Adidas Thread [12] - Post info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    I'm so tempted to get the new colorway (blue/orange) of the LZs (JR version 1st grade) and the new adizeros. Sucks to be broke.

2. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was unconvinced by the LZ II on my foot, I didn't care for the fit too much, but I am willing to try them on again and see what I think.

As I have become more active my LZ I are feeling less stellar to me in terms performance. They just seem too stiff (and they were worn a good bit while I was hurt by a player I coach), and the shape isn't as accommodating as I had hoped. I really have trouble striking the ball in them because they feel so awkward.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think there's always been a file size limit if you post it as an attachment. If you link to an external image then there is no limit.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ahhhhhh gotcha.

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Holden is correct...and I had trouble getting the image upload to an outside host via my iPad for some reason.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Imageshack has a great app that ties to an imageshack account. Look it up! It's awesome and very userfriendly for the ipad.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  7. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll check it out...I honestly don't put a lot of pics online, so I never bothered to look into that option.

8. RoscoTayls

RoscoTayls Member

Sep 23, 2012
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Taken from @bitman16's video posted in the Player Spotting thread, some Vapor-esc studs on one of the German national team players Nitrocharge's

Attached Files:

9. Elbullio

Elbullio Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I would say that the LZ 2's are a fair amount softer than the LZ 1's after just a couple of sessions. Also, the removal of the memory foam on the instep on the 2's allow much more of the upper to form to your feet. AppleCORR7 is also very fond of hers, i believe.

Shooting wise - the LZs are outstanding once you get used to the rubber elements. Driving and curling the ball is a real pleasure. I think you ought to give them a second chance :)

10. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    If they were worn alot by someone else, surely it isn't that suprising that they don't feel good on you? They would have started to mold to the shape of the other players feet.

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do like my LZ2 yeah, they are a good boot like I've said many times, out the box they will feel small in toe area, but this gives over a few wears. To be honest I'm not sure if the upper is thinner or not, its the rubber elements that are thinner.

Shooting wise - to be honest thats the only time i feel the predator elements on the boots, i sometimes get an unexpected swerve on the ball and you realise its the rubber on the boots.

I just think that some boots suit some people and not others, you just have to give them a try and see what you think and then make your own choices.

appleCORR

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Gotcha. It's a great app.

I tend to take some pics directly from the ipad and post it up lol. It's perfect for that...especially my newer ipad with a pretty awesome camera.

13. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be clear, they didn't mold to his feet, just loosened up a bit; he didn't wear them long enough for that level of shaping to take place, which take way longer on synthetic than say, the Copa. They are still tight to my foot - presumably my foot is wider than his. My point is I don't like the general shape of the boot or the feel of synthetic. It feel like I am wearing tubes of PVC on my foot. The general shape of the last is not great compared to the F-50 in leather and the adiPower. I thought adidas was getting away from overly narrow toe boxes and forefoot shapes with their more recent designs but, the LZ I is a step backwards in that regard. I like the idea of the zones and their placement, but the upper just feel like crap after a while and that memory foam really is pointless.

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I played a bit in the adiZero leather yesterday at practice for the college....I like them a lot, but they are not without my nitpicks.

Pros:

The leather is easily the best version of the calfskin used on the adiZero, very soft, but seems like it will hold shape after molding. It is a step above the adiPower leather, which I like very much.

The fit is great - for me - I have a need for a wider forefoot - especially when I size down in boots - and a roundish toe box due to my Morton's Toe (long 2nd toe) and this boot provides that in spades. The shaping is just right . The boot could be a tad more rounded, but the toe box contours nicely around my toes. The boot is snug without feeling constricting.

Striking the ball feels nice and natural, there is not a lot of overcorrection in the strike from the boot causing the foot to function unnaturally. I tend to strike the ball in this boot as I would if I were playing barefoot - which means lots of instep contact vs. too much top/center of the foot which I see occur a lot on boots that feel pretty clunky or mess with proprioception and aid in the commonly seen strike that has too much outswing or slice.

The touch/feel to the inside and outside of the foot feels fantastic on reception and turning as well as contacting for passes....to the younger crowd, this or any boot isn't giving me "touch" or "control" practice did that, the boot just allows me to feel the ball naturally. So practice more, and buy features less. Also, while this is a "speed" boot, I can assure you that they didn't make me faster, I am currently running like a gimp with a load of crap in the back of his shorts because my gait is way, way off normal. Will I be fast after getting my proprioception, strength, and confidence back, yes. Will the boot give me an edge or do the work for me, nope, not at all.

Cons:

The heel material - adidas was using a soft nubuck type material on boots for a while, this is now gone. I think the new synthetic material is passable but I have yet to try with some socks that lack heavy cotton make up so....heel slipping could be an issue.

The heel counter could be a tab more solid/rigid. It might have been the fact that I wasn't adjusted to the boot, but I feel like it could be more rigid back there around the achilles tendon.

Deliberating:

The stripes - they didn't hinder anything, but I really question the logic of not making them graphics on the leather model as well as the plastic model. It would be one thing if they were "zones" but they are just overlays that serve no functional purpose. They would look much worse on a two toned boot because they are not streamlined and they look slightly out of place with their location. I have noticed the stitching seems solid, but the edging of the material is not finished well and fraying a bit already. The stripes could be restricting the lateral and medial forefoot a bit in terms of fit, but I am giving them a few wears to come to an opinion.

Personally, I can see myself taking them off the boot as they look odd and add no value, while possibly being a slight hindrance with shaping.

Other info:

I didn't really strike standard powerful or bending shots in them because I tweaked my hip abductor a bit on Sat when I struck deadballs for 2.5 hours...ahh the perils of long injury lay offs. I should be fine by next week to really start putting those types of balls in, but for now pinged balls and short passes are what I am limiting myself to doing.

vanjory, rooster and b0sk1 repped this.
  15. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First time I wore my adizero the stripes frayed a lot, so i picked it all off. They seem so poorly attached, why they didn't just stitch the very edge i don't know

16. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Adizeros are about the bite the dust any day now. There's a huge crease in the sole plate near the ball of the foot where it split from the upper. I'm just waiting on it to crack. So, the question is, Copa or Premier? I currently have a pair of Copas that are super worn out and I know they work for me. Downsides: A bit clunky, and I've had them before (no excitement in getting a new pair). I think the Premiers are in the lead. They're lighter, slimmer, and a few bucks cheaper. And there's the excitement of trying a new boot. Downsides: I can't think of any so if anyone could help me out here I'd appreciate it.

And just to throw a wrench it a seemingly simple decision: I just found out yesterday I can get any Asics boot for 50% off wholesale through my work. The downside is it could take up to 6 weeks to actually receive them (although it would probably be more like 2) and honestly none of them strike my fancy other than the fact that I can get them on the cheap.

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    JC is here ANY boot out there you like? - lol

I always thought the stitched on stripes that are on the leather adizero look stupid anyhow, they really stick off the boot I think like JC said they'd annoy me a bit and I'd probably contemplate picking them off too. Awful bit of design by Adidas.

appleCORR

18. Cookie4HatTrick

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't gotten around to playing in them, but I've been pretty happy with the Lethal Flash for it being a take down. I've also heard good things about the X-Fly K.

19. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like a lot of boots, but as with everything there is a give and take in what I am willing to accept and over look. I most likely will overlook the flaws the adiZero and enjoy the boot until it breaks down or I move on to the new adiZero, which looks promising. I might even move it into the "love" category, if it plays well.

I do love some boots, but I'd nitpick those, too. The adiPower, the MIJ Morelia, adiZero 1.5, Profi, Copa, adiPure III, Brasil (90's - 02), King Finale SL, Tiempo Premier (2000-2004 and re-release 2008-10), and the Legend IV all fall into the love group.

I am just hyper critical....part of being a perfectionist.

gwood88 repped this.
  20. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm fussy about my boot - Once I find something I like I tend to stick with it so maybe that's me being slightly OCD. I just like to have something I can rely on really, I like to know that I can rely on the touch and feel of the boot etc.

I hate switching models especially when I don't feel there is any need. I know people like to switch brands/models etc.

appleCORR

21. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    I always find a fault with a boot. It's why I chop and change so much. I really like my tiempo elite's but they are starting to loose their shape, after a year of solid use. The heel also doesn't quite lock my foot enough either. The only boots I've ever loved were the Mania and the vapor II (matte finish).

22. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two of the best boots ever made if you ask me - simple design too!

The only fault I've found with the LZ2 is because I have a few pair, if I pop on a newer pair I always think the toe box is a bit tight, but it soon gives after a few minutes. The fit of the Miadidas pair is amazing. Completely different to the standard model. I don't know why Adidas didn't just use that design for the LZs.

appleCORR

23. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Best boots I ever had were the Lotto Stadios of the late 90s. No messing about, conical studs, beautiful soft leather and a perfect fit, for me at least. Always regretted not getting more pairs.

Dr. Boots repped this.
  24. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would you say the miadidas is worth staying at a standard size in? I felt I needed to size up in the LZ II, specifically due to the toe box on the retail model, I am a snug 11 in just about everything else from adidas.

25. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Those were quality, I forgot them on my love list. The felt foldover tongue was nice as well.