ACC Tournament Preview

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Carolina, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    1 Seed - Maryland (5-1 Conf.)
    bye

vs

4 Seed - N.Carolina (2-3-1)
    5 Seed - NC State (2-3-1)
    (I could have the 4/5 backwards, since they tied 1-1 reg. season)

2 Seed - Wake (4-2)
    7 Seed - Duke (2-4)
    (Wake gets Duke who they just handle easily 4-0 thanks to Clemson win over Heels)

vs

3 Seed - Virginia (3-3)
    6 Seed - Clemson (2-4)
    (Virginia won regular season 3-2)

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Maryland will kick ass in this tournament. Give the terps the trophy right now. Give Cirovski coach of the year honors as well.

Day one...State beats UNC. Wake hammers Duke, Clemson downs UVA.

Semifinals...Maryland drills State, Wake beats Clemson.

Finals, Maryland beats Wake, 2-1.

3. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    ACC tournament

Anything can happen here. A new season. But, I like your predictions LuvDaBears.

I would change the UNC - State outcome. When it comes crunch time, Tarantini doesn't have what it takes. I bet in their mind it is a moral victory the fact that they are seeded #5 instead of #7. UNC wins!

Clemson over VA? I predicted that Clemson would beat UNC. I think they might be peaking. Usually, Clemson suffers injuries early and late in the season. This year, injuries were begining and middle. SHould be getting healthy and few guys stepping up like Roberts. It will be a stretch but expect lots of fouls, and some hacking. This one a coin toss...maybe overtime!

Maryland - Wake: I think Wake may take it this year.
    FYI: Remember that games start WEDNESDAY to allow an off day after first round!

Maryland will be getting a rested first round winner and that might be huge!

4. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Re: ACC tournament

Nostradamus you made a great prediction on that one...I thought Clemson had no chance against UNC - man was I worng.

Is anyone starting to wonder if UNC is starting to unravel? They haven't looked good in their last 4 games (NC St, Davidson, Wake Forest or Clemson). This weekend they play at South Carolina (who isn't exactly setting the world on fire) - but I have to think its got to be big game for both schools to get any momentum going again.

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Re: Re: ACC tournament

This weekend's game is huge. The team was expected to struggle at the beginning. Now after the success, the struggle is harder to take. We'll see how the young guns handle it.

6. SoccerLover4ever

SoccerLover4ever New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey Fellas,

I would have to say that I like most of your predictions so far, except I believe with Clemson peaking and a couple of their players returning from injury I think we can expect to see them in the finals.

My Predictions:
    UNC 2 - NC. State - 0
    Clemson 1 - Virginia - 0
    Wake Forest 3 - Duke -1

Semi-Finals

Clemson 2 - Wake Forest 1 (OT)
    Maryland 3- UNC 1

Finals

Maryland 2 - Clemson 0

Just my personal preference, as I always seem to see Clemson peak towards the end of the season and tournament time. If you remember 2001 when they won the ACC tournament, they finished low and battled their way to the title. The UVA match will be a very exciting match, as the Cavs have been in the finals the last 5 years, but I just dont get the same vibe from their team this year. Their win over clemson in the regular season was a poor performance and they were handed three goals by the Clemson goalkeeper who is now on the bench, being replaced by the national team keeper Marfuggi.

All in all, I believe Maryland is the strongest team out there and I think they will make it to the final four for the 2nd consecutive year and possible take it all. All i can say is that it is going to be a very exciting tournament and I am extrememly pleased that I will be able to make the games as it is not too far from Charlotte.

See you all there!!!

John Davis
    Soccer Lover 4 ever
    Charlotte, North Carolina

7. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Clemson is tough and playing well, but no one is playing better than Wake right now. 8-0 in October with 30 GF and 5 GA. Wake will win this tournament. Wake and Maryland will make extremely strong showings in the NCAA's. Both teams are playing extremely well. Both are especially deep.

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Let's get to the real predictions. I predict Tarantini will embarass himself and his team with his ranting and raving on the sidelines. I predict Bolowich will not get off his seat, and uncross his legs, even when UNC scores. I predict Rennie will bitch at the ref for almost the entire 90 minutes. Gelnovatch will start his worst players and leave them in, resulting in a first round loss. I predict Cirovski will be pretty calm since his team will hammer everybody, but I also predict he'll have at least one "episode."

I predict that the snowcones will be delicious at SAS soccer park, especially the blue ones. I hope it's warm enough to serve snowcones. Yummy.

9. SoccerLover4ever

SoccerLover4ever New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    haha nice coaching predictions.. what about Adair? You left him off your list... what is he going to do?

-John Davis -
    Soccer Lover 4 Ever
    Charlotte, North Carolina

10. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Clemson at ACC Tournament

I can predict that Adair will tell his players that they have no pressure. That at this point no one expects nothing out of them. That each game could be their 7 seniors last game...don't make VA their last game". That they should have not lost against VA in the season, that they are getting better, and that players are getting healthy. To play Clemson soccer, which is fight until you die. Of course I still predict that VA will squeeze a win after overtime.

11. upset somewhere

Seems so easy to pick MD and Wake in the finals, but this still is the ACC so I got this feeling there will be an upset somewhere.

UNC, Wake, and Clemson win first day.

UNC over Terps in the semis. I've said it time and again, Elmar seems to do much better as the hunter instead of the hunted.

Wake over Clemson in the game of the tourney. This actually was the game I wanted to pick as the upset, but Wake is just playing too well right now.

Wake over UNC. Heels make it interesting with an early goal, Wake prevails something like 2-1 or 3-1.

Btw, me picking Terps to lose doesn't mean I don't think they are good, definitely an upset.

12. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Tarantini

Does Tarantini know the names of the freshman from this year? It normally takes him until November to stop calling them by their numbers or country of origin.

UNC over State
    Clemson over UVA
    Wake over Duke

MD over UNC
    Clemson over Wake in OT, just like 2002

Clemson upsets MD 1-0 on a goal from either Borges or Ogunsola

Nobody picked the Tigers in 2001 either and they beat NCAA Champions UNC and undefeated, not-scored-on-in-the-ACC UVA to win it all.

Maryland to the Final Four
    Wake Sweet 16
    Clemson Elite 8
    UNC Sweet 16
    NC State on probation for Tarantini for offering a full ride to Saviola

13. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Re: Tarantini