ACC 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by olelaliga, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    announcer said over and over that it was her final game?

2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    She’s a Sr, so yeah. Hope a nwsl team gives her a serious look

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Have never seen her play, but at 6’1” she probably will warrant a look from something overseas. First glance at stats is not too exciting with a 1.4 GAA and a save percentage of .725
    Every keeper has big games the ones that get NWSL looks have very few off games

4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Just remember who she plays for! Miami! They're awful, and have been for her 4 years there. But they stay in games because she gets like 5-10 saves per night! She's good, she moves really well.

5. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    the warning signs have been there from very early in the year.

6. DC Cab

DC Cab New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Skokie, Illinois
    I've watched some FSU games including Miami and I cant see them going far this year, unfortunately. They have enough talent to win it all IMHO, but without calling out a player or players, one aspect of their game is way too wobbly and often bad.

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What aspect would that be--you don't need to ID a player(s).

8. DC Cab

DC Cab New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Skokie, Illinois
    I pm-ed you my opinion based on watching the games, would be hard to discuss on the open forum without ultimately identifying the player or players. But the short version is, either they're not being coached properly or they're allowing them to play that way.

9. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
  10. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Ok, so time to talk NCAAs. This is going to be really interesting. Here are my thoughts in order of who makes it in and who is out...

Locks: 1)UNC, 2)UVA, 3)Duke, 4)FSU, 5)Louisville

Bubble: 6)Wake Forest, 7)NC State, 8)Clemson and 9)Va Tech

Despite making the conference tournament, Clemson and Va Tech have less impressive resumes than Wake and NCSU. In head to head competition, Wake Forest wins out (wins over NCSU and Clemson, didn't play Va Tech). Clemson beat Va Tech and lost to Wake (didn't play NCSU).

Clemson and Va Tech still have opportunities to boost their odds though with the ACC tournament coming up.

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I think you forgot BC! Should slate them in as a lock at #4

12. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yes you're right! Revised here...

Ok, so time to talk NCAAs. This is going to be really interesting. Here are my thoughts in order of who makes it in and who is out...

Locks: 1)UNC, 2)UVA, 3)Duke, 4)Boston College, 5)FSU, 6)Louisville

Bubble: 7)Wake Forest, 8)NC State, 9)Clemson and 10)Va Tech

Despite making the conference tournament, Clemson and Va Tech have less impressive resumes than Wake and NCSU. In head to head competition, Wake Forest wins out (wins over NCSU and Clemson, didn't play Va Tech). Clemson beat Va Tech and lost to Wake (didn't play NCSU).

Clemson and Va Tech still have opportunities to boost their odds though with the ACC tournament coming up.

13. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I hope all 10teams make the ncaas. I think they all deserve it

14. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I hope teams that finish at .500 and can’t make the conference tournament wouldn’t make it in. It doesn’t mean that they are a bad team, but I don’t think they can claim that they “deserve” it.

15. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    LOL. Someone doesn't like Wake Forest. What exactly does "deserving" it mean to you? Playing against crappy teams and having a high win percentage?

16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This isn't just for the ACC, it applies to other P5 conferences that have grown so large that they are split into two divisions (but posting it here)...

Using conference tournaments as a hard line in the sand on who makes it in and who doesn't doesn't really work. Teams in these large conferences don't all get to play each other, so one team's path to the conference tournament is wildly different than another's. Wake Forest and Notre Dame's conference schedule were lightyears more challenging than UNC's or Louisville's.

This is why strength of schedule is such an important factor too, not just a team's winning percentage. For the ACC, Wake Forest and NCSU deserve to be in the tournament despite not making it to the conference tournament.

outsiderview repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wake has a very solid team and deserves to be in the tourney. They played a brutal schedule and were quite up and down, and I think let some points get away from them. They had a bad game against Notre Dame at home--a bad loss--and they let a result against Duke get away from them late; had a tie, and then gave up the winning goal.

Virginia Tech is not all that good, IMO--they could not beat two of the worst teams in the SEC (one tie, one loss). But later in the season the Hokies managed to eek out victories that they desperately needed. They beat a superior Virginia team thanks in part to a monsoon that left the field unplayable in the last 20 minutes of the game with the gobblers up 1-0. The teams played the last 20, but it was a joke as the ball would barely roll there was so much water on the field. Not quite the conditions you want to try and equalize. Notre Dame dominated statistically against the Hokies, but Va. Tech pulled out the win--and they may have secured an NCAA spot with their last-game win over Louisville. So they deserve credit for getting unexpected but crucial results.

Number007 repped this.
  18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Excellent analysis. Saw all these teams play this year. VTech by a distance the least attractive to watch. Built on a good GK, a set piece taker and physicality. In fact if you got a top class referee to do one of their games, they would end up with 9 players. Wake , Louisville even ND at least TRY to play.

19. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I don’t disagree that they are solid teams. I made a point somewhere else but then they should get rid of the conference tournament and play everyone like WCC/PAC-12. What’s the point of having a conference tournament? You benefit from not playing in the conference tournament as you will get to rest before the NCAA tournament. Mississippi State sure will be in based on their RPI, but it’s a shame because I don’t know how they “deserve it” over some of other RPI 40-50 teams that won’t get in that plays much better soccer

mpr2477 repped this.
  20. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UVA is going to be a very tough opponent in the NCAA tourney, they have all the pieces and when they all click, look out! I can see them making it to the Cup.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    FSU was absolutely dominant over Virginia last night. The stats don't tell the story of how dangerous they looked when (frequently)in Virginia territory making the final score seem inevitable from the beginning of the game.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    game was won in midfield. FSU were excellent , UVA had possibly their worst MF showing all year. UVA have to get ball to freshman wingers to be dangerous. We saw that in glimpses last night

FSA dominated MF and fully deserved the win.

23. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    this conference is nuts. When you have a match up of top 10 teams in the quarter finals???? can't wait to see what this conference does in the NCAA tourney

mpr2477 repped this.
  24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is a very strong conference, but if I'm being honest the top of the PAC 12 is stronger. Don't know about the PAC 12 middle or bottom, but USC, UCLA and Stanford are strong.
    If I'm ranking the combo of PAC and ACC the only given IMO is Stanford at #1.
    Despite ACC record, I'd say UNC then FSU with Duke and UVA being pretty even.
    UCLA and USC are also very even.

Let the NCAA tourney begin.

socalsoccer23 repped this.