Acosta leaving

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by superdave, Oct 29, 2019.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lucho's situation at the end of the season was entirely of his own making.

The $6M fee that Pablo Mauer is reporting does make me wonder a little bit. There were all kinds of rumors floating around and the timing, for the club was awful, because it was the last day of the window. There was no chance we'd be able to find and acquire a replacement. I'd heard numbers as high at $10M and as low as $3M floating around social media, they all had to be true right? That $6M number has to come from Lucho, so who knows what caveats and performance numbers are part of the deal. Even so, we were a million bucks into Lucho's acquisition so at $6M, we were $5M to the better, less the third we had to kick up to MLS ahead which had us walking away from that transaction with $4.5M in cash and no #10 for the first half of the season. A season where we were a legit contender for the first time in a decade or more? When was the last time we were a contender on opening day?

But WAIT! Don't forget that you had to give the shady intermediary a cut for brokering the deal. And then you wonder what this was worth for Lucho and/or his agent, did they get a cut too? If the broker and his agent each got only 10% that's another $1.2M off the top and I wouldn't be surprised if it were 20%. Think about this for a minute, it almost had to be a $10M deal to make it even worth thinking about.

I am not sure I buy that it was a straight $6M, no strings attached deal to begin with. I get its his dream, but at that moment, we're selling our title hopes down the river for at best $4.5M, prolly less. Was there even a Lucho grade player (~20A/10G) available anywhere in the world for $4.5M? Even if there were, we sure weren't going to get that guy on board at the last minute like that.

2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I agree with a lot of your argument.

However, I THINK (I'm not 100% positive) that you've got it wrong on the timing of the transfer window.

The incoming to Europe transfer window was closing on 1/31/2019 when all of this was going down.

But the incoming to MLS transfer window was open from 2/13/2019 to 5/7/2019.

So the line that "There were all kinds of rumors floating around and the timing, for the club was awful, because it was the last day of the window. There was no chance we'd be able to find and acquire a replacement." I don't think we were under the time crunch that's described here.

There was definitely a time crunch on whether or not we would sell.

But as for acquiring a replacement, we would have had more than 3 months to sign some one...

sitruc, GumbyG, PSURoss and 1 other person repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True but would we have gotten someone of his skill set for 4.5 Million?? Not unless we signed some 20 year old prodigy from Ukraine.

PSURoss repped this.
  4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Fair enough on the timing. I still don't think that we found a replacement for anywhere near the proceeds of the sale as described or implied by Pablo Mauer.

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Samu Saiz is toiling on the bench for Girona and he would do great in MLS. Wish we'd get him and he'd be a lot less than $4.5M