Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    There are going to be some upset freshmen...

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The incoming freshman have already signed. They will get their money. It is a contract.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  3. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    At the school where I live the weight room is open, the training room is open and they are providing prepackaged meals and even housing for athletes. But the NCAA already said, if there is no in person classes, there are no sports. So it will be interesting to see what the rest of the schools do moving forward... Seems like the NCAA has been really hands off and is letting the conferences and school kinda make decisions on their own.

4. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Which has showcased, IMO, terrible leadership from the NCAA. With the way soccer and many other Olympic sports is set up, the RPI system is going to be crazy with some conferences being gone, some playing 8 games, and others playing close to 14 games (if there is a fall). The NCAA asking coaches for advice when they should be deferring to the CMO.

The NCAA need to focus on football for the fall (schools need the money) and push all other sports to the spring. Tough for administrations but the right move for the kids.

5. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where are you getting that info. There are a lot of programs back already using the lorckerrooms, training as a group (well more than 5), and scheduled to have fall classes on campus.

6. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1481 PlaySimple, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    I hope that you're right about the last part - that fall classes will be on campus. One of my kids has already received notice that two of her five classes will be remote. I honestly expect other classes to follow and will be surprised if they don't. I hope I'm wrong.

Universities and schools everywhere are taking this one day at a time and it is an ever-evolving situation. One is true today might not be true a month from now, a week from now, or even a day from now.

Fitballer repped this.
  7. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Got the info first hand from the coaching staff during a zoom call last week. I guess it depends on which school you are at, but this one I'm speaking of is on lock down with all fall classes online and very restrictive state mandates. With the speed things are evolving this could all change tomorrow, but that was the last info the parents and players received.

Fitballer repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the 20-21 thread has started, here are what I believe are the final turnover numbers after the 19-20 year, plus some history:

upload_2020-8-13_22-5-30.png

St Peters remains open.

9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How does the 42 changes compare to most years? Imagine next year we will see far fewer changes.

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Statistically currently for women's soccer at the Division I level 72% of head coaches are male, 28% are female. For all female sports at the D1 level, 57% of head coaches are male, 43% are female.

Of the 245 programs with male head coaches, 32 of those programs have a male head coach with all female assistants. So that makes up 9% of all programs, and of just the male head coach-led programs the number with all female assistants the number is 13%. I don't have the figures of how many programs are an all-female staff (like WVU as an example) but would have to imagine it's small.

The number of minority female coaches is even smaller. Just 4 black female head coaches in all of D1 women's soccer, which is 1.1%. The number of minority coaches in general (male or female) for D1 women's soccer is paltry and a lot of work is needed to diversify the game.

Would love to see the numbers of female coaches increase. Getting it closer to 50-50, or at least closer to what we see at the rest of the D1 sports to 57-43 would be a great step. Hope there are more female coaches coming through and looking at college coaching as a legit career path. And hoping more females take on licensing and gaining experience and getting careers based on their credentials. I loved watching the film about Tracy Hamm's experience and how she licensed overseas to overcome a silly USSF requirement. Need more female coaches to continue to make those kinds of steps and commitment as we need more female coaches coaching in women's college soccer.

ytrs repped this.
  11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number in 2019 was 37. I have not done the numbers for earlier years, but I think both 2020 and 2019 are in a pretty normal range.

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Another thought is how many college coaches choose to leave the business in light of this virus mess. I saw that the UNC baseball coach decided to retire earlier than he had planned to, after experiencing a more relaxing lifestyle during quarantine. To some, the 'are we' or 'aren't we' playing this year, next year ... may not be worth the headaches.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1488 Cliveworshipper, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020

Mike Fox probably isn’t a great example to use as a guideline for most coaches.( great coach, btw)

with 37 years at unc he is eligible for retirement at his current salary regardless of age. In addition, he won’t have to pay the 6% retirement fund contribution. If he was going to go at 65 or so ( he’s 64) he comes out ahead financially. ( his contract was to 2023 and is at max level In the 2020_2021 year)
    he probably had time to read the decision guide. https://hr.unc.edu/files/2019/01/mandatory-retirement-plan-decision-guide.pdf

i have no idea what that does to his personal services contracts with Lear and Nike.

14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CpThomas, any idea of how many of the hires last year went to minority candidates? It's interesting to see how many universities and colleges are talking about diversity and inclusion right now in light of recent events pertaining to racial injustice. Yet in many of these institutions the hiring and recruitment of minority candidates is abysmal. My guess for D1 women's soccer in particular that the number of minority head coaches is probably around 1-2%. Girls club soccer hasn't exactly been a bastion for minority players either given locations, costs, and existing infrastructure and that small pool limits the players to recruit from..

As far as I know Southern Utah, American, UNLV, Western Michigan (promoting interim to head), and HBCUs of South Carolina State and Alcorn State were minority hires this past year (did I miss anyone?). So that's 8% of last year's hires, unless I am missing someone. Which is a bit better than in the past but still a long ways to go if we want this sport to say it's truly diverse and inclusive.

15. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is true but the ones that could potentially be affected are the rising high school seniors that haven't verbally committed and the younger players. I would look for a slight decrease in the needs of programs over the next few years due to current players having eligibility. And while I don't think it would be a good thing for programs to do, I can envision some verbal commitments being rescinded.

16. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Another issue that contributes to a lack of minority coaches is the expense of licensing. Has anyone seen how expensive it is to get advanced licensure? It absolutely is a barrier for some. Many college coaches have worked their way up from a high level club background. In order to coach at a high level in club soccer, advanced licensing is needed more often than not.

That said, I know of many coaches that have their A licenses or other high level licenses that are not great coaches. Being able to teach is a huge part of coaching and many with lower level licenses are, quite frankly, better teachers.

Fitballer repped this.
  17. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    What a mirage licenses.......Do football, basketball, baseball, volleyball etc.. have licenses? Nope.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1493 Cliveworshipper, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I think any sport attached to or aspiring to be an Olympic sport will have certification, which often attaches liability insurance to the certification and dues.

https://usafootball.com/development-training/certification/

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-volleyball/education/coaching-education-programs

https://www.usabaseball.com/news/us...aches-certification/c-307717322?tid=216639934

https://community.usab.com/

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1494 Cliveworshipper, Aug 15, 2020

I know at least some places the cost of licensing to a higher level is born by the employer. I’m not sure how widespread that is.
    and license fees in places like Spain and Germany have license fees a quarter of what USA fees are.
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2016/07/the-high-cost-of-american-coaching/

Not surprisingly, they have more certified coaches. In Iceland, virtually every head coach down to u8 has a UEFA A or B license. That’s one UEFA certified coach for every 500 Icelanders. ( England,which has similar fees to the USA, has one UEFA coach for every 10,000 citizens).

20. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Plenty of coaches, both successful and not, at every level of college woso lacking licensing beyond a C or D (and at some places not at all). Men’s side, maybe not as much, but definitely on the women’s side. And I, for one, have never been asked by an AD about my licensing.

outsiderview repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the 41 new head coaches (I am not including Western Michigan), 34 are white, 5 are black, and 2 appear to be latinex (if that is the right term).

15 are female and 26 are male.

These numbers include the coaches for the three teams new to Division I: Bellarmine, Dixie State, and UC San Diego (1 white male and 2 white females).

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1497 Cliveworshipper, Aug 15, 2020
    I assume you mean a gender difference
    Spanish convention, is/was as follows:

if both are male, Latino.
    If both are female, Latina.
    if you have any other mix, say, one male and 5,000 female, Latino.

(hey! All men are created equal)

no idea on the new pronouns. I haven’t even figured out all the possibilities in English, but in Argentina you might see something like latines for alternate gender identification other places might use the x.

23. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looked up the number of programs with minority head coaches. I am sure I may be missing some programs so for the readers here that are more knowledgeable about the landscape than me please feel free to chime in and add on (I feel like I am missing some Latino coaches for sure). But what I see for now is there are 21 Division I women's soccer programs with minority head coaches. Out of 341 programs, all minorities combined make up 6% of all D1 head coaches out there which is pretty awful. In particular the African-American population makes up 13% of the US population but for D1 women's soccer coaches that are female that number is just 1.1%.

This is the list of schools. If they are an HBCU they have a * listed in case anyone wanted to see denotation.
    *Alabama A&M
    *Alcorn State
    American
    Binghamton
    Boston College
    Brown
    Florida International
    *Hampton
    Houston
    *Howard
    Middle Tennessee State
    *Mississippi Valley State
    Nevada
    *South Carolina State
    *Southern
    Southern Utah
    TCU
    UNC Asheville
    UNLV
    USC
    Western Michigan

When Hope Solo ran for USSF President in 2018 she stated "My family would not have been able to afford to put me in soccer if I was a young kid today, That obviously alienates so many communities, including Hispanic communities, the black communities, the rural communities and under-represented communities. Soccer, right now, has become a rich, white kid sport.". She's spot on unfortunately. And she's just talking about the youth and club levels. The lack of diversity is even worse at the college level, both with players and as we can see with the small number of minority coaches. Really, really hope that these institutions out there clamoring for inclusiveness presently in the current climate actually do something about this alarming lack of diversity.

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  24. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    I grew up with Hope, she's full of crap with her claims and her book.She made it out to seem like she was in poverty there. Tri Cities (Richland) is not a poor place at all, she lived with a rich family, and the soccer there is the most affordable of any place I've lived. Club dues today are $600 a year for the most competitive club team in the region. Back then, it was $300 per year, and she was supported by a rich family. She exaggerates like no other. But was a kick ass athlete and fun to watch in Basketball and Soccer as she scored a ton of goals from the forward position for Richland High.

The topic above about very low numbers of black coaches at the D-1 level, it is low. But isn't women's soccer in general very low for competitive black players in college? I mean outside of the HBCU leagues, I would guess that the ethnic make up of D-1 teams has 5 to 10 percent at most of roster that is black. That means 1-3 kids on average that have that ethnic make-up. We need to find a way to get inner city kids and ethnic kids in general to play the game here in America. I live in an area that is very diverse, lots of black students in the high schools, but on the local teams both club and high school, only 2 kids of color. I don't know why this is, but they just don't play the game.

People say cost, cost is too much. But not true, AYSO registration for soccer, $60 for the season and includes uniform. High school soccer, free, no charge. Competitive club here, not much of a team as they only do small local tournaments, but $500 a year. So that is the mystery, why don't more females with ethnic background play the game? Do we need to market it better and get role models for them to follow like Crystal Dunn and Jess McDonald both whom I love and admire. Might not be answers to these questions, but would love to hear opinions. Until we get more black players/ ethnically diverse women's players in the game, the percentage of Black coaches and ethnically diverse coaches will remain small.

25. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Footyballs, though I'm sure you mean well I feel like your comments are slightly naive.

1.) You're looking at the cheapest and least competitive level of soccer as the basis of your argument. Not impossible but very unlikely to have the majority of players recruited from this level. At some point, most players who excel will leave AYSO soccer in order to keep growing (whether it is the correct decision or not), THEN $$ becomes an issue with costs/travel of these high level teams skyrocketing.

2.) The highest levels (ECNL/DA(GAL)) begin well before high school which provides (or should provide) an advantage to players who have the ability to pay. Let's say a player plays with a DA/GAL program from U12 to high school. This player should have the advantage with access to what is meant to be (not always) better coaching, resources, and competition. Who do you think gets selected for high school between this player and an AYSO player?

3.) Using one small city/area as the basis for a national issue is unlikely to mirror what using a more random, widespread sampling size would be.

4.) Did you watch the national final and see the diversity on the field compared to what it was on the touchline? I think diversity within the sport is much higher than you make it out to be. Diversity within coaching remains well below those numbers.

Unfortunately there are barriers to entry that disproportionately effect minorities in the current model. Just my two cents.

Obviously this is not the place to discuss this but I would love to continue this discussion somewhere more appropriate.

Carolina92 repped this.