ACC 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by olelaliga, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    when did they look great ? Vs UVA today they managed 3 shots at home.

2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Starting to see some separation in ACC after today’s games.

UNC 7 Syr 1
    Pinto pretty much solidified acc frosh of the year with her performance today. UNC is class of the league right now

BC 2 NCSU 0
    BC’s Coffey is really making her case for POY. State seems to be trending down atm

Duke 2 VTech 0
    Slow start for the blue devils, but McCoy and Paschal had 2nd half goals. Should have put 3 or 4 more in but McGlynn is a good gk

L’ville 3 Miami 0
    The Cards are the surprise of the league so far, take care of business

UVA 3 Notre Dame 0
    UVA looks strong and doesn’t rely on one or two scorers. Lots of options for them. ND will miss the NCAA tourney after this lackluster performance today

FSU 2 WFU 1
    FSU hangs on to get the win. Wfu is finally done their murderer’s row of top acc team. Now maybe they can start racking up a few wins a get into the NCAA tourney (high rpi)

Clemson 2 Pitt 0
    Clemson isn’t a high scoring team, but got the job done against the acc cellar dweller

After today, I’d say for sure 8 teams maybe 9 will get to the NCAA tourney
    (UNC, Duke, UVA, FSU, BC, Lville, Ncsu, Clemson & Wake )

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played well against NC State and UNC.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hangs on? Did you see the game?

5. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018

Frosh of the year? For beating Syracuse ? Relax. Please. Good player but the hype is not consistent with the performances yet. Lets let the season play out eh ? There are several ACC freshman playing every bit as well

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Well, I'm not a UNC fan, so I didn't pick her out of my love for her.....But, if UNC finishes top of the ACC (like they most likely will) the FOY will most likely go to Pinto. Who else do you see as having a chance? Only other frosh I see scoring a lot is L'ville's Whitsett. But the ACC usually doesn't give out a big award to an 8th place team (which is where I think L'ville will eventually finish)

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018

there are many candidates - Zhao FSU , Spaanstra / Jarrett UVA , Duran BC , Gray Vtech, DeMarco Wake Forest to name a few. Im not even trying that hard. Some of those have not played Pitt and or Syracuse yet.

you pick her probably because of name recognition 4g 4 a ( 1g 3a in one game vs a terrible opponent) is not considerably better than the group above. All I am saying is lets not declare the race closed and we will see come end of the year. There may be more names to add.

8. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Duke no doubt gets a lot of girls national team players in 9th grade. The odds of those same kids being the best 5 years later is not great. If this Duke team makes the final four I'll eat my shorts on Franklin street. First goal against VTech was back line V tech not communicating, not marking, and keeping player on side - very bad goal to give up.

9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Hardly going out on a limb. I think McCoy is the best target 9 ive seen and Racioppi and Stevens have talent. Duke have a lack of speed that makes player like Stevens easier to control. They really miss Dorsey because she drew attention and allowed McCoy and Stevens to play make.

mpr2477 repped this.
  10. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zhao just got tabbed as the #1 freshman in the nation by topdrawer. So seems reasonable she would have a chance at ACC FOY.

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Maybeeeeeee! We'll see.

12. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t really think there’s anything to see. And not much maybe about it. I’m not saying Zhao will win, just noting that saying Pinto is the only woman with a chance is ... not a well measured position.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to remember to use that phrase.

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    With 2 weekends of conference play to go, I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction for the regular season standings and the conference tournament.

Regular Season ACC Prediction

10-0-0 UNC
    7-2-1 BC
    7-2-1 Duke
    7-3-0 Louisville
    7-3-0 Virginia
    6-3-1 FSU
    6-4-0 Clemson
    5-5-0 VT
    4-6-0 ND
    3-5-2 NCSU
    3-7-0 WFU
    2-7-1 MIA
    0-10-0 Pitt
    0-10-0 Syr

This outcome would produce 8 for the ACC tournament from Virginia Tech on up on the list above, but while I'm pretty confident about the top 6, NCSU, Notre Dame, and WFU are all capable of a late season hot streak and could push Clemson and VT out of the tournament.

Looking ahead, a potential sad story is Wake Forest which has arguably the toughest schedule in DI soccer this season and an ARPI ranking of 25, but unless they really turn the corner these last two weeks, will not have the requisite .500 to make the NCAA tournament.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The Louisville loss was a killer for Wake. They will beat Syracuse, obviously, because Syracuse as a soccer team barely exists in this or any other potential reality, and will probably give a good fight but lose to UNC, so the season really hinges on the Clemson game. Win that and they finish .500.

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    BC play UNC and Duke on the road. Given raod for - loss to Wake tie with Miami - hard to see them winning either game. Having them go 2-1 is optimistic imo . 1-2 more likely.

I think Duke go worst case 2-0-1 Louisville could easily go 0-3

mpr2477 repped this.
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 for UVA is a great player. UVA has a bunch of young stars!

Number007 repped this.
  18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    It’s gonna be a dogfight for that 8th and final spot in the acc tourney. (Vtech, NCSU, WFU and ND all fighting for it. They all play higher placed teams. Vtech prob has the best shot)

19. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If Wake beats UNC they get the reward of.... playing UNC again.

The ACC should get 10 teams in the NCAAs this year.

The Duke vs. Notre Dame game will be interesting. Duke has been winning but not leaving any margin for error. They are very beatable.

20. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    I watched some of VT/Clem and NCSU/Lville. VT v Lville will be a battle like the Clemson game today. NCSU had a senior in a knee brace and 2 Germans not on field. NCSU seems a different team from earlier in season with injuries.

Tough to see who gets the nod at #8 (and who really needs it for another L?)

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I agree with your analysis (if we assume that Clemson will beat Syracuse.) It will then boil down to which of those four teams beats its favored opponent on Thursday

If only one of those four wins on Thursday then they get the 8th spot. If two of the trio of VT, ND, and WF win, then I presume it would be decided on their head to head results...except that if it's WF and VT they did not play each other this year. Then what? If all four of the teams above loose their game on Thursday, then with three of them having identical ACC records how is this decided -again with the fact that only ND has played the other two.

But if 'Cuse rises up and smites Clemson it is possible that there might be a multiple team tie for 7th. But I agree with your analysis... VT is the betting favorite for #8.

22. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    #72 mpr2477, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    ACC Tourney games this Sunday will be

1 UNC vs 8 V Tech
    2 Duke vs 7 FSU (seriously?! )
    3 UVA vs 6 Lville
    4 BC vs 5 Clemson

That’s a crap draw again for Duke! 2nd time in 3 years we’ve got an underachieving (reg season) FSU team that is way better then their seed

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Hard to believe FSU could only manage 7th place in the conference, but they've struggled at times to score goals despite a ton of possession. Tonight they had 25 shots to 1 for Miami (and corners were 11-0, I believe), and Miami amazingly won the game on its only shot on goal in OT. I give credit to Krikorian: He seems to be quite magnanimous in defeat, usually, giving credit to opponents that park the bus and win. A lot of coaches would look at the stats of this game and be a bit salty, with good reason--soccer!

sweepsit repped this.
  24. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I’m telling you, Tullis Joyce is a very good keeper. She’s got pro potential

25. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe he needs to get fired up and call out his team as not playing to their potential. Maybe he needs to get mad at these players. Maybe he needs to fire this team up to get them leaving their heart out there. No doubt that players want to win but chemistry is just flat and stars need to perform and GK needs to perform.

DC Cab and Number007 repped this.