ACC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 24, 2018.

1. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    My point is they could’ve reschedule/relocate if they really wanted to. Say if Syracuse had a chance to get in the ACC tourney with a win, then they would’ve found a way to play somehow somewhere

cpthomas repped this.
  2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Duke came to play. No bunkering and unfortunately for UVA got what looks to be a significant injury to ?Peterson?

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has UVA ever won a national title in women's soccer?

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    No. They hold the title as the best program never to have won.
    This team has the quality to do it, if everything falls right.

Stanford and UNC would be their biggest impediments IMO.

Don't sleep on FSU, but they are definitely a notch behind the other 3.

5. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    This was supposed to be a year for UCLA after only losing one starter. What happened to them?

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Season is not over, but they are 13-4-1. They are still very dangerous!

7. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    No low seed dark horse this year in the ACC Tournament (though you could hardly call FSU a dark horse last year, as a 7 seed it was still fun). While we wait for the semifinal matches...

Looking at results from conference tournaments so far it just occurred to me that the SEC has more teams in its end of season conference tournament despite only having one more team than the ACC overall (10 conf tourney spots for SEC vs. 8 for the ACC). Should the ACC follow suit? Or should we just get rid of the conference tournament all together and do it like football? Of the 13 teams in the ACC only 5 programs have ever won a conference tournament championship anyways. Though last year's 7 seed Florida State team would probably object to that. Or, is the tournament fine the way it is? Anybody have thoughts?

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I personally am not a fan of the conference tourney. The kids on the teams that don’t make it get shorted on their season. The ncaa tourney is plenty

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an RPI and NCAA Tournament seeding/selection perspective, a conference tournament helps the team that wins it and usually the runner up. It's about neutral for the semi-finalists, maybe slightly beneficial. For the others, it's not good.

But, the RPI is not the only consideration. My understanding is that a number of years ago, the SEC polled its players about reducing the size of the tournament. The players did not want to, it was one of their favorite parts of the season. This makes sense, as the SEC plays its entire tournament at a neutral site, so all the players from all the teams are there together. It's a blast!

10. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    ACC coaches recognized this a few years ago when they voted to reduce the tournament to four teams, but then they voted to go right back to eight. Too many coaches have 'make conference tournament' as a contract bonus.

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a number of conferences will be revisiting their scheduling policies, including their conference tournament participation numbers, after considering what the Ivy League has done this year. Then again, maybe not.

12. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    What has the ivy done this year ?

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    All ACC teams will be interesting this year. I wonder how many of the preseason picks will retain a spot.

14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Who from UVA and others would you put on there?
    Who are definites and who are probables?

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    UVA wont get many on there. If any. The fact that they got ZERO to begin with says a lot. I cant think of a UVA starter who does not deserve to be on one of the teams. First team - McCool . the rest of the UVA kids will get overlooked.

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    If you were to make a 1st team who would you put on it?

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    My team would feature kids i like to watch who may not have the numbers others do. In the spirit of being partial, lets just say that i think McCool, Torres, Petersen are all first teamers. Ivory- probably.

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    In keeping with partiality, I'd take Deyna, Jaelin and Malia as 1st teamers.

UNC plays so many it dilutes who they get.
    Now, ignoring my team, I'd take Fox and Pinto from UNC
    I'd take McCool, Torres and Peterson in deference to your knowledge.
    Ordonez gets freshman of the year.
    Ekic from the Ville.
    I don't follow the others enough to know.
    Is there usually just a 1st team and all freshman team, or 2 teams + Freshmen?

19. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    there's normally 3 teams plus freshmen team

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    With 3 teams, I'd expect to see Yujie on 2nd or 3rd team based on preseason hype more than production.
    I'd like to see Pavlisko 3rd team, but doubt it.

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Dont defer !!. it depends what you believe the team is. Do you pick 3 CAMS who have numbers? Do you pick 3 strikers? Do you pick wingers? ACC have no real wingers bar Jarrett. ACC coaches are petrified of her. They change defensive schemes to match up.Its largely a popularity contest tho. Kid like Russo get awards for doing very little. Pinto Fox, Bell will get big awards because they are UNC. Wubben Moy will as well.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I like Pavlisko. Gritty player. I bet the Clemson RB who takes corners and has a bunch of assists gets a slot. Sumpter is another unsung heroine.

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I defer out of lack of in depth familiarity with the people on the other teams. It would be unfair for me to try, other than the ones I mentioned above.

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this will work, but try using this to get to brief explanation of what the Ivies have done, with a bigger case study to follow but probably not for a while.

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Would be more interesting to hear who the players rate/respect. I bet the list would be very different

Tom81 repped this.