Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’ve thought about this recently. Looking at international sides too. Is it really that the quality of player just isn’t what it used to be? I can’t think why that would be

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I always thought that they can get away with good lawyers. I really have nothing to say.

3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia women trash Panama 6-0

Crazy how much growth we’ve seen in the sport in the last 5 years

from being in the receiving end of those thrashings to being the ones handing them out

I believe Colombia at this point is right behind the super powers, sort of like Croatia in men’s

crazy

Deep Pal and zizou555 repped this.
  4. zizou555

zizou555 Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think it's because there is more focus on speed and efficiency. Some of the roles have almost disappeared, like it was mentioned before, to much focus on certain type of players.

Nations that have a huge talent pool are focusing on producing sellable players as soon as possible. Players are being overcoached, and asked to produce immediately.

Thinking of a lot the great players from before, they didn't bloom at 18. They grew and kept growing and expressing themselves.

Shay Z, Bear Crotch and Digital repped this.
  5. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  6. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Dani Alves is just another example of those who virtue signal the most are the biggest POS. He'll probably bring up racism at some point to justify his sentence. Screw him.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    See why I told you not to get excited about Arsenal yet..... will probably make it past Porto in the return leg at home.... but my point was that you can't just come out and act like Arsenal is suddenly a big CL team.... Long way to go.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He should consider himself lucky because the max he could get was something like 9 or 10 years. Specially if the time he has already hasn't been factored into that 4.5 year sentence. That would mean he'd be out in 3.5 years.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wouldn't want to spend 3,5 hours in the Brazilian prison system. That man will come out changed forever.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is gonna be in prison in Spain.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wait, didn't the incident happen in Brazil? I thought it was while he was playing there? (i'm out of the loop on specifics)

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nope . Happened in Spain . That’s why they put them in prison right away because he was a big flight risk. Like Robinho

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  13. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Alves being jailed for 4 years is brilliant.

Barca DNA

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17814 Jeremy Goodwin, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    And at Afcon since Christmas.

The problems are many: No Spalletti, Osimhen unavailable, Kvara a shadow of his prior year self, 4-3-3 not as effective without Kim, 3-4-3 helped with the defense but we had no offense without a target forward (see Osimhen availability), key players holding out to leave on free transfers at the end of the season and either putting in bad performances or being kept off the field because they want to leave, bringing in value players who have talent but spent a long time injured in the previous season and didn't come in form, offseason spent dicking around with contract extension negotiations (Kvara, Zielinski, Osimhen) that didn't get signed and taking forever to find a coach, on and on.

And een with all that we're underperforming the circumstances.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, still a long way to go. But the bottom line is Arsenal is a contender to win the CL this season, Atletico isn't. This week's results didn't change that.

16. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know how prison sentences are in Spain but in alot of European countries you can get out after serving half your sentence. So Alves might even be out in 1,5 years.

17. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    People who have been watching this sport longer than I have, let me know if I'm veering down the wrong road here, but one thing that feels particularly pronounced in today's game is these super team squads having super team type depth. We're talking about "where does Rodrygo* fit into all of this" in talks about signing Mbappé, and think about how many teams out there - good teams, Champions League-level teams - Rodrygo could join tomorrow and he'd be written into the XI with a Sharpie. Look at the benches of clubs like us and City and Bayern in recent years and how many of those players you could say that about, or are players who might be starters for their international teams but aren't getting regular starting minutes with their clubs.

Players don't get better by sitting and watching and only kicking the ball during training sessions, they get better when they're on the field during games and doing their thing and executing shit for themselves under pressure. So many of the world's best players are on stacked teams when playing time is limited. There's 990 minutes of playing time in a game for an entire squad, obviously 90 of that is tied up in the 'keeper, there's only so much of it to go around and get everyone involved and happy and feeling like they're contributing and getting better game over game.

I mean, again, I don't know if this stuff - to this degree - has always been the case in this sport, so if I'm wrong then please quote me and tell me so and don't go around repping this post. I don't want to be spewing misinformation. Further, if this is the case, I don't know how to "reverse" it; a lot of this is driven by more and more money being funneled to fewer and fewer clubs, with more leagues getting left in the shadows by the day. The 5th best league in the world is routinely called a "farmers league", both the Italian and German leagues are often given poor reception by many football fans today...more and more eyeballs seem fixated on what's happening in England. It's not a good development. The sport as a whole needs all these leagues operating at their best, it's much healthier. We need more modernization in the Brazilian and Argentine leagues as well. All these leagues need each other, they're only enemies when their teams meet in European (or South American) competitions, not otherwise.

I dunno, just my perception of things.

*Rodrygo really does seem like the guy who always draws the short end of the stick in these things...the guy who gets pushed into his less preferred position when Vini plays, the guy who's influence is lessened when he's not the protagonist, the guy who is likely to lose playing time the most with an Mbappé signing, etc., but that all is really its own post.

18. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Don't forget that Alves has been locked up throughout this process out of fear of him being a flight risk to Brazil - no extradition treaty between Spain and Brazil - so he also gets time served credit for that. I dunno if you were taking that into account but feel like it's worth making explicit just to be sure.

19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's now the sex pest forever. You can manage the sentence any way you want, his name is forever tarnished.

20. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I am actually proud of my ability to judge character. I knew Alves was an asshole since the first time I had the displeasure to see his face.

21. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Same in the UK, depending severity.

You can serve half your sentence in Jail and then on a licence upon release, like an ankle tag.

He’ll still be tarnished with being a sexual predator though and no club / person / whatever would want anything to do with that.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sports in general really doesn't care about character if you're really good at it and it doesn't hinder success. One of the WILDEST statements i've ever heard is when Ribery and the other players were accused of flying that lady all over around europe, a sweaty Uli Hoeneß, red in the face after a match, responded to the accusations with "well, have you see that woman? have you seen what she looks like?" as if that makes it ok. Crazy. Just crazy.

Deep Pal and hector_br repped this.
  23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In the weirdest thing i've seen today, Rüdiger talks to spox.de and claims that Tuchel is actually his favorite coach of his career. He said he's brutally honest and they get along very well, and that his tactical understanding left him shocked at times. He says he wanted to join Tuchel at PSG, but eventually they worked together at Chelsea.

About Carlo he says that Carlo is unique in the game, actually being pretty relaxed and low on discipline and authority, even though he does get angry with the team at times, the dynamic works that the team is all united as one and everybody is working towards the same direction.

Says he never even dreamed of playing for Real Madrid, he felt like his limit was to become a Premier League player, but to succeed at Chelsea and then play for Real Madrid is a bonus for years of hard work.

24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Manchester City's trophies will be displayed... in Girona.

I'm looking forward to when they play one another next year in the Champions League. Should be a clean game

Deep Pal, Digital, Saeta Rubia and 2 others repped this.
  25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There will as many people looking at them there as there would be in Manchester.