ACC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 24, 2018.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first I have ever heard of a scrimmage going to PK's, but then again why not practice every element of the game, right?

2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    a lot of the teams will do a round of pks regardless of the actual score. just most don't report the pk scores. doesn't hurt to practice them

hykos1045 repped this.
  3. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    NC State 3 Georgetown 1. At Georgetown.

mentor5959 and castate repped this.
  4. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    UNC 2 Duke 0

UNC, like most years, is crazy deep. They had 7 subs play at least 20 minutes, with little to no drop-off in quality. Having so many fresh legs on the field is a a pretty big advantage. Duke only used 4 subs, and two of them played for 13 and 9 minutes, respectively.

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Louisville 3
    Morehead St 0

Pitt 1
    Bucknell 0

Notre Dame 4
    Northwestern 0

Miami 4
    FDU 1

6. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I wonder what sort of deal the ACC has with ESPN for the ACC Network. All the coverage of Women's College Soccer so far on ESPNW's website is SEC content, despite the ACC kicking off their own network with ESPN last week. Will be interesting to see if we start seeing more ACC coverage and highlights as the season goes on or if web content was not part of the deal. Seems odd.

7. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    so far I have been annoyed with the ACC Network. Its made it a lot hard to watch games. Almost every ACC game was streamed last year on the watch ESPN app for free. Now you have to have the ACC Network to watch even the streams of all the games.

I get having to have the tv package if its a game actually being streamed on the tv channel ACC Network but if its just the stream broadcast I still think we should be able to get it without a tv subscription. I would love to have the ACC Network but not very many cable companies picked it up

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've seen both UVa games on the WatchESPN app.

9. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    To stream the ACCNx games via Watch ESPN it seems you have to log on with a provider that carries the underlying ESPN network. That would include HULU live for those without cable. Sling used to have the ACCNx but it was dropped a few days ago.

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    its been hit and miss with me on the west coast...i got on for the first half of UNC/Duke then when i tried to get back in for the start of the second half it told me my cable provider doest offer it and blocked me...its like a crack dealer,,,"hey buddy try this for a half and well get you hooked

mentor5959 repped this.
  11. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Wake Forest 2 Santa Clara 1. Good early result for Wake.
    Duke 0 Georgetown 0. Both these teams look down to me, but Sophie Jones is fun to watch.

12. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    From the Wake Forest write up sounds like they squeaked that one out while missing some players too. Now Duke and Santa Clara get to face each other this weekend. That will be interesting. Big game tomorrow before that: FSU @ UCLA.

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any predictions for FSU @ UCLA? I have a feeling the Bruins win 3-1.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are the FSU games going to be on ACCNX?

15. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    FSU games this weekend will be on PAC-12 network

16. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Was at the game yesterday. Ridiculous result: Santa Clara must've had 80% possession in the second half, and Tony da Luz refused to sub when the Wake team was clearly gassed (to the point of struggling to even push forward to midfield). Not sure the injury claim holds much water (at least for the rotation aspect... some of the Wake players were clearly hurting by the end and he kept them out there); he had a midfield sub warming up for the last 5 minutes of the first half, through halftime, and the entire second half whom he never put in the game.

Glad for the players they won (in particular the second goal was beautiful on-the-spot creativity), but if this is the most Wake has to offer then they won't be much of a threat to the better teams.

17. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The box score says possession for the game was about 50/50. Not surprising considering Wake has always been a possession oriented team, though they clearly survived an SCU offensive onslaught in the second half (though if you're up 2-0 against a team like SCU do you keep pressing or focus on possession and defending?). No idea who else was missing for them, but last year's All ACC Freshman Giovanna Dimarco wasn't in the game at all. Agree though that they're going to need to rely on that bench to get through the ACC season. Only two subs made. A quick look at their roster shows they have a very young team. There will be lots of learning this season.

Attached Files:

18. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    2-0 UCLA

19. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    That's some verrrrrry generous accounting of possession then. Wake had problems all game having any sort of sustained possession in Santa Clara's half, and the second half in particular was almost exclusively one way traffic. To the extent Wake had possession, it was 4-8 passes along the back-line and then a turnover as soon as they tried to play it forward.

Gi is hurt, I believe, and hasn't been in uniform (although she's not in any sort of boot). Not sure what her timetable for return is, but any sort of depth is welcome at this point. I do disagree slightly on the youth part: the core of the team is the junior class (Betfort, Krug, Brown, de Rossi before her redshirt)... the roster might show youth, but there's plenty of experience on the field at all times.

Hayley Younginer (the grad transfer from Wofford who led the country in goals a few years back) is legit up front and will be a problem for everyone this year, provided she gets some service (of which she had very little yesterday).

20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Watched a good part of Georgetown v. Duke: Both teams were solid defensively but both are also missing the good scoring talent they had the last two years and both really struggled to generate anything dangerous in attack.

21. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That's an understatement. The two teams combined for pretty much zero chances in 110 minutes.

re: Wake-Santa Clara, possession according to InStat was 57-43%, which is a pretty big disparity. The craziest stat is entries into the opponent's box: 33 to 4 for Santa Clara, and into the final third was 78-18. You'd usually win a game pretty comfortably with those numbers.

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where did you see numbers ascribed to inStat? Or.are those numbers from either college's websites and you just ascribed them to inStat?

23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Chris Henderson on twitter.

24. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA up 1-0, not sure if it was an onside goal, but pretty nonetheless.

25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA up 2-0, dominated the first half.