Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    So I'm curious any college California coaches on here, how will covid effect your seasons? CCAA cancelled all fall sports already in California, don't know if that covid risk, or just struggling financially in the state for budgets as I've heard 1.7 billion in university education funding in CA this year.

If for safety, how can they justify closing all schools for D-2, and athletics, but not cancelling for D-1 schools like USC, Stanford, ect? For fall sports cancelled, will they have a spring soccer season just for their conference only to play each other, or that be cancelled for the year as well. Poor kids on those teams, can they transfer to states that aren't cancelling? I heard Cal Stat Fullerton cancelled in person classes a month ago, a full 4 months before school start, lol, sucks for their athletes. Some parts of California very very low infection rates compared to New York or others. And youth, 50 and below has such a low risk for mortality its statistically at zero. Just curious how this effects teams, hiring, firing, pay freezes if will be similar to Boise State furlow of their coaches last month that will cost each about 1/3rd of their annual salaries. No I don't go on any other feeds, not going to track down a covid feed as this page is reason I follow the gossip in college soccer. So if any have insight and willing to share, genuinely interested in your input if you have knowledge of the situation.

2. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    The Cal State system cancelled all in person classes for the fall. The CCAA has 12 or 13 CSU schools in the 14 team conference, so they basically had no choice. The CCAA wasn't making a statement of any kind other than we have no teams who can play.

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    CCAA has not cancelled the soccer season. It has suspended it, with expectation to play at another time during the academic year (likely spring).

CCAA SUSPENDS NCAA COMPETITION FOR FALL 2020

CCAA member institutions have determined that NCAA sport competition will not occur during the fall of 2020. The CCAA member institutions will continue to advocate strongly to maintain NCAA championship opportunities for all of our student-athletes, including our fall sports, during the 2020-21 academic year and recommend competition resume when it is safe and appropriate to do so for all of its members. Additional information regarding plans for athletics in fall and spring will be communicated as soon as it becomes available.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cal State schools are not necessarily prevented from having sports. Their campuses are not completely closed for the Fall, rather those students that need to be on campus due to their courses will be allowed to be there -- for example, students that need to be in labs. I suspect that this will be sufficient to allow athletes likewise to be on campus, but I do not believe that is decided yet.

A big issue that may differentiate schools with greater financial resources from those with lesser resources will be what the protocols will be for students who are on campus. These will include protocols about testing, housing, gatherings and distancing, what happens if a student tests positive in terms of providing health care, quaranteening, and housing both for that student and other students who have come in contact with him or her, and requirements for student contracts about conduct related to the pandemic ... and so on. Carrying out the protocols is going to cost money that some school may not be able to afford. Schools currently are in the process of trying to figure all of these things out.

Fitballer and HeadSpun repped this.
  5. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018

So soccer, a fall sport for the rest of the nation, will have an NCAA championship opportunity in the spring, with only their own conference? They'll play each team in their own conference, have playoffs, and declare the winner of the CCAA the national champion! wahoo, sounds about right.

CP Thomas above said that funding is an issue for smaller schools, I agree it will play out big nationwide with many schools in reduced staffs now and shortened seasons with less travel, gear ect. It'll be interesting watching Stanford/USC/Cal Bears argue why they should have classes and a season when mid major schools or D-2's in the state may not. Money is the only reason I can hear them argue, because health concerns shouldn't be any different between neighboring schools.

6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Keep in mind that in most of California, soccer is a winter sport for high schools (Monday after Thanksgiving until early March). For USSF-sanctioned youth play, it is a year-round sport.

7. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
  8. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Good for her to get out of what on the outside looks like a tough situation at St. Peters. Still think it's crazy that their head coaching position was listed as part-time.

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we now are down to two openings: St Peters and Marist.

PoptartKing repped this.
  10. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Marist is down to final 3 and they met with team. JM, KS, and BK Very good pool of coaches

11. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Agree-because if Marist pool was FJ AR PT it would be a very poor pool

USsoccerguy and BigBear repped this.
  12. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brittany Kolmel (formerly Taylor) to Marist. Don’t know her as a club coach but do recall she was a very good player at UConn.

Vadbill7 repped this.
  13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we still are waiting for St Peters to fill their head coaching position. That would be the last one I know of. Does anyone know anything about their situation?

14. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    So coaches that were on the hot seat this year. . .Do you think they get a pass because of COVID or will some admins still pull the trigger if contracts were up at the end of the year even if they don't get to play any games this season.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It probably depends on that coach's relationship with the AD/staff. If they are a difficult employee they are likely out regardless, and, if they are an otherwise quality employee maybe they get a one year extension.

16. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I think a lot of coaches may get a 1 year extension when their administrations weren't planning on it.

At the same time, if you've had a bad run the past couple years and you're at a school that isn't in as much trouble as others it could be an easy time to make a switch.

17. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    With budgets hurting, it is cheaper to maintain the status quo. I also think you will see a general reprioritization of athletics that will see Olympic sports fall down the ladder of importance, which will lead to significant budget cuts, conferences realigning regionally, and maintaining the status quo when it comes to coaches.

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Peters remains vacant. It occurs to me that, with the possibiity that the MAAC will follow the lead of the Ivy League and not play soccer this Fall, they might be leaving the position vacant on purpose in order to save $$$.

Fitballer and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  19. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    St Peter's is a part time head coaching position. How much would they really be saving? If they lose one player that would cover the salary for the coach. I'm sure they will have a small roster this fall.

Doubtful the MAAC is following Ivy or Patriot League decisions. The will follow the NEC, America East with what they decide.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, MAAC, America East, and Northeast are the top 2 suppliers of non-conference opponents for each other. On the other hand, the Ivy and Patriot are the next 2 suppliers for each of those three. I have been watching all five conferences, to see if they will do the same thing. If one of the remaining three elects to not play in the Fall, it will be interesting to see what the other two do.

21. Chris Mahr

Chris Mahr New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2019
    Guys lets be really honest here, there isn't going to be fall sports. There is a slow trickly down but everyone is going to go the same way as the Ivy league.

22. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #1474 Gryphons Dad, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    I agree. IF there is a season, players have already been told they can't use the locker room, can't eat at the athletic cafeteria, can't use the weight room, can't train more than five at a time on the field, no training room or facilities will be open, and all Fall classes are online. So they want these players to go back to campus with all these restrictions and sit in their dorms for online classes just to play in an empty stadium? I can tell you that the players I've talked to aren't down with playing an abridged season like that, especially the seniors who are in their last year. Most are already talking about redshirting. I say just call it, tentatively push back to Spring, and worst case Fall 2021.

Fitballer and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  23. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    If all seniors redshirt then with all the freshmen coming in the rosters will be huge and not enough of the promised money to go around.