Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how random anonymous posters want to throw around "ethics" and "bad character" about someone...o_O

Hammers05, Socr4evaH and ytrs repped this.
  2. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Ponchat you don't even believe facts when people present you with them so maybe moral and ethical topics are areas you should stay away from. You're the last person anyone will give any credibility to when discussing ethics so maybe stay away from something that isn't in your wheelhouse.

I know Molly a bit and think she's a nice lady with a good head coaching career ahead of her. I am sure she will do a good job at Dixie.

3. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    good for Molly. I don't blame her one bit. if you get a better opportunity then you take it. especially a chance to get into the power 5 ranks if that's your goal. I'm sure the head coach at Omaha understood and supported the move. most head coaches do support their assistants and encourage them to take better opportunities. best of luck to Molly at Dixie State.

ytrs repped this.
  4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean actual facts? Not outdated NCAA rules that someone claimed were "facts"? Yes, I remember those.

Not one time have I questioned anyone morally, ethically, or their character. Get off your high horse, you add nothing here.

5. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    So update, had our first round of head coaches meetings for mid major and the skinny is this, a lot of crap is going to change for mid major D-1 programs this fall. The power 5's have so much money it won't touch them much, and create a bigger divide I think for the middle class schools to keep up. NCAA funding to schools next year will be 60 to 65 percent less, meaning $500,000 to $1,000,000 less for most mid majors which is 10 percent of annual budgets on the higher end. The second hit is coming from fear of enrollment decline caused by covid, schools are tightening belts expecting 10 to 20 percent possible less enrollment from fears of being infected, especially for schools that have nationwide enrollment rather then stay near home schools which we aren't. So that could be another ten percent of athletic budget set aside. Not having students on campus this fall if they stay online for classes, obviously kills our season, but even if moved to spring would greatly damage it too as no income for un-used dorms, meal plans, book store, ect. That scenario would strip us bare for the seasons for the year for funding.

So, still getting details, but on the table in worst case scenario, I heard big sky is discussing is cancelling all non-conference games and having later report in date instead of early August, near end of August when school starts, also cancelling conference playoff, and just having winner of conference get automatic bid which most of us mid majors only get one team in anyways. How much would that suck for these seniors, only 10 games on the year, half of the season played. No rivalry games out of conference or travel? Hope that doesn't get votes of support next week.

For us, proposal is to cut all travel further than 5 hours distance which is about 20 percent of our schedule. Only play regional games, try to do day trips there and back with no hotel rooms to cut budget. Cutting part time assistant coaches pay which is all we had anyways. No new uniforms, no custom gear (Adidas factories are shut down now anyways so can't produce the custom gear in time at this point for the fall). Trying to have us re-use as much old gear as possible. Will be interesting. Trying to have us scale back our 20 game season to minimum of about 13 games is all for the season. Camps, all camps cancelled this summer, no camps, no recruiting, no expenses at all. Going to be interesting for 2021 recruits to be seen if nation is on a dead period recruiting ban all summer and can't run any camps to see them. Hopping they don't trim salary. I got a feeling that we're going to get a lot more axed, that this is just the first round.

For cutting sports, I don't think many will.. But I have heard in talks they were looking at cutting baseball for some, and a women's sport, haven't heard what one, but whatever saves them the most money if schools do such as soccer or softball... The core sports won't get touched. Hiring freezes at most places right now or delays I should say for new workers until the fall so can save salaries.

6. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    also hearing a later start date for the fall. No conference tournaments seem to be a real possibility so regular season winner goes to the NCAA tournament. Limited non-conference travel, limited equipment budget (if any) has been touted too. It is going to be an interesting fall.

ping repped this.
  7. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    would be interesting to see how NCAA handles tournament if teams only play conference schedules. a lot of teams that usually make the NCAA tournament from the power 5 schools won't be eligible because they likely wouldn't be above .500 just playing a conference schedule

Footyballs, SuperHyperVenom and ping repped this.
  8. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    and how would it affect the RPI for at large bids? Or will conference winners just qualify with a much reduced national tournament.

9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Totally think it’s necessary and great to be discussing contingency plans right now, at national, regional, conference, and university level...obviously no vaccine for 12-18 months, hopefully a proven treatment sooner but no guarantees...

However, I think it’s CRAZY to be making actual decisions about August/September in mid-April or even May. At least as far as cancelling games/tournaments etc. if that’s really going to happen in the next week or two.

Too add to what has been said tonight: I’ve heard more than one D1 conference is discussing elimination of part or all of non conference schedule, and one conference discuss paring down their regular season schedule and going to divisions to reduce travel costs.

just think it’s crazy to make decisions now, and also crazy if football teams end up getting full season and soccer doesn’t. Would prefer a push back and most of season played or even a spring season though not practical for many schools.

Footyballs, ytrs and sockerdad06 repped this.
  10. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    Footyballs repped this.
  11. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    If there are no non-conference games and the committee utilizes RPI as a main factor - There will be an equal number of teams in the NCAA tournament from each conference. The WAC would get the same as the ACC.

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    If this happens (cutting the season short), how many freshman delay entry to college? Take a gap year, and enroll in the spring or next fall.

I agree it is way too early to rearrange schedules.

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    even better the SWAC would have the same number!

Footyballs repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there are no non-conference games, the RPI simply will not work. The Committee knows this and so does the NCAA staff. The results of the in-conference competition would be the clear way to rank teams within their conferences. Choosing any participants other than the conference champions would not work, assuming the NCAA continues its pollicy that only current season results can be used for selection purposes.

The logical effect would be that there would be a 32 position bracket for the tournament, if there is to be one, not a 4 position bracket. There are 31 conferences, so one team would get a first round bye. The entire bracket, including who gets the bye, would be determined by a completely blind draw.

It would provide for some interesting early round matchups both of strong and of weak teams. But, ultimately, the best team should be able to win.

I cannot see any reasonable alternative that would be consistent with NCAA long-time policies.

ping repped this.
  15. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    The decisions about the fall schedule are not necessarily out of fear of the coronavirus, but are budgetary decisions due to the lack of income from the NCAA Basketball Tournament, and that's why those decisions are being made now. Schools are planning for the budgetary shortfalls and how to best cut budgets while meeting NCAA minimums for competition.

ping repped this.
  16. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Any news on the few last remaining hires and positions open? I heard Tarleton State (who was supposed to hire a coach and start recruiting as they are looking to add a soccer program in 2021 was the goal), will be delaying the hire and program now. I'm guessing due to budget maybe and the lack of tournaments to recruit at. But they closed the position for head coach without hire, and at some future time maybe before 2022 look to hire a coach as they aim to transition into the WAC in the future. Alcorn State on phone interviews I heard this week. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

17. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I believe this is the list

South Carolina State
    Marist
    Saint Peter’s
    Holy Cross
    Alcorn State
    Canisius

For me, Marist looks the best available spot in terms of how they've been in previous years. I'm surprised Canisius and Marist haven't just gone straight to the assistants with everything going on (I say this knowing nothing about the background of their top assistants).

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard today that NCAA is talking about either a delayed start to the fall season athletically (and shortened). The start may be a mid-September date.

That's better than the alternative of potentially NO athletics at all during the fall and trying to restart athletics in January 2021.

Sledhead repped this.
  19. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    We've been told that preseason would start when school does, and the season would be cut to 14 games with conferences likely to eliminate their tournaments.

20. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Makes sense! Better something than nothing. Let's see the kids that can self discipline and get themselves fit. Shotgun start to preseason!!

Sledhead repped this.
  21. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would rather see a full season played in the spring. if I'm one of those kids especially younger I'm not wasting a year of eligibility on a just conference season.

ytrs repped this.
  22. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Canisius has hired the present asst Ryan Louis as the new head coach

PoptartKing repped this.
  23. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is probably more appropriate for the "Corona Season" thread.

I've actually been hearing of kids that are seniors in high school considering taking a gap year and not starting college right away if there are only virtual classes being offered in the fall. I can't say that I blame them. If I were a freshman I would want to be on campus to begin my collegiate experience. Granted, the kids and families that I have heard that are considering this are not athletes, but I do believe that it is conceivable that an athlete might consider this as well. If this does happen, it will change the dynamics of recruiting for a few cycles.

IMHO, if there is not any sort of fall season, and I am cautiously optimistic that there will be, there will not be a spring season. Mixing in the fall sports with the spring sports will be chaotic and many universities will not have the resources to support that many sports occurring simultaneously.

24. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree. I just wonder if they’re going to play football in the spring how they can get around not playing volleyball, m/w soccer?

I’d like to see them push everything back a few months; start of school, start of fall sports, therefore start of winter and spring, let them go into June/July. Start on time for 21-22

25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this. Their roster page does not show this change, but their athletics directory indeed shows Ryan Louis as interim head coach.