Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, but for the strength and competitiveness of La Liga, I wish Depor hadn’t faded so far away

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Disagree. When healthy, he was phenomenal. In terms of Spain, he played in one of the best midfield at international level so can't hold that against him, and beyond that, he was always injured or not in shape.

3. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Whenever I think of Depor, I only think of that no look back heel pass from Guti to Benzema.

4. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Celta are on the verge of firing Rafa Benitez. I read that if they get the wrong result this weekend he could be gone and a new coach installed before they play us. Mallorca are playing well recently but we know from the past that we can't rely on others.

As has been pointed earlier, the Valencia game is gonna be super tough. Those guy will play it as a CL final and of course their shitty fans will be up for it too. I don't know if you or others will agree with me but i don't think we've been playing all that well since the Girona game. We miss Jude a lot. Also this team does pick and choose when to ratchet up the intensity. For example, we took the Girona game very seriously and our intensity and focus was great but we saw the consequences of it in Germany when we looked super cold.

Back in the day we all used to hate Valencia because of their butchary and now all this added shit they've pulled has only intensified my dislike for that club. My wish is that we can go over there and get a convincing win but at the moment any win will be just fine. Rooting extra hard for Vinicius on saturday.

Anon., MiamiNative0722, HZinho and 2 others repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I hate Valencia most because they robbed us from seeing Mendieta in the royal white shirt.

Shay Z repped this.
  6. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    One more in the long list of reason to dislike that club. The Violencia days were not fun. They screwed us over in the David Villa transfer saga too but that turned out to be a blessing because we signed Karim instead.

Manifesting a big win on Saturday but any win will do.

RoadMan repped this.
  7. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, that Valencia game is immense and I truly hope the team approaches it just like they did with Girona. Attack from the start, pressure them, get a goal or two early on and take it from there. Just don't let them intimidate us, really important to keep focus!

8. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Xavi is 10yrs older than Thiago and played his last tournament for Spain 10yrs ago

Any reason why teenage Pedri and Gavi are staring tournaments ahead of Thiago?

9. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane05, ImadEdd, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  10. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Lol that was all in your head man. Valencia weren't violent and they definitely never had anything against Madrid. They dealt with us fairly.

Same as Depor, Osasuna, etc.

11. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019
    YES!!! YES!!! THINGS ARE HAPPENING. BOOM! BOOM!

*nothing happens*

MiamiNative0722 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
  13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Anon., Doni and natenate101 repped this.
  14. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely hurt bad. That squad was insanely good. Felt for Mou, and I actually don’t think he’s been the same since.

Stiliyan, Bear Crotch, Zidane05 and 5 others repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have to say, I can't understand people that kind of describe rooting for the most successful team in European football as some sort of deeply emotional labor. Imagine being an Alaves or Granada fan.

A Schalke Fan i used to know was feeling like garbage so much I wondered how he does this to himself at times.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Remind me, what happened?

17. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was such a shame, because RM was incredible that season. When the players decided to push against Bayern, the score was 2-0 within 20 mins. And how about the three biggest sure bets missing a PK, in Ronaldo, Kaka and Ramos? What a squad that was, a shame. Should have been the 10th.

18. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Literally the only successful team I support which is why I find all this conspiracy talk so crazy. I’ve supported small teams my whole life, I know what it is to be let down, disappointed, and to NEVER get the benefit of the doubt with calls. Even with them
    I don’t call it conspiracy, just life. The big clubs and big stars will get the benefit of the doubt.

Madrid is the one team I never have to worry about lol. I know we are going to win a title every other year at worst, have the most prestige, have a ton of money, have the best players, great coach, best president, and is the most respected organization in the sport. It almost feels weird to me but I love it lol

Saeta Rubia and hector_br repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think most adults love the history of the club just as much as the present, a lot of the younger fans basically ignore everything past Ronaldo/Benzema/Bale

petros93 repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  21. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Supporting Real Madrid during the Ronaldinho era was hell for a Brazilian. Everyone supported Barcelona and, obviously, hated Real Madrid.

Until CR and Mourinho came and kicked our asses in terms of self-confidence and self-esteem, I'd say it felt like supporting not a small but a secondary team.

Nowadays, it certainly feels like supporting a powerhouse. But despite all the money and prestige, RM was a supporting actor for many many years.

22. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    What a wasted career.

Saeta Rubia and Anon. repped this.
  23. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Damn, he was such a nice fella, dying his hair to "raise awareness" or whatever. Will be missed.

russian hattie repped this.
  24. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Actually I would argue that being a Madrid fan between 2003-2010 (with the exception of 07-08) was way worse than lower-mid table teams that were never expected to achieve greatness.

Having an expectation of always winning and then constantly falling short while your biggest rivals do sextuples was pretty traumatic not gonna lie. I remember almost every elimination clearly from the golden goal against Juve, Roberto Carlos screwing up right from kickoff against Bayern, Juninho destroying us year after year with Lyon (one year I was in the stands), Higuain missing sitters, Torres killing us with Liverpool, that toxic Clasico where Pepe played DM and got sent off, all culminating in that shootout against Bayern.

Thankfully in the next 10 years we exorcised every ghost - Barca, Dortmund, Bayern, Juve everyone and that’s also why those CL wins felt so incredibly sweet. Ramos and CR would not be the monsters that they were without that backstory I think. But to each their own of course :D

Glide84, Ahmadi8, Saeta Rubia and 3 others repped this.
  25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I spend my Saturday afternoons at a stadium of a now English 3rd tier club who are close to going down to the 4th tier, and potentially going out of existence due to poor ownership

Football is football and victories are victories. I think that's something that unites fans around the world. A desperately needed victory for a 4th tier club over a rival feels as good and as big as a Champions League QF win.

Saeta Rubia, Digital, Doni and 1 other person repped this.