Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Yeah you never take out your best player because you might need him to save you when shit gets ugly

Deep Pal and Stiliyan repped this.
  2. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I think Xavi is just under incredible pressure and not handling some aspects of the job very well. That said, I still think he's a good coach but it probably would have been better for him to take a Xabi route and take a job where the stakes weren't this high.

But to your point about the approach, I think either can work, but my personal preference when playing was to have coaches who trust the process rather than act like a lunatic.

Anon. repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nagelsmann was a guy that constantly talked to players and moved as well. I think those are in the majority to be honest.

4. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Deep Pal, white_raid2, MerlinRM and 2 others repped this.
  5. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    So what?

Would Barca get "double-advanced" if they won by more goals? There's more to a #9's game than just scoring, though I agree it's his primary role in a team. [More on that down below.]

In the 1st leg, he beat Marquihos like a drum, both in the air, and in holdup play. Barca HAVE been playing more direct recently than they have historically.

But here's the other thing about a target #9 nowadays:

They all are deployed as a "free man" in defending set pieces. Your top ~2 or 3 man markers mark the other side's top 2 or 3 targets, and your tall #9 plays free to help head away dangerous service. Every single team in football does this.

Neither Yamal nor Raphinha can do that; only Lewandowski can.

Agreed on this. He also has the highest 2-way workrate of the 3 forwards on the pitch at that time.

They did: Raphinha scored 3 goals over both legs of the tie. He was beating their RB like a drum.

Disagreed. He was the only forward of the 3 that adds anything at all defending set pieces, and in holdup play. And even IF his holdup play wasn't as good as it was in Paris, he's the only one of the 3 forwards that has that attribute.

More importantly, he's the only forward of the 3 that can defend set pieces adequately.

Disagreed. Yamal is dynamite going forward, but when you're up 2 goals at home, that isn't the #1 concern. Keeping the ball out of your own net is. Therefore, keeping your highest work rate and your best holdup and set piece defender of your 3 forwards is/was the only choice.

And any other manager in football would do the same; For you guys, Benzema would often stay on when Ramos would get his 3 or 4 reds/season.

6. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    While Xavi has some good attributes as a coach i think Yamal has been making him look good as well. Imagine if he didn't break out this season the way he did, Barcelona would be fighting for the 4th spot.

Having said that, i definitely have a bias when it comes to Xavi. It's important to mention that as well.

Deep Pal, MerlinRM, Anon. and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think hold up play and set piece defending, which are the 2 things you've highlighted as the main reasons for keeping Lewandowski on, shouldn't be the main concern when Araujo got sent off. I think that would be looking at the wrong variables. We disagree philosophically on this. They didn't end up needing Lewandowski to defend set pieces, they needed someone to run past a defender and create or score a chance because how can anyone think that this Barcelona will hold on to a lead for 60+ mins against Dembele, Barcola and Mbappe. You have to know that you will concede.

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    And yet, he did defend at least 2 or 3 set piece chances, just off the top of my head. Yamal would have been beaten like a drum in the air on the 2 corner's Lewandowksi cleared, and the [at least] 1 free kick he cleared.

Barca could have ended up ceding MORE goals, without this part of their lineup, for better or worse.

You're already 2 goals up. Again, do Barca get "extra credit" for trying to go 3 goals up?

In any case, Barca still had their chances to score, even without Araujo and Yamal.

I get that you guys don't like Barca, but there isn't a single manager [Carlo included] that would not have taken off Yamal, if given the same predicament, with the same scoreline. At this point in his career, Yamal's game is almost entirely about what he can do with the ball, and little-to-nothing about his tactical awareness, nor his ability to defend as a team.

9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Haaland will leave City in a year or two. Pep ball doesn't suit him against good teams. He needs to play under coaches who allow individuality like Inzaghi under Carlo. Obviously we won't be interested with Endrick and probably Mbappe coming.

Deep Pal, Raul-7 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    I never want to hear how Doku is a good player ever again. He’s absolute shit.

Seoul Villan repped this.
  11. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thought he did better than Grealish though Carva was tired by the time he came on. Final ball is poor. Rudiger poor clearance from his cross in KDB goal. Also hilarious how City had like 20 corners and didn't really do much.

Doku raw dribbling was good, but thankfully, final ball was poor always.

Deep Pal, arcane and J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    He’s decent against shit wing backs.

Carvajal and Fede had him under control when he came on. He dribbles with his head down and runs into a wall. When he’s able to get through, his final ball is trash like you say.

The amount of fear being put out from this guy. Jesus.

13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sooooo what about if no EPL team makes it through? Lol …….sorry, couldn’t resist

14. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    What? That guy terrorized us. I wish he was on our bench and we could have threw him out their to terrorize them

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I overheard of a guy talking on the phone to his friend about him booking a flight to the CL Final in London because he thought Arsenal was going to win.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

An Arsenal fan lol

these guys

Deep Pal, Excape Goat and Anon. repped this.
  17. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Doku was an agent of chaos and that's exactly what he did when he came on. I don't think some of his decision-making was the greatest, but the goal came from an attack that originated from him. Some of that no doubt was benefitting from fresh legs vs. dead tired Carvajal, but he did what he was supposed to tonight. Strange time to make this post when he's had enough of an up-and-down season.

18. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Doku is a flat track bully. Runs hot and cold - I think he’s related to Dembele as they both have a large vacancy between the ears.

19. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My prediction is Haaland ends up at Barca in 2025 when Lewa leaves.They will be desperate if we sign Mbappe and will probably sell off renovated Camp Nou commercial rights or srh to fund Haaland signing. Bayern has Kane for few more years and Haaland probably wants to try a new league anyways going by what his dad has said.

Deep Pal and Anon. repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude went 0/4. Should work for ESPN FC or with Carragher. :D

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

white_raid2 repped this.
  22. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Or he comes here?

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think he's had enough one touch football for a lifetime.

Maybe Bayern after Kane wraps up his contract.

Digital, Deep Pal, J-Mezzy and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Was it because of Davis? I did not watch the game.

25. Airjao

Airjao Member

Real Madrid
    Mar 23, 2014

Davies didn’t play due to suspension I believe.

Excape Goat repped this.