Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Pogba was completely misunderstood as a player and paid/valued based on potential and imagination rather than what he was doing on the field.

Never was the player some people thought he would be, but could have been an excellent player for a team that realized this regardless.

2. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some are more similar and some less. But similar doesn't mean the same. Two people both having their hair colored doesn't mean they are the same person, thats overly simplistic.

3. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thats basically what I'm saying; we could have been that team, but its not a big regret regardless since we fared pretty well without him and it took way more years for Modric to decline than most people thought.

meringues, Serengeti_Boy and 4x4s repped this.
  4. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It'll be hilarious if they do. They will give them 2 jerseys, to use all year. They will tell them to wash the kits themselves at home and their lockerrooms will now be used as an event venue.

Deep Pal, Ahmadi8 and Anon. repped this.
  5. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They get to play in the Champions League too, plus European clubs keep an eye on the Turkish league.

6. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was a fantastic talent, but without the consistency or focus, or something. Just like Isco, something about his personality kept him from reaching the very top, definitely not his talent or physical ability though. That man was like a Riquelme with a modern footballers build.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Pogba was seen as this mega box to box guy that would clean up but it's pretty clear from seeing the lineups at Juve where he excelled that he played his best football when he had players do the dirty work for him and he could focus on final third distribution and attack.

I was amazed at how multiple coaches insisted that they'll get unlock this potential. Just use what's there.

Serengeti_Boy and Digital repped this.
  8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Going direct to the consumer will return more money to the clubs in Superleague, it makes sense that it would also work for jerseys. I mean, how hard can it be to do a deal with UPS logistics and sign an agreement with a sweatshop in Thailand?

[​IMG]

9. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Nike is going through a restructuring and began layoffs this month. They have been underperforming as a company for quite some time.

I’m guessing the issue with Barca is Nike isn’t keen on paying the massive sponsorship deal considering how they don’t have a marquee player to market and haven’t been performing on the field. I’m guessing both sides are lawyering through the contract to figure out the exit.

Barca had no idea the challenge making and selling their own kit you can’t go to the fake market in Bangkok and ask them to supply the world overnight.

Anon. and Shay Z repped this.
  10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND, no one else was willing to pay either. For one of the top ten international brands which sells over a million shirts per year. Canary in a coal mine.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The contract runs through 2028 but the club is trying to renegotiate terms for an extension. Apparently Puma is offering double what Nike is paying now ... but that could be a Laporta bluff. Nike came up with a new number but apparently it didn't satisfy Laporta. At least that's the story right now. But it makes sense since Nike has indeed been pulling back from sponsorships. At least for individual athletes but it's probably a sign they don't see the value they used to and that can be true with the amount the splash on clubs.

The problem is if Laporta wants to unilaterally terminate Nike's contract. That's going to lead to legal trouble because I doubt Nike would be OK with that.

I don't take Laporta's comment about the club making their own kits too seriously. It's not a good idea.

12. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    What’s your point here? Barca clearly need money and value themselves at a rate higher than what makes sense financially for Nike to continue to pay and what other players like Puma or New Balence are willing to pay.

Being a top 10 brand has nothing to do with it here. It’s unit economics.

13. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    I think Nike would gladly terminate the deal if they could.

Anon. repped this.
  14. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, it's a lazy assumption to think he was a box 2 box, he was more of a Kroos than a Modric. His passing and shooting is excellent, plus his build and dribbling helps him retain the ball. His positioning and workrate is shit though lol.

Digital repped this.
  15. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

@hector_br @celito

what do you guys think?

I think your league is highly competitive and not far behind the Portugals, France, and even Serie As

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't really watch any of those other leagues so I can't really judge. But that's probably a fair assessment. Brazilian league has improved a bit in the past half decade or so IMO. Teams are a bit more tactically aware than before.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The deal for me with the Barca equipment deal is that the logistics and the process is huge. You have quality control, design, material, production and shipping, people really understimate what kind of an operation that is.

When us and Barca got our merch rights back, both clubs struggled massively with stock and product range because it sounds easy on paper but gets complicated in execution.

I think Barca might want to switch to a different brand and are selling this as a pivot before they eventually land with a different equipment company.

temesgen repped this.
  18. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Ten years ago, I wouldn't bother watching any Brasileirão match, not even Palmeiras matches.

Now, I watch Palmeiras matches and leave the most interesting matches as background noise.

Far from pretty football, but it's a much better product nowadays. Teams are able to retain some second/third-tier talents now, and that makes a huge difference. Palmeiras has just signed Anibal Moreno from Racing (Argentina), and I think he'll join a European team sooner or later. He's a defensive midfielder and has it all to become a Palmeiras idol.

I'd advise everyone to take some time and watch at least big Brazilian derbies and support Criciúma (my "home" team), which has just been promoted this year.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Yeah for me Arias is a player of the level of a Sevilla or Valencia or Atalanta but for some reason he never got those opportunities. Part of it is that Brazilian clubs aren’t broke so they price high for their players

So that leaves the russias and Saudi’s or Turkish leagues. I’d much rather him stay in Brazil. It’s great football

20. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    How about considering working capital? It seems Barca is significantly underestimating the difficulty of this task and the severe consequences of making poor decisions.

21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #18071 Shay Z, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    He was a rare talent. Then a combination of circumstances (some self inflicted) led to him never reaching his true potential. Such a wonderful footballer during that initial Juve/France era.

Yes, they started pulling away from the star athlete driven model which they've followed for decades so you see fewer and fewer athletes being given obscene contracts like they used to, going forward they don't want their brand to revolve around athletes as much. But i don't think it's the same thing when it comes to global brands and institutions. There is a difference, at least in my mind. So i am not sure if pulling away from institutions is also part of their new strategy but to me that wouldn't make sense.

Regarding Barcelona, i think the issue might be that Laporta is trying to get to a number which doesn't make sense to Nike and if Barcelona wasn't in such dire trouble some way forward could have found but Laporta needs cash and he needs it yesterday. Every month that goes by hurts their brand. Their main competitor signed an English player who instantly became a global superstar and now they are about to sign an already established super star from France. Laporta isn't an idiot, i think he's extremely worried. Hopefully that leads to poor decisions.

Not related to this but i thought it was curious that when it was leaked that Mbappe has actually signed with us for real this time, a couple of weeks later Haaland's manager is invited to have a meeting with Deco. Looks 100% like a PR stunt to me. Giving the fanbase false hope that look if they sign one of the 2 current super stars we can sign the other.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    While the Brazilian league has been getting better, the Turkish teams have been getting beat like a drum in Europe fairly consistently over the past decade or 15 years. It used to be quite difficult for top Euro teams to go to Istanbul and come away with anything. Not so much anymore.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  23. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nike already pays 100 ME+ without including add ons. I don't think Puma is offering anywhere close to double that. Barca already have top 2 biggest kit deal along with RM so if there's a renewal, it's probably closer to current figures.

celito repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah ... I didn't know it was that much. It's apparently 160m per year. I thought it was lower. No way anybody is offering double that. For sure it's BS then.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  25. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

PSG vs Monaco. 0-0 at halftime and Mbappe gets subbed off. Now he’s watching the 2nd half from the stands with his mom.

So strange