Adidas kits for SJ in '05

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Jay Hipps, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay beat me to it!

So Grant Wahl says next year, Jack Bell of the NY Times says 2006.

"The three stripes will become the official athletic sponsor and licensed product supplier to MLS starting next season. Adidas has sponsored three MLS clubs since the league started in 1996 (Columbus, D.C. United and Kansas City) and in 2005 will add five more teams (Chivas USA, Colorado, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake and San Jose). In 2006, it will take over the MLS game ball and the uniforms for the remaining teams: Chicago, Los Angeles, the MetroStars and New England." from Wahl's article.

The question that jumps out at me is why are the Quakes the only Nike team going to Adidas next season?

Tony

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that Nike's contract to supply the Quakes ended last year, and no company was desiring to supply them this year, because they all thought it was a dead franchise, but they had to have uniforms so MLS convinced Nike to stick it out for one more year, doing the bare minimum with the designs they already had. In the cases of LA and Metros, Nike has a regular supplier agreement that expires next year.

4. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Oh...so we, the "dead franchise," had to wear the ManU hand-me-downs one more year because MLS begged them, eh?! Must have really chaffed them when we came back in the middle of the year and asked, "oh, yeah...could you roll out some retro, tribute unis for us too?"

That little anecdote pisses me RIGHT off!

You can already put me down for purchase of at least one new Quakes' Adidas home kit next year...maybe two if we can also buy the away strips. **Memo to Adidas: I'd be especially thrilled with an option to buy long-sleeved versions of the kits, as well!!! :D

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bastards, the bleedin' bastards. Nuck Fike!!!

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That article has me psyched.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't just Nike that thought so.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the Quakes got to wear the nice-looking current uniforms for one more year.

Hopefully next year's San Jose Earthquakes uniforms will look similar to the San Jose Earthquakes current uniforms.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not 100% true.

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...before you react to the things you read in messages boards, you need to have all the facts. Which you will never have when you read things on messages boards. So please take things with a grain of salt or realize that people here (myself included) don't have all the facts.

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Gotta split with you guys here - this Nike hatred is stupid.

*I love the Quakes uniforms, both the Ajax type and the current ones. I think they look classic and will not be improved by three stripes.

*Noah said NO manufacturer wanted the Quakes. Nike clothed us, Adi did not.

*Next year's jerseys will be cookie-cutter blue adi. Whoopdie do.

*Do you recognize what Nike has done for the national team program? What Nike money and programs have done for the Quakes? Nike money kept World Cup '94 from being just a circus that passed through town - Nike forced US Soccer to be more than the old beer and peanuts organization. I'd say Nike money was the springboard for the Donovan generation.

*Nike was bullish on this league and set the standard for investment. Returns may have soured their attitude, but adi would not be investing like this in MLS if the swoosh was not a huge player in American soccer.

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.... I think I'm beginning to like you....

Fish! What did I just say?!

Anyway, You've pretty much almost got the reality of the situation down.

13. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of how one feels about Nike, it is clear that this is a great deal for MLS. Nike has done some good things for MLS and GREAT things for US soccer. Addias making this commiment to MLS right now, however is a great sign of health and ambition for the league. Hey, the best possible result is that Nike starts to fear that them may lose their overall soccer market share and devote MORE resources to promoting US Soccer and key invidual players.

14. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    The fact is.....you are a hot Nike dork.....and that's a fact jack!

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Don't be fooled. I just trashed Onstad and Robinson five minutes ago. I'm just being prickly.

16. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    The Quakes could've made a statement to all those big outfitters by deciding to play wearing only jocks this year. Sort of the MLS' version of "the Emperor has no clothes." :D

They could just use body paint to put on numbers and the logo.

17. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be the day :)

18. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and what about those few corky guys who don't wear jocks???

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'm surprised that no "old-timers" *coughGoodsportcough* have made the adidas connection to the NASL Earthquakes (IIRC, the NASL Earthquakes and the WSL Earthquakes for that matter were adidas start to finish).

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did... but in another thread.

-G

21. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so glad that Adidas got the league-wide deal and not Nike.

I'm watching Dortmund v. Hamburg on FSW right now, and both teams are wearing Total 90 uniforms. Dortmund is yellow with a black area over the shoulders for the player's name; Hamburg is all white, but it's still clearly the same style.

You just know that if Nike had a league-wide contract, all 12 teams would be wearing the exact same cut of jersey, and an ugly one at that. Ugh. I have much more faith that Adidas will be sensible with their designs.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though the three current Nike-supplied MLS teams wear differently-designed jerseys from one another, it's a strong possibility that next year the whole league would've worn a variation of the Total 90 uniforms had Nike gotten the league-wide deal instead of Adidas (though the team's wordmark would've still had to been on the chest area, so perhaps the cueball jersey number on the front would've been smaller and lower than usual).

Nevertheless, I don't see why next year's Adidas San Jose Earthquakes jersey wouldn't keep the current logo crest and wordmark, and I hope that they retain the same shade of blue as the current jersey has as well, which is by far the best shade of blue of all the blue-clad MLS teams.

-G

23. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The billiard ball number (cueballs don't have numbers ;) ) would probably be omitted, unless they also changed the font of the player numbers on the back.

Since the Total 90 kits were introduced this year, I definitely think that had such a deal with Nike been made for '04, it would have involved Total 90's for all teams. But next year they may have a new, and probably just as ugly, design to push.

Between the team names insisted upon by Nike when the league was formed (and when they tried again when the Fire was formed to dictate the name Rhythm) and the Total 90 crap, I am sick of Nike and hope they keep their filthy meathooks off our league from now on. Sorry Erin!

I think the shade of blue is part of the trade dress for the team. As long as the team crest is unchanged, the colors shouldn't. I don't expect the crest to change this year, but when we move to Santa Clara for '06 ;) it might, since elements of the Great Seal of the City of San Jose are included. But even then I doubt they would change the colors.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the "San Jose Earthquakes" name remains intact even after such a move. ;)

I wonder if that would (or even could) be part of what the Merc meant when it mentioned a little while ago that San Jose had offered a hand of help to Santa Clara regarding the stadium situation. :confused:

-G

25. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    The National Team was sponsored and equipped by Adidas for WC94. (Denim shorts, baby!)

Nike became interested in soccer because of the global market. With its early partnership with MLS it helped Nike become the major player in soccer equipment worldwide. Nike makes FAR MORE money on soccer than all other sports COMBINED. So it seems to me Nike owes US Soccer and MLS more than vice versa. If Adidas offered a 150 mil deal, Nike should have ponied up 300 mil just because its an american company and MLS is the premier American league.