Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    But you judge her ethics on a situation you do not know. Let's play hypothetical scenario here ... what if she endured sexual harassment and chose to leave. Would you question her ethics then? What if she saw some other unethical activity there that she could not support. Would you question her ethics then? Can we all be a little more mature and less judgmental as adults? We don't know her situation.

ThePonchat repped this.
  2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Totally understand your questions. That isn’t my understanding of that situation but let me ask someone who is more familiar with her and what happened.

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit already. This is nowhere close to an ethical dilemma. Zero ethics involved.

Some of you people are just ridiculous with your claims.

ytrs repped this.
  4. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Back to the hot seat for 2020 here is what I got:

Sean Fraser- ULM

any additions?

5. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Lol, I doubt ULM coach is on hot seat. He just made some knucklehead decisions as a new coach, some violations. Slap on the wrist. I've had a coach in my conference, drive down to a players house 3 months before in person contact was allowed, meet with her parents and family and offer her. She verbally commits, then he says oh I didn't realize it was too early, a violation, and self reports. Slap on the wrist violation, but hell, he gets the best player in the conference when she arrived and helped his situation with that move. Shady stuff happens. I don't condone it, but if no harsh penalties, nothing will deter them.

As for hot seat, I put all small colleges and mid major D-1 programs struggling financially on the 2020 hot seat. Just got an emergency call notice for tomorrow for all our head coaches, funding for NCAA D-1 has been slashed up to 60 percent for small schools because March Madness and 360 million dollar contract got cancelled, so already a shortfall for all schools, hurts the smaller ones the most who count on that extra million or two a year from NCAA.

Then the double whammy when I spoke to my AD tonight on the phone, college football season and all fall sports might be shortened if covid doesn't drastically decline. Can't have the students report back to school at the end of July, early August if school is still closed, and enrollment numbers for all colleges and funding are in jeopardy, even if do online distance learning classes, we don't fill our dorms, charge them meal plans, sell books, parking permits ect. We'll lose 30 percent of our annual operating budget at the University if they don't open for fall, so things like sports will become non-essential. If football season shortened, even just a few games which is what their talking about, that's another $250,000 plus in lost revenue. Solution rumors, cutting down schedules for all fall sports to the bare minimum, that'd be 14 D-1 soccer games, reporting in later, cancelling first two weeks of season, and no flights at all for fall which F's our schedule. Plan B, cut non-essential sports, which for some schools will be soccer. So I'm holding my breath hoping this shit go's away fast or I'll end up un-employed potentially. Will learn more in about ten hours, and then ongoing updates from NCAA as situation unfolds.

6. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020

Sadly I think we could see some sports being cut. Women’s soccer could be in jeopardy but I could see softball being at a higher risk as the costs are a lot more.

7. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    If they are using the reasoning nonessential sports and are able to get away with
    It- they would’ve done that years ago. Title 9 will not go away because of covid 19

8. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    What would go away is a chunk of operating budgets. Maybe decreased scholarship budgets. Decreased game schedule. Decreased staffing in one less asst coach. 20 to 30 percent salary reductions. I doubt cutting of programs.

9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Budget cuts are already happening. I've heard from coaches. Trips getting cancelled. Reschedules happening.

But, the alternative is already being discussed too -- expanding preseason to start earlier. This adds to budgets. Will be interesting to see how far that may go.

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If there is a fall season it will be a year most ADs won’t care as much about records when considering letting coaches go. Way more important things to be occupied with. Of course coaches will still need to follow Compliance and act professionally, but other than that I don’t expect to see many changes after fall 2020 based just on performance.

I too have heard of budget cuts and potential of employees to be furloughed or let go. There will programs that will be suspended from play this year and some that may not come back. Men’s sports would get affected first due to Title IX and then women’s sports. Decisions regarding football and if students are back on campus this fall will dictate a lot of this. These are scary times. And it doesn’t matter what we want the timing to be, it all comes down to what the public health situation is. Dr. Fauci optimistically said there’s a good chance schools could be open this fall, so there’s a silver lining. Wondering what that means for sports and crowds is a different question,

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is exactly right. If women's and men's sports currently are balanced correctly under Title IX, then both can be "pared back," but they would have to be pared back equally in order to maintain the proper balance. This probably would have to apply to an array of factors -- length of season, numbers of competitions, numbers of scholarships, staff pay levels, etc. The pain would have to be shared equally. Of course, if a school is out of balance now in favor of men (when they're not supposed to be), then men's sports should bear the greater burden.

12. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A lot of conferences require women’s soccer to be sponsored as a sport for membership, where some do not require men’s soccer (obviously!) or sports like tennis, golf, track/cc, even volleyball or softball in some instances. Of course we could see a moratorium on that requirement but it may force some schools to keep soccer so they don’t lose conference revenue.

13. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Do you have to turn everything into sexual harassment or sexism?

She made a positive move that was best for her. That isn't ethics. Did it put the head coach in a tough spot? I am sure it did. He is an adult and it happens in every sport in every division. She was supposed to say no to a pay raise and a considerable promotion due to "ethics." If he wanted to protect himself, put her on a contract. She made a good decision and it paid off.

I for one am for the hire. She worked her way up and I am sure is as ready as one can be to be a first time head coach.

14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I did not turn it into that at all. I defended her career moves on every post. I even said I was surprised Dixie got someone with her qualifications. I just posted a hypothetical situation because another poster was calling her unethical for making a good professional decision. Did you actually read my posts? :rolleyes:

ping repped this.
  15. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Yup. Most assistant coaches get put on at-will contracts, and the second the head coach leaves for another job, the loyalty from that school goes straight out the window. If you want a commitment from a coach, you have to give them something for that commitment, otherwise, all's fair! And if you're at Omaha, you expect to be a stepping stone. Don't hold it against her that she was able to step up a little quicker than maybe even she thought was possible.

ytrs repped this.
  16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Rouse left Omaha because Iowa was a better job is all there is to it according to another big ten assistant who knows her. I get the reason but jumping ship after a few months to me is just a sign you can’t be trusted. I know others on this forum disagree with me, and that’s all good. Similarly there are coaches that agree with my viewpoint if you hire someone and they bail on you after a few months without even coaching a season with the program that is some messed up values.

Footyballs and Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  17. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    She did nothing wrong Ponchat said so.

ThePonchat repped this.
  18. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Yeah I read your post. So your answer to "because another poster was calling her unethical" is to mention sexual harassment? To even mention that in a post is reckless, misleading, irresponsible, and unethical! There is no reason for it. It isn't why she left by numerous accounts. Stick to soccer and stop picking sexist fights. You lose credibility.

19. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Getting back to the hot seat:

I heard ULM coach illegally contacted an NAIA player so maybe they’re hot?!

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Nah ... then you did not read my posts. I said hypothetical. I also said I was not casting any suspicion on Omaha as I know nothing about why she left. For ********s sake I have defended her career decisions on every post as logical. I just used a hypothetical situation that is common in the workplace. Why are you so hot and bothered? Been accused of it yourself?? I don't pick sexist fights. I defend hires that are unjustifiably attacked. You seem defensive. Doth protest too much.

ping and ThePonchat repped this.
  21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Agree to disagree on ethics. She coached an entire spring season for them. Head Coach would have taken the raise and promo too. But you also seem to take the word of a third party. Ask her, or don't judge her. It really is not that hard.

ThePonchat repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know (not speculate about) what her discussions were with the Omaha coach, about longevity and the possibility of moving on to a better job, when he hired her? If so, what were they? If not, how can anyone form a judgment about the rightness or wrongness of her leaving when she did?

ping and ytrs repped this.
  23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would be willing to bet anything that during the interview process the idea she would only be at Omaha for a few months was never brought up. Assistants come and go in a program and will always want to better themselves and career. As I’ve said I think that is a pretty classless move by this coach and there are people who agree with me, and based on this forum there are also folks who disagree.

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That is the issue- “an entire spring.” No demonstration of commitment to the program and the athletes over the course of an actual season. I do understand leave for a better position but when you’ve committed to a coach and a program at least give them a fall.

Dixie State hire is a good resume, bad character hire. I’m sure she will do well there if she makes it to preseason before leaving for another job.

25. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Admins aren't wi
    Sexual harassment is an AWFUL AWFUL thing and a very very serious accusation that has affected many people. I would be very careful throwing it around flippantly.