Addicks: Five More for Curbs?????

Discussion in 'Charlton Athletic' started by hartley, Jul 13, 2005.

1. hartley

hartley Member

From the club's official web site:

<<Five more on Curbs' hit list>>

at: http://shop.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=22382

Who could be these five?

1. Sidwell?
    2. Gardner?
    3. striker 1?
    4. striker 2?
    5. central defender 1?

The club has been successfully very hush hush. I could only guess that Corradi, Craig Davies [Oxford United starlet], and Pauleta could still be striker targets. The only ones of which I have heard. We are full of midfielders, but Sidwell has been rumored a target for some time now. Gardner could still be a possibility. With an injury, maybe we get him much cheaper. We have shown we can take Hotspurs defenders and make them better than they were at White Hart Lane.

Discuss.

2. hartley

hartley Member

Of course, this list could include Smertin.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Craig Davies would be a good buy. It would be in line with some of the other moves this summer. Young players with bunches of potental.

4. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    The supposed hold up on Smertin is that rather than taking a loan, Charlton is trying to buy him for £1.75m.

I'm really hopeful for a striker of real quality. Probably won't happen.

Gardner is out. He failed that medical and so they won't take a chance him.

I did hear one thing on Sky Sports News last night that made me groan. Ambrose wants Lee Bowyer to be added. Just what we need a bad attitude player influencing our youngsters. Next thing you know they'll be pulling crap like him.

I just don't see how he can bring in another five players. The players that come to this club expect first team spots. They don't want to play in squad rotation which looks like what will happen with all these additions.

5. hartley

hartley Member

I saw that too. But I heard Ambrose being asked if he would welcome Bowyer if Bowyer came to the Valley. What's Ambrose supposed to say on air? Of course he's going to say he would welcome him -- whether he really would or not.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. hartley

hartley Member

He may not help immediately, but it is nice to see the club reload on youth after letting some go this summer.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need some turnover at all levels. Either the manager and coaches change or the players change.

With Curbishley's record of development, I would say we should continue to turn over players when they cannot progress.

At any rate, Alan seems to be down to trying for two more players. He seems to be happy with his choice of defenders. So, I am guessing at another midfielder of the attacking sort and a striker. But what do I know.

I'm just excited about the season starting. I wish the two home friendlies were going to be broadcast.