Adams: RB Leipzig v Freiburg [R] 5/16/2020

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, May 16, 2020.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The Dortmund-Schalke match is more likely to get the page clicks (and I'll be watching that too), but I'll post this just in case anybody prefers to watch Tyler Adams and RB Leipzig on FS2 in their match against Freiburg.

taylor repped this.
  2. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Looking forward to seeing TA do his thing

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    With Reyna injured, I switched over. It looks like Adams might be playing as a right wing back.

taylor repped this.
  4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picture quality is terrible.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Brilliant throw by Gulacsi to set up a Leipzig counter. Shot by Werner is saved and ends up out for a corner.

That really was a great throw. Tim Howard would have been proud.

Pegasus repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Was that adams trying the airborn gentle volley from the flick

7. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I’ll watch this second half, when Tyler will be on the screen more, I hope. Picture quality is crap.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    RB Leipzig is piling up the chances now. Mukiele just missed an acrobatic shot. Kampl had a certain goal blocked by a defender. Schwolow was totally lost on a Leipzig corner on which nobody could connect.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    0-1, Freiburg score against the run of play off a corner. A slight flick on a near post corner. I didn't see Adams involved.

Adams and a teammate had been pressing a Freiburg player on the right sideline, when the ball deflected hard off Adams to win Freiburg the corner.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Adams receives a pass with space on the right side of the box. Shot is deflected for a corner.

IMO, Adams could have done better with the chance.

taylor repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Adams starts the second half. We'll see if he moves spots because Leipzig made a halftime sub of Lookman for Mukiele.

The commentator just touched on this, but Adams (and Angelino) provided little going forward as wingbacks in the first half. Adams was mostly turning inward with the ball instead of driving upfield.

I'll say that Adams was stout defensively though.

wixson7 repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Lookman is wide open at the 6-yard box and misses with the goal gaping.

An Nkunku shot is parried.

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Very good defensive bite shown by Adams around the 67:50 mark on the right sideline.

That's his last action of the match, as Sabitzer is brought on for Adams shortly after.

wixson7 repped this.
  14. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBL just snake-bit in front of goal

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    1-1. RB Leipzig finally equalize. A looping cross by Kampl is met by a towering header from Poulsen.

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    FS2 commentator kept calling him Tony Adams. Almost enough to ruin this experience of actual live football. Outside title shot could really use a late go-ahead here. I thought Tyler looked pretty good defensively, but when he sneaks into the attack, I feel he goes too central too instead of being wide and then going to the far post - too many times running to the penalty spot when someone was already there.

17. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost as if he’s not a wide player

wixson7 repped this.
  18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Catastrophe for Leipzig. Set piece goal for Freiburg.

Will the goal stand? Nope, it remains 1-1.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    solid point.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does everyone make of Angelino? A fairly unheralded player for NYFC who is being loaned from Man City and has won a starting spot for RBL. I really don’t remember him from MLS but maybe he didn’t play my team often and others remember him as a standout. So right now both wingbacks for RBL are former MLS players for teams in NYC (or close by).

21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    he played badly for Pep a few games and was sent packing. Don't watch NYCFC until they play on something bigger than a garden lanai.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcers were saying RBL have a chance to buy him and argued they should. Guess he's not good enough for Pep ball at Man City but a starter from RBL basically right out of MLS is a plus for MLS of near the same level of Adams. he just isn't American so we don't care.

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He couldn't handle pretty much any of pep game. The passing, the running. The pressing. But to be honest that ManCity backline was awful most of the year. Probably the only reason he got a shot in the first place.

The truth is I think Adams is getting Trent-alexandered by Snagglestooths need to ape Klopp. He wants him to be a creator on the right,trailing plays, sending in crosses, in general be an offensive force with plenty of pace to get back on defense.

It's just not his game. If anything, you could create a Tyler 'Type' of his own. A very quick attacking 6 where your RM and LM pinch in behind him. But that's why Klopp is a great one and Snaggs is an ape.

Pegasus repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A quick attacking 6 would need to be good at dishing in the final third/central which is the weakest part of Adams' game.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    early pass out of the attacking midfield? I would have said yes before his first games with RBL but as he played centrally and was made aware that 'you can't just defend and be a professional midfielder' he started to get his head up and look for passes. I think out all of the US players around, he, CP and sargent are the only three I have seen who can manage this at the moment.

26. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, you can see him hesitating/stumbling mentally a little as the distance to the half moon decreases in the attacking end and defenders become more concentrated. That's not atypical for dmids. Take a look at how to negotiate that space in the 3rd goal Leverkusen just scored on Bremen (pass before the assist).

Adams has been best when he takes a left of right slant wide going forward over the halfway line. It opens space and allows him to use his best skills like short passing combos, pressing, possession, diagonal crosses, etc. He can hit a hell of a fine ball from 30 yds out along the touch line to the far post.

The position Nagelsman is playing him should give him plenty opportunity to put on a show.