ACC Strength

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ncguy, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    I am pleased to see the strong showing from the ACC. Nine players selected to the U23s heading to Portugal. Six of the eight college players to sign P-40 contracts are also coming out of the ACC.

2. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    sure..

It's not surprising, we are talking about the best conference in the country from top to almost bottom (NC St doesn't count remember).

3. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    SHOCKING

big surprise here; Duke and NC State were not represented in the two aforementioned groups!

4. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    How many of these teams made it to the men's or women's finals this year?

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    What's the point

TWO.....they knocked each other out in earlier rounds.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    How many teams develop their players to be ready when the professional ranks come calling? Stanford probably wouldn't be too high on that list.

7. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Until recently, Stanford didn't have much raw talent to work with. Still, nobody's complaining about Simon Elliott and Ryan Nelsen.

8. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    and Nelsen was a transfer if I remember correctly, from a D3 school even.

9. bushmen12

bushmen12 New Member

Jan 12, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    College stunts a player's growth more often than not. The NCAA is so watered down that it is like taking a step backwards after leaving their youth club teams.

10. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    That is simply not true. Whatever you want to say about college soccer, it is without question a step ahead of the soccer played by the top club youth teams. (I assume we're talking about D1 and even D2).

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I agree, and before all the bigsoccer crashes, I was very well known for my dislike of college soccer. Still, there are a few schools who seem to be better at others at putting out decent players with the whole stagnating context. Or perhaps they're better at spotting talent.

Some of the players are playing PDL over the summer, so that helps to some extent. It's obvious that most of the talent is skipping college altogether or not staying the full four years. Professional soccer has been trending that way for awhile, and the last Olympic team had one amateur. This one won't have any at all, and the U20 team is more professional than ever.