lettering on the heel is more indented on the left boot, than on the right (pic 2)
    3) Each boot is laced up differently (see pic 3)
    4) The stitching on the "World Cup" tag is not straight (see pic 4)
    5) The silver "World Cup" writing is not perfect and goes across the stitching on the right boot (can be seen on the bottom boot in pic 5). Also, the gap from the stitching to the first stripe, is smaller on the left boot, than on the right. You can also see in this pic that the "adidas" lettering on the heel is more indented into the boot on the top (left boot) than on the bottom (right boot)
    6) As you can see on pic 6, the stitching on the boot on the right hand side of the picture (this is actually the left boot) goes from underneath the laces, directly under the stripe, whereas the other boot's stitching goes below the stripe.
    7) Pic 7 shows the size label on the back of the right tongue is coming off.

Are they fake? Or are they just 2 real boots which weren't actually a pair and have been put together?
    Your help will be much appreciated.

here's the pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/101018123@N07/

4. Mercurial4991

Mercurial4991 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look real to me, possibly just two different shoes that weren't in the same pair. Fakes don't really come out in SG form, and if they did I am sure they wouldn't have screw in studs.

bootking repped this.
  5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You got two shoes from wildly different batches made in 2007 and in 2003. You can tell the dates on the size labels, one says 02/07 and other says 03/03.

I doubt you would have a case with eBay, but it is worth a mention to them about what happened. If you need help on how to articulate the problem to eBay, PM me.

b0sk1 and bootking repped this.
  6. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irregularities seem to be a common problem with the Copa/WC. My most recent pair of Copas had very different leather overlays. Particularly the heel piece that wraps around and ends under the stripes. It drove me nuts. I think it's just part of the boots being at least partially hand made.

Makes me wonder how often this happens even when bought from actual retailers.

bootking repped this.
  7. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did anyone ever compare the synthetic adipowers (Ie the DB versions) to the regular adipowers? How do they compare it terms of sizing and comfort?

8. SymbolHazard

SymbolHazard Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I remember buying them last season thinking they would be a lot more durable than the leather versions. Although that turned out to be true (they're like indestructible), the comfort and touch of the ball is absolutely awful. I spent the whole season hoping they'd eventually break in and that I'd get used to the touch since I really wanted to like them, but it just didn't happen and I finally gave up on them recently. It's really not worth the extra durability if it's going to take away from your performance. Man, doing keepups with those shoes were felt so unnatural, such cheap synthetic

9. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the advice and review.Reason I asked is because like Dr boots, I wanted to stock up on Adipowers when I can. Just bought a pair the other day for £45, and theres a pair of synthetic on ebay today for around £40. But thanks for the heads up on saving my money! Can't wait to be reunited with the adipower. Best boots I have ever used bar none.

ColumbiaVanquish17 repped this.
  10. shrtysskat8

shrtysskat8 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Chicago
    I have used my adipowers a few more times since buying them and have been getting some stud pressure, more accurately in the front, along the outside. Is this pretty common before they fully break in or am I just shaped awkwardly?

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I sometimes get stud pressure their from my LZs. I think it might just be an Adidas thing to be honest with you. Once they break in they shouldn't be too bad.

appleCORR

12. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://www.footy-boots.com/football-boots-dangerous-to-players-36553/

intresting article,

My take on it is two built players hitting each other, thats it. I think Craig Johnston is talking crap, If you think how many teams water pitch's, what are we going to have last man standing while the other players slip around?

and for me the nike sg-pro sole look's a lot more dangerous then adidas's version.

what is it with rooney and football boot safety article/debates?

13. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the metal studs have much to do with it. As pointed out in the article, players have been wearing metal studs for decades. The only studs I've ever thought were unnecessarily dangerous are the ones on the more recent Vapor models. And those are plastic. They're just needlessly sharp. Looks like Rooney stuck his head in the danger zone and paid the price.

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Johnston is notorious for running off at the mouth. His boot cred died a long time ago with people in the know, but he still gets love as the "inventor" of the Pred. Never mind the fact that the idea of the shoe had been around for ages and Eagle had already produced a rubber zoned boot years before.

I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt. He is just looking for a moment in the sun at any cost.

15. shrtysskat8

shrtysskat8 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Not sure if that is true, I got no stud pressure at all with the LZ. I think it could be that LZ just fit my foot better..because they really did fit like a charm.

16. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    not sure if people aren't interested, or havent seen, but I'm selling a couple pairs of the original Adizero in leather in the swapshop. Would like to sell them this week before uni starts.

17. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Soccer.com released a new Adidas Predator SL colorway:
    [​IMG]

Pretty neat, so is the price, going at $249.99 :eek:

18. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Hi people,

Would quite like some advice about my copas. I've only worn them 4 times, and on Sunday someone trod on my foot during the game and they split. I bought them from Sports Direct in the UK, i've still got the box but can't find the receipt, although I can probably find my bank statement from the month when I made the purchase.

Do you think I am entitled to a replacement pair? (Sorry about the poor quality image).

[​IMG]

19. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can try ....

But to be hones that isn't a fault of Adidas (thats the main reason they give a refund if its classed as a manufacturing fault) - that's classed as wear and tear, its just an unfortunate thing thats happened so close to you getting the boots. Someone trod on them. Thats what caused the damage the rip didn't appear on it's own or its not like the sole has started to come away. I think you'll be lucky the get any sort of refund especially from Sports Direct as they don't give refunds easily.

If you do decide to try and get a refund - You will need the box, and the receipt with Sports Direct. They also don't refund you. They only offer you an exchange or a credit note. I brought a match ball from there last year which turned out to have a faulty valve (it was £50) they had none to replace it with and said i could just have a credit note. They agreed that the valve was faulty so i fought my corner and got a cash refund. It wasn't easy though.

I'm sure other members will agree - that sadly there isn't much you can do.

appleCORR

20. super_kwak

super_kwak Member

Jul 4, 2013
    England
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Really doubt you are entitled to another pair, you admit they split because someone trod on you?! Hence if they hadn't trod on you they wouldn't have split. Hardly a manufacturing fault!

They are football boots, its gutting when you see your £80 getting broken but its not the end of the world.

21. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    I wasn't saying it was a manufacturing fault! Just wondered what my position was.
    True - because I'm not broke - if I was, then I'd be a bit more gutted :) Whoever it was must have been wearing pretty sharp metal studs on a fairly hard pitch!

Anyway - thanks both of you for your replies, I guess I'll just get as much use out of them as I can until they fall apart.

Actually, this brings me onto another question. What size do people wear their copas in? I'm a UK 8 (US9), but because of the weird adidas UK sizing I usually wear UK 8.5 (still US9) in adidas, but with the copas I stuck at UK 8 (US 8.5) because I knew they would stretch nicely. (a bit confusing, hope this makes sense!)

However - having worn them a few times, I am happy with them, but wondering whether I could have got away with going another half a size down. Its a personal taste thing I know, but just wondered whether anyone else goes down a whole size?

Thanks again.

22. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The boot did its job and protected your foot. A valiant boot that.

23. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Yep thats a very good point!

24. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most people wear a size or half a size down in Copa's to allow the leather to mould to your feet the best they can. I didn't really have that choice as i'm a size 6 they fitted my foot when I got mine and then were a little bit 'baggy' if that makes any sense. Still great boots. They just fell apart in the end!

appleCORR